Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,651 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2012, 07:52:41 PM
QuoteCompare this performance to even the actors, like I said, who were only on screen for a few minutes in 'Aliens', all meant to be from either Weyland-Yutani or bodies which they were clearly linked to.

You mean we should compare it to all those scenes of the marines pitching to a stadium full of people?

No, the characters I referred to in my earlier reply - the ones with speaking parts at Ripley's board of enquiry. Paul Maxwell's Van Leuwen came across as more believable, in my view. Obviously, Burke most definitely did, but I'm saying if we want to compare like with like, then there's an obvious example of someone with even less screen time than this gave. He wasn't performing for a stadium, but it was still for an audience, of sorts.

Up to an individual's preference, obviously. Just saying any would-be effect this footage was meant to have on me, as a potential customer, was fouled up by the false impression of the performance.

Quote from: Pn2501 on Mar 01, 2012, 08:19:11 PM
Go back and read all my replies to the cavlda quotes you referenced, then give proper counterpoints rather than your tenuous linking of Guys performance to James Mason, like that would be a problem anyway?

Firstly, I did read them. I happened to disagree with them.

Secondly, I was responding to a reply of someone who was convinced it's a channelling of John Hurt. I say, the verbal inflections and such are a lot closer to a James Mason impression - and it's very possible he was doing that, since he's an actor who was famous for portraying aristocratic commanding characters. Which seems to be what they were going for with this.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 01, 2012, 11:02:09 PM
I believe that this kind of viral campaign is unprecedented, from the caliber of actor they've hired for the piece/s to its exectution.

I doubt it really cost them anything, aside from the special effects they green screened in. :) Probably pulled him aside to do it on the very day he put his film performance in. Wouldn't have cost them extra.

It is clever, as an idea, because it incorporates the TED phenomenon. I just don't feel the execution was what it could've been, that's all and am surprised it led to so much celebration and praise, when it seemed so average.

escroto

escroto

Quote from: SM on Mar 02, 2012, 03:00:45 AM
The planet is a moon orbiting another larger planet it would seem - like LV-426.  But right now, it doesn't feel at all like LV-426.

Unless the events in the film change the Derelict and planet to what we see in Alien.
isn't that the Derelict about to crash-land on the Acheron Moon? (0:21 - 0:23 min.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU#ws

That landscape looks pretty much like Lv-426 to me, and that ship is clearly going down, so...

SM

SM

The planet we see in the trailer has a wide open plain with high mountains either side (ie. a glacial valley).  LV-426 is covered with a multitude of low pointed rocks, and we never see any high mountains.

QuoteNo, the characters I referred to in my earlier reply - the ones with speaking parts at Ripley's board of enquiry. Paul Maxwell's Van Leuwen came across as more believable, in my view. Obviously, Burke most definitely did, but I'm saying if we want to compare like with like, then there's an obvious example of someone with even less screen time than this gave. He wasn't performing for a stadium, but it was still for an audience, of sorts.

Different performances require different things.  Van Leuwen and Burke weren't pitching products and ideas to a stadium full of people, so there's no real basis for comparison.  Weyland looked and sounded exactly like a guy at some big product launch.

escroto

escroto

Quote from: SM on Mar 02, 2012, 08:05:34 AM
The planet we see in the trailer has a wide open plain with high mountains either side (ie. a glacial valley).  LV-426 is covered with a multitude of low pointed rocks, and we never see any high mountains.
Seems like Lv-426 "redux" to me, with modern CGI tech applied to visuals. The overall " blue atmosphere" of that planet seems too similar to me to Lv-426. Also, the Derelict was resting on a very small (low) montain range, not volcanic rocks, so I guess there can be high mountains in Lv-426 as well.

The fact that we see a ship going down is also relevant. I think that's "Prometheus" (the wheelchair guy?, the engineer born of Noomi Rapace who came to "appreciate" humans a bit during Its short life?) who's about to crash-land on that derelic ship class he has probably stolen to the gods (the jockeys/other engineers, the elder probably) with the cargo (the fire, the Aliens) inside. Then he gets his punishment, the fossilized suit attached to the chair representing the old legend of the titan Prometheus bound to a rock, etc.

SiL

SiL

QuoteSeems like Lv-426 "redux" to me,
In that it looks literally nothing like it except for a bluish hue?

Master

Master

Planet from Prometheus trailer looks nothing like Lv-426 from Alien. It`s different in nearly every aspect so I don`t think those are related.

About Weyland`s speech I have no problem with both his performence nor accent, but things he`s speaking are full of truisms and jumping to conclusion.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 02, 2012, 06:38:44 AMIt is clever, as an idea, because it incorporates the TED phenomenon. I just don't feel the execution was what it could've been, that's all and am surprised it led to so much celebration and praise, when it seemed so average.

Since Mr. Weyland allegedly showed off himself as potent and potentially iniquitous ruller, maybe we have been fed with such a stereotyped performance of big corporation's top guy for the purpose of later revelation he might not be such weicked as he seemed? Probably it was the objective of Weyland report's ostentatious and dramatic execution... WhO knows? At least Lindelof in his interwiev on TED related, that we actually don't know anything about this guy so far, and this sounds as a hint to me. But nevertheless, these are just speculations, the film will answer  ;)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

"It is clever, as an idea, because it incorporates the TED phenomenon. I just don't feel the execution was what it could've been, that's all and am surprised it led to so much celebration and praise, when it seemed so average."

It received much celebration and praise because it's pretty damn cool, and it was largely successful. Just because you don't particularly like it doesn't make it bad, or means that it failed. I haven't seen anything quite like this for a viral campaign before. And comparing Ripley's pseudo-inquest with the suits is by no means comparable. They were in a small room chronicling a series of events.....NOT talking to an audience of 100k people or more. Obviously it's okay that you don't like something, but poo pooing it as ineffectual doesn't seem fair when to the larger majority, it IS effective. It's an anecdotal piece, not in the film.

T Dog

T Dog

It could well be LV 426 if they reverse terraform it to a point where it becomes "almost primordial" as Ash says.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The planet is not LV-426.

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 02, 2012, 12:44:40 PM
It could well be LV 426 if they reverse terraform it to a point where it becomes "almost primordial" as Ash says.

But why would they do that, then leave, and then return later and spend vast sums of cash to make it habitable again? Purely from a business point of view, it would just be pointless.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Vulhala on Mar 02, 2012, 03:08:28 PM

But why would they do that, then leave, and then return later and spend vast sums of cash to make it habitable again? Purely from a business point of view, it would just be pointless.
Plus, this planet looks pretty mighty (going by my limited first impressions). LV426 is just some bumf**k backwater planetoid.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 02, 2012, 03:35:00 PM
Quote from: Vulhala on Mar 02, 2012, 03:08:28 PM

Plus, this planet looks pretty mighty (going by my limited first impressions). LV426 is just some bumf**k backwater planetoid.

Where is the concrete evidence that the planet isn't LV-426?

Vulhala

Vulhala

There isn't any. There's also no concrete evidence it isn't Narnia, but we can assume it isn't. It looks nothing like 426.

Dont forget the 'dark sand storm' scene that sweeps Noomi off her feet. The large particles in the storm and the way that the scene is framed around the image of the Prometheus landing strut is a big hint that this planet could actually be LV426 prior to some terraforming catastrophe where a toxic substance is ejected into the atmosphere and transforms the entire landscape and derelict into the familiar giger melted bone forms.

Also the planet in Prometheus appears to be a moon of a larger planet.

And best of all, dont forget Ridley's own 'senior moment' comment when he said the he was going *back* to a planet called zeta reticuli! :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed