Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 851,453 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I always preferred The Bounty with that stellar cast: Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson.  Plus a Vangelis soundtrack?  Game! Set! Match!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - 7/10

There is some some pretty stiff acting her, which I'm going to credit to poor direction. But there's so much I love about this film that I'm willing to let it slide. The casting is very good. I can't imagine anyone else but Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi and Liam Neeson brings a quiet dignity as Qui-Gon Jinn. Natalie Portman is of course a phenomenal actress and sort of gets two different roles to play with here. Her Queen Amidala voice and persona is so different from Padmé that it truly feels like two different people. Jake Lloyd is decent enough as Anakin and I have no real issues with his performance here, especially given his age.

The villains are great as well. Ian McDiarmid's Palpatine is one of my all time favorite bad guys. He doesn't get the chance to be truly EVIL here, but does a good job nevertheless, and it's interesting seeing his rise to power. Darth Maul is a very formidable villain and Ray Park's performance and physicality lends itself so well to this character. Seeing him take on two Jedi knights is one of the best lightsaber duels in the Star Wars saga.

I am overall very satisfied with the costume and set design, not to mention the fantastic score by John Williams.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 14, 2019, 01:01:49 PM
I always preferred The Bounty with that stellar cast: Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson.  Plus a Vangelis soundtrack?  Game! Set! Match!

I really need to see that one. So far I've only seen the 62 and 30 versions, but I hear good things about The Bounty.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 15, 2019, 03:58:34 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 14, 2019, 01:01:49 PM

I really need to see that one. So far I've only seen the 62 and 30 versions, but I hear good things about The Bounty.

The Bounty is such a hidden gem like Rutger Hauer's The Hitcher. But this time, it has never really gotten any play in the United States because it had so much nudity. All the native women were topless. Long stretches of dialogue were done topless. Other countries are less offended of such things but American television would just not have it. So there was not much replaying to build an audience. Ironically it's also one of those films that only received a PG rating, released in that period of - if the nudity wasn't sexual in nature, it didn't require an R rating.

And as always, just a Vangelis score is worth a viewing on its own.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - 7/10

This is probably the Star Wars movie I find myself watching the least, at least out of the first six saga films. For some reason I always imagine it as worse than it is. Much like TPM, it has its flaws, but there's so much good stuff to make up for it.

I genuinely do think that Padmé and Anakin have some decent chemistry together and the romance can definitely be cute and even touching together. But then there's some cringeworthy dialogue and stiff directing that stops it from being really good.

McGregor continues to be an excellent Obi-Wan, but I do not agree with the hair and beard they went for hair. It does not suit him well. Something I do agree with is the costume design in general, especially when it comes to Padmé. As far as I'm concerned, Padmé's white suit surpasses even Slave Leia as the hottest Star Wars costume, missing midriff or not.

Some very cool things spread throughout the movie. Jango Fett, the Clone Army and Jedi waging war on the droids, mini nukes in an asteroid field.

I do feel like Anakin committing mass murder on women and children should have been a major warning sign for Padmé.

Also...

TLJ: "It's impossible to track someone through lightspeed."

AotC: (Obi-Wan casually throwing a tracker on Jango's ship and tracking him through lightspeed)

Kradan

Kradan

Death to Smoochy (2002)

Absolutely loved it. Probably, the kindest movie I've ever seen. Doesn't feel as 2002 movie to me though. More like something from 80's .

Huggs

Huggs

Miracle on 34th street (4/5)
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas - original (5/5)
Elf (3/5)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 15, 2019, 05:52:10 PM
Death to Smoochy (2002)

Absolutely loved it. Probably, the kindest movie I've ever seen. Doesn't feel as 2002 movie to me though. More like something from 80's .

"I'm going on safari, motherf**ker! SAFARRRRRI!" elephant noises :laugh:

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 15, 2019, 10:07:40 PM

Which version?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 15, 2019, 10:51:31 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 15, 2019, 10:07:40 PM

Which version?

Death to Smoochy (2002)

"You're the real thing Shmeldon"

Shasvre

Shasvre

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - 9/10

My favorite of the prequel trilogy. It does a wonderful job wrapping up this part of the saga, as well as tying it together with the OT.

The cast is at their very best here and the directing also seems to have improved over the previous two films. I don't really have that much to say here, other than that I enjoy this film immensely.

Standout Scene/Moment

The opening space battle over Coruscant. The opera house scene. Order 66. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin and Yoda vs. Darth Sidious. The end montage.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Shasvre on Dec 15, 2019, 11:54:49 PMThe opening space battle over Coruscant.

That scene pretty much sums up why I don't like the prequels. The space battle at the end of Return of the Jedi is one of the most visually impressive effects sequences I've ever seen (even all these years later), whereas the one at the start of Revenge of the Sith is just an incoherent mess. It seems to me as though CGI let Lucas go completely overboard, whereas the limitations of practical effects meant he had to hold back to some degree on the original trilogy, and the movies were all the better for it.

I do love Grievous, though. I've got a giant Lego model of him at home, four lightsabres and all.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Repo Man
A classic bat s**t all over the place cult film.

Patchwork
I found myself really enjoying this. Great performances. and laugh out loud funny in places

Beverly Hills Cop 2
An enjoyable sequel.

Black Christmas (2019)
What an absolute load of s**t. So badly written. They've just taken the title for name recognition to get it released. They throw so much at it, including a plot line that's wasted. Very few of the characters are like able and they even steal a scare from Exorcist 3. They could have set this film at any time of the year.

Borg vs McEnroe
Really nicely done. Loved the back and forth in the timeline leading up to the Wimbledon 1980 finals

ELF
I'd never actually seen this before. Heartwarming and funny

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Shasvre on Dec 15, 2019, 11:54:49 PM
Standout Scene/Moment

The opening space battle over Coruscant. The opera house scene. Order 66. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin and Yoda vs. Darth Sidious. The end montage.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Coruscant battle, but the rest I indubitably agree. I'm also a fan of the Anakin & Padme looking through windows across the city from their respective towers scene. It conveys such a sense of foreboding. Well done!

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 15, 2019, 10:51:31 PM
Death to Smoochy (2002)

"I'm going on safari, motherf**ker! SAFARRRRRI!" elephant noises :laugh:

Love that one especially .

Huggs

Huggs

Deadpool 2: Extended Cut (3.5/5)

"I'm merely a vessel for the Lord"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed