Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 851,466 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Independence Day - Blu-ray

"The aliens abused him......sexually"

SM

SM

Mad Max

First time I'd watched this all the way though in a very long time.  Read the novelisation again then watched the flick, and it really went up in my estimation.  I always though the first film was a bit dull after the first action scenes until you get to the end.  So you had a great 15 minutes at the start and a great 15 minutes at the end but an hour in the middle that could be a bit slow.

Having read the novel again and getting all the background I'd forgotten about the world they inhabit, then catching bits of that world seeping through in to the film, I have a new appreciation for it.  I almost teared up when Jessie and Sprog are run over despite seeing that scene a million times.  I'd forgotten the menace and tension when Toecutter is on screen, particularly his scenes with Johnny and how he's grooming him against the advice of Bubba.  And little things about how there's constant references to the 'code 3' (the Nightrider incident at the start) throughout the film, and then at the end when Max is hunting the bikies there's a message that you'll miss if you aren't listening properly, coming over the radio about the theft of the pursuit special by an MFP officer and how it's "a potential code 3".  Which links back to Max quitting and telling Fifi that if he spends any more time on the road he becomes a terminal crazy like Nightrider.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I like the original Mad Max, but I do agree with your original assessment that it drags in the middle. The revenge ride finale is amazing, but it takes too long to get there and when it finally does it's over rather quickly. I still enjoy it, but nothing like as much as the second.

Didn't realise they'd done a novel adaptation. Might have to get a hold of that. I hope it's all written in Australian.

Prez

Prez

Remember seeing that film as a young kid growing up in Adelaide.

Quoted that film (and still do) all the time.

`Bubba, Johnny ... ffffffff'
'I am the nightrider ... baby!'
'Must've cut his heart out, eh?'

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
An enjoyable Hammer film if its your thing. Takes about an hour before its kicks in really then its done in 30 minutes lol

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Feb 27, 2019, 12:18:40 PM
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
An enjoyable Hammer film if its your thing. Takes about an hour before its kicks in really then its done in 30 minutes lol

I remember liking the twist in that one.

Spoiler
The bad guy is the mummy's immortal brother, right?
[close]

SM

SM

Quote from: Prez on Feb 27, 2019, 12:07:05 PM
Remember seeing that film as a young kid growing up in Adelaide.

Quoted that film (and still do) all the time.

`Bubba, Johnny ... ffffffff'
'I am the nightrider ... baby!'
'Must've cut his heart out, eh?'

A guy I work with is fond of dropping "Nothing a year in the tropics wouldn't fix" into conversations.  I think I'm the only one who gets it.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

L I F E

Best Alien film since 1992's 2010 version.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 27, 2019, 08:52:02 PM
L I F E

"Hey, a new lifeform! Let's poke it a bunch of times. Oh, it stops moving. Better try electric shocks. Well, that's strange. It doesn't seem to like this and starts becoming hostile."

And they say Prometheus has stupid scientists...

The Old One

The Old One

Correct quarantine,
correct basic science and
believable characters.

Prometheus? None whatsoever.

Prometheus is INFINITELY inferior.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Feb 27, 2019, 09:17:53 PM
L I F E

"Hey, a new lifeform! Let's poke it a bunch of times. Oh, it stops moving. Better try electric shocks. Well, that's strange. It doesn't seem to like this and starts becoming hostile."

Well, it's based on true events...

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 27, 2019, 09:25:00 PM
Correct quarantine,
believable characters.

I can't get over the poking.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Feb 27, 2019, 09:17:53 PM
L I F E

100%

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 27, 2019, 09:25:00 PM
Correct quarantine,
believable characters.

Infinitely?

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah. It is.

To infinity.

Prometheus' insultingly ludicrous.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

It's not my review, but an eye-catcher of a title on IMDB  ;D

1/10 God-awful movie that makes Prometheus look like a brilliant sci-fi movie

Warning: Spoilers

Spoiler
This has to be the worst sci-fi movie I have ever seen (and trust me I have seen a lot). It is an insult to anyone with just half a brain. But let me give you a little taste of this gem:

It starts off with a capsule with a soil probe from Mars on its way to Earth that is out of control due to a crash with little meteorites. The ISS, where the probe should be processed, has to catch it manually, which they do by means of an extendable arm. Okay. I wont go into the physics off this, but if you have ever seen how much energy is set free when a car crashes into something with 100km/h relative velocity, you should know that such a catching maneuver is bound to go south (not even talking about the problem of maintaining a space station in geostationary orbit with nothing but little jet nozzles whilst trying to get it into a configuration such that it has low relative velocity with respect to a capsule that is headed straight for Earth with something like 20000km/h). Mind you, at this point we are 5 minutes into the movie and the science was already thrown out of the window.

Fast forward. We are in the CDC approved lab, which is a plexiglass shielded section of the ISS with nothing but a plexiglass door without any further safety precautions. Inside this section is a glove box, where they keep the probe. Turns out the probe contains life which has been idle for about 4 billion years without decaying (obviously entropy doesn't apply to aliens). Well, how about we try to wake it without further investigation? Yeah, let's do that.

Fast forward. It has grown to a hand-sized organism, but has fallen into a slumber again. It's still inside the glove box and attacks the biologist who tried to wake it by electrocuting it. It breaks his tool and his hand, which causes him to faint, and leads to its escape from the box by means of using the broken tool to cut open the glove of the glove box. (yeah, it only took earth's organisms like 3 billion years to learn to use tools, this thing does it in less than 12 hours). But fear not, whilst the life form is busy eating a rat, a colleague hops in the lab and pulls the biologist out. Surprise, surprise, the organism latches on him, so that the other guys have to seal him into the lab. He tries to burn the organism with an oxygen torch and with a flame thrower (which they obviously have ready to use on a space station, ofc). Welp, it doesn't help, this carbon-water-based organism is immune to fire (hey, because chemistry doesn't apply to aliens, didn't you know?). Subsequently, the organism kills him and eats him from the inside. The fire has caused the air vents to open, which somehow can only be closed one by one, and gives the organism time to flee.

Jup, we are not even 20 minutes into this masterpiece but the stupidity is mind-boggling. I could keep on writing about a lot more of this utterly dumb movie (like the organism being able to survive in space for prolonged times, the space station being out of fuel just at a time where it is convenient for the "plot", the organism drinking toxic liquid coolant, the space station going on a descent right after it has been pushed outward on an ascending course (because screw logic), etc.), but let me finish by saying that in the end of the movie this organism has figured out how to read instruments in an escape pod, how to steer said escape pod and how to safely reenter it into earth's atmosphere, all whilst fighting the astronaut in the escape pod. (Which was tried to be masked as plot twist. but you could see that one from a mile away). And although it has killed every astronaut basically on sight, it decided to leave this last one in the escape pod alive with itself latched to him. Wanna know why? Because it has anticipated that, despite it successfully completing the landing of a space ship, it won't be able to open the door of the escape pod and someone on the outside has to do it for it. Which some fisher men actually do, despite the fact that they can clearly see that inside the pod there is a bloody, heavily injured astronaut with a man-sized alien octopus attached to it.

I urge you to not go to watch this movie. Waste of time and money. I have suffered through it. No need for you to suffer too

[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed