Started by yhe1, Dec 29, 2018, 08:08:57 PM

The Predator vs AVP 2004

The Predator
8 (15.1%)
AVP 2004
45 (84.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author
The Predator vs AVP 2004 (Read 5,756 times)

yhe1

yhe1

Which is the better movie?

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

While The Predator has some stuff i enjoyed, i have to go with AVP.

With all it's many flaws, it still feels somewhat above The Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

If this was AVPR it's no contest. AVPR all the way.

But AVP is so blah to me. All of it. Just "The Fugitive" lab breakout alone is better than anything in AVP.

Huggs

Huggs

AVP, all the way. Everything is better than The Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 29, 2018, 09:20:56 PM

No way brother. I'd put AVP a tiny hair of a step lower than "The Predator", then (I know you like it but) the Newborn and Alien Resurrection in the bottom of the pit. Ripley-8... ugh. Next they'll bring Dutch back as a cyborg. Resurrection was the all time worst of it in my book.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 29, 2018, 09:29:57 PM

No way brother. I'd put AVP a tiny hair of a step lower than "The Predator", then (I know you like it but) the Newborn and Alien Resurrection in the bottom of the pit. Ripley-8... ugh. Next they'll bring Dutch back as a cyborg. Resurrection was the all time worst of it in my book.

Can't say that I agree about AvP and The Predator, but I'll second the bit about Resurrection.  That shit was just bad.  Even in the 90's, I still remember it being just awful :-\  But despite that, The Predator is probably more along the lines of AvPR in my opinion.  Below AvP, but just above or equal to AvPR.

Mrs.Majesty

Mrs.Majesty

Totally agree with you.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Dec 29, 2018, 09:37:57 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 29, 2018, 09:29:57 PM

Can't say that I agree about AvP and The Predator, but I'll second the bit about Resurrection.  That shit was just bad.  Even in the 90's, I still remember it being just awful :-\ 

Unfortunately I tried watching it again 2 weeks ago, and it was more awful than I even remembered it! And I remembered it as awful. So, so, disappointingly bad.  Only Alien, Aliens and Alien3 exists in this brain of mine!  ;D

QuoteBut despite that, The Predator is probably more along the lines of AvPR in my opinion.  Below AvP, but just above or equal to AvPR.

This is such a weird comparison anyway. "The Predator" vs AVP 2004?  It would make more sense polling "Alien Ressurection" vs "The Predator " because they are both basically parodies of their respective franchises.

Darkness

Darkness

I'd say AvP solely for the remote Antarctica setting. The Predator gave me too many vibes of Requiem even though it was a better movie.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh boy I'm not quite ready to put the fork into The Predator just yet but...

Vermillion

Vermillion

AvP > The Predator

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

This is actually tougher than I thought but I think AVP is definitely the more grounded movie and that is saying a lot considering the super fast life cycle in it. It is also more coherent and at least tried to build suspense even if it didn't have the best execution.

Huntsman

Huntsman

AvP. I've gone off TP in recent times.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 30, 2018, 02:16:30 AM
This is actually tougher than I thought ...

Same for me.
These movies have very different stories but I rate them about the same.
- AVP
Positives; Mayan puzzle/maze pyramid, AVP combat, hybrid, Alien Queen...
Negatives; It seems AVP should easily win but the actors (except for Henriksen) are very weak, and the pacing lacks tension.
- The Predator;
Positives; the lead actors are good, action pacing is right / Predator stunts look good, decent special effects.
Negatives; the humor doesn't work.

:)

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

AVP all the way for me. Despite some odd choices like setting the film on modern day Earth, it ultimately accomplished what it set out to do which was finally give us a movie combining both of these beloved movie monsters. It didn't seek to redefine both characters from the ground up like The Predator did. The Predator took what was one of the most beautifully simplistic movie monster plot and concept and throw it all out for a less than half baked remake of any Spielbergian 80's alien movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed