What made you happy today?

Started by Rick Grimes, Feb 08, 2013, 03:09:06 PM

Author
What made you happy today? (Read 591,966 times)

Wysps

Wysps

Well, if it does crash and burn, hopefully it's after you get paid  ;) I jest...sorta.  In any event, it'll be a good experience to get your toes (back) in the water, if you're feeling a little rusty or unsure.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 11, 2018, 12:25:24 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 11, 2018, 12:12:21 AM
I've seen idiots be indecisive about their lanes before, but haven't seen any accidents because of it. That's incredible on another level. Glad you and everyone involved are OK.

Yeah, it's one of the dumber things I've seen during my years on the road. Pulling into oncoming traffic on a two lane bridge is just nuts. I don't think he was trying to avoid the person behind him, because he went back into his own lane. Nevertheless, he still pulled in front of me when he could easily see me.

It makes no damn sense really. Somebody was being an idiot, and people could've been killed.

Some people are just incredibly impulsive, with no sense of responsibility or care (hell even awareness) of others around them.  Coming from behavioral health, road rage incidents just aren't shocking anymore.  I recall patients I've had in the past and then see how people behave on the road - it's amazing that there aren't more accidents that are intentional. 

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Wysps on Nov 11, 2018, 11:20:20 PM
Well, if it does crash and burn, hopefully it's after you get paid  ;) I jest...sorta.  In any event, it'll be a good experience to get your toes (back) in the water, if you're feeling a little rusty or unsure.

It's definitely challenging. I have to write middle grade fiction. I'm used to writing adult fiction (like Aliens fanfiction), so I'm struggling to come up with something good that doesn't treat the audience like they're stupid.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 12, 2018, 12:03:37 AM

It's definitely challenging. I have to write middle grade fiction. I'm used to writing adult fiction (like Aliens fanfiction), so I'm struggling to come up with something good that doesn't treat the audience like they're stupid.

Throw in some farts. They'll love it.  ;D

In all seriousness, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Don't be afraid to fail. It happens, and it is definitely not the end of the world. Just do your best, that's all anyone can reasonably ask of you. And be proud, not everyone would have the guts to even attempt it. Best of luck.

And make sure you're keeping track of everything you write and send. You don't want someone else who seems legit to be scamming you out of your own ideas and presenting them as their own to someone else.

As for what made me happy today. There were a few sights and sounds that led to a wonderful feeling of nostalgia. Last night, I ran across several unreleased tracks by an old band I used to enjoy in the old days. It was like I was transported back 15 years, a truly religious experience. So today, I was driving the old truck into town, the same truck I used to drive to gigs in as a kid, and I had it shined up like new. And so I get to walmart and I'm standing in the middle of the store with these new songs from my favorite old band on my mind. And lo and behold, there was a galaga cabinet a few feet away. Anybody who knows me, knows galaga is my game, and I only see those old things here and there, so that was freaky.

Then I was walking through the electronics section looking for the music, and noticed the NES classics in the display case. So I'm still looking for the cd's and I turn the corner, and they've got just a bunch of vinyl. I'm not the biggest fan of vinyl, but I listened to a lot of it as a kid, primarily Ozzy, Jimi, Iron Maiden, etc.

So I just stopped and looked around for a second, and it all just hit me. There were NES consoles for sale to my left, brand new vinyl records on my right, a galaga cabinet blaring away in the distance, and new songs by that old band were playing in my head. My cousin noticed I seemed awful happy all of a sudden and asked me what was up. I just smiled and told him it seemed like I'd gone back. He said I was grinning from ear to ear. For a few seconds, all the craziness of the past 15-20 years was wiped away, and everybody and everything that's gone, was back again.

Life's a wild and tough old thing, but every now and then it surprises you with a sweet feeling, fleeting as it may be. And the one I got today, sure was beautiful. God bless those little coincidences that come together in such a special way.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 12, 2018, 03:44:24 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 12, 2018, 12:03:37 AM

Throw in some farts. They'll love it.  ;D

In all seriousness, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Don't be afraid to fail. It happens, and it is definitely not the end of the world. Just do your best, that's all anyone can reasonably ask of you. And be proud, not everyone would have the guts to even attempt it. Best of luck.

And make sure you're keeping track of everything you write and send. You don't want someone else who seems legit to be scamming you out of your own ideas and presenting them as their own to someone else.

That's exactly what my dad told me. I know ghostwriting means my name isn't on the final product, but I hope these people keep their word and pay me. The website claims it will work with you if you suspect you've been scammed, and I hope that's true.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 12, 2018, 11:39:34 AM
That's exactly what my dad told me.

You just had to go and make me feel old, didn't you?  ;D

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 12, 2018, 11:47:30 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 12, 2018, 11:39:34 AM
That's exactly what my dad told me.

You just had to go and make me feel old, didn't you?  ;D

Sorry. I didn't know.  :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

So I was having a basically good, but brutally busy day at work today, when this chick came in. She was alittle older than me and she had a guy with her, but she was rockin' some sweet curves in those yoga pants, so I didn't care. She did some lovely things with her posterior. I enjoyed them very much.

So what? I'm a man, sue me.  ;D

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

It snowed up here.

I know Thanksgiving comes before Christmas, but I can't help myself. I listen to Christmas music when I bake. I'm sprinkling the holiday spirit in my writing.

I might need help.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's my Friday!!  ;D A meeting I didn't want to got to has been cancelled. I've got a big Stargate convention coming up this weekend. Get to fetch our new Nintendo Switch tomorrow before we go too. Battlefield V tonight! 5 day weekend!  ;D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 15, 2018, 09:50:49 AMI've got a big Stargate convention coming up this weekend.

I noticed the other day my girlfriend's dad has a signed photo of Amanda Tapping in his living room. Don't suppose you fancy earning me some brownie points? :P

Sounds like a busy weekend! Enjoy!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 15, 2018, 09:50:49 AM
It's my Friday!!  ;D A meeting I didn't want to got to has been cancelled. I've got a big Stargate convention coming up this weekend. Get to fetch our new Nintendo Switch tomorrow before we go too. Battlefield V tonight! 5 day weekend!  ;D

Sweet!

I'm starting a 4 day weekend today. Going to try and pick up a NES Classic this weekend.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Christmas music on the radio. Make some hot chocolate and get some writing done.

Or sit here and shoot the breeze with you guys.

"We got milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate with marshmallows, a big-ass tub of marshmallow fluff . . ."

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Sounds like a terrific weekend.

What made me happy today is recovering from a wicked sore throat. A good thing that happened from this I found some unusual ALIEN goodies on line while recuperating  8) ;D

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Nov 16, 2018, 03:44:55 PM

Sounds like a terrific weekend.

What made me happy today is recovering from a wicked sore throat. A good thing that happened from this I found some unusual ALIEN goodies on line while recuperating  8) ;D

Are they as unusual as this Hudson vinyl doll I found on Google Images that looks like a blend of GI Joe and Barbie?

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

No nothing like that custom Hudson doll.  :laugh:   I collect printed items pertaining to the ALIEN franchise.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed