Last TV Show You Watched

Started by Predator Queen, Mar 29, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

Author
Last TV Show You Watched (Read 494,292 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Breaking Bad S05 E01 "Live Free or Die"

A great opening to the final season. The basic plot was actually rather amusing in its execution. f**king magnets, how do they work? :laugh:

Breaking Bad S05 E02 "Madrigal"

Yep, the show is keeping a steady streak of quality right about now. It may even break the tradition of 1-2 kind of boring episodes a season at this point.

Breaking Bad S05 E03 "Hazard Pay"

I'm liking how this seems to be setting up for the rest of the season. The new cooking scheme that Walt and Jesse have going is actually pretty clever and interesting to watch. Oh, and there was a bonding scene set to the two of them watching a Three Stooges short. That alone makes the episode awesome. :laugh:

Vertigo

Vertigo

Just got round to finishing Dark Angel.

I scribbled about the first season a few months ago...
Spoiler
Quote from: Vertigo on Nov 23, 2013, 08:47:55 PM
Just bought the Dark Angel season 1 boxed set, and am currently three episodes in.

In case you don't know, it's a James Cameron-created series starring 19-year-old Jessica Alba, from 2000. It's science fiction, set in a moderately dystopian 2019; she's an escaped military experiment of genetic manipulation and Spartan-like conditioning.
It bears a lot of Cameron hallmarks. Highly visionary, well-made and emotive, but prone to two-dimensional characters and some illogical interactions.
One of the most remarkable things about it now, is how prescient it was. It predicted massive recession, a society-altering terrorist attack, surveillance drones, a second war in Iraq, and hackers attempting to play moral watchdog on the government and big business. Obviously most of these elements are presented in exaggerated form, but I do wonder if psychic powers are the secret to Cameron's success.

Unfortunately it's let down by a sledgehammer approach to gender roles. This is obviously a show that's been made in the wake of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, with its arse-kicking heroine and feminist slant, but it takes the movement to an extreme - rarely missing the opportunity to beat you over the head with the knowledge that men are pigs (aside from the main love interest, and the occasional largely silent bodyguard). We're scum, and the default attitude towards us should be disdain. It makes sense for lead character Max, who's had a childhood traumatised and life ruined by military men - that's a central concept of the show, and it's fine. But it's a world view that's shared by her friends and coworkers, and reinforced by nearly every straight white man she meets. I'd accuse the show of misandry, but... it's primarily written by men.

Still. It makes for good watching. It feels strange coming back to this after so long, when Jessica Alba is now more commonly associated with fairly fluffy roles, but she is perfect in this role of prickly yet feminine killing machine. You don't see the joins in her performance at all. Good action, involving plot, and a brilliantly conceived universe on display.
[close]

The second season's been tough going, it is not as good as the first. It loses its grounding in realism, and that prescient view of the future. Great characters are written out, others are introduced that in some cases seriously challenge plausibility, and in others are just annoying or useless. Existing supporting characters become an afterthought, right through to the end. There's some seriously dodgy writing, including the increasingly bullshit attempts at keeping the two romantic leads apart (she contracts a virus that's harmful only to him, preventing them from touching - seriously). And basically, it's a once-promising show that lost its way and couldn't decide whether it wanted to be Buffy or X-men.

Still, it's loaded with some decent actors, it's still very well made, and it's still gritty and involving storytelling. By the end it does pick up some serious pace and becomes pretty damn watchable. But in the end, there are a shit-ton of unresolved plot points, and so the ultimate legacy of the show remains Jessica Alba at her thermonuclear hottest.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Penny Dreadful Ep. 1

It was an alright episode. Definitely has me interested, although the ending is something of a pet peeve because I thought it was MUCH too early for
Spoiler
Frankenstein to bring someone back from the dead (not even by his own doing...in a way) this early in is life.
[close]

First Blood

First Blood

How was the Dalton?

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: First Blood on Apr 29, 2014, 04:08:50 AM
How was the Dalton?

Dalton was jefe. He performed a simple, but beast takedown while Eva Green distracted the enemy. That was some Batman flanking right there. Dalton is going to be awesome as the show goes on, I'm sure.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Breaking Bad S05 E04 "Fifty-One"

Another great episode. It managed to be a bit slower paced but still progressed the plot along nicely. It was awesome seeing Walt call Skyler out on her shit for once, and absolutely demolish her. Oh, and Betsy Brandt is still planty unf.  :-*

Breaking Bad S05 E05 "Dead Freight"

f**king great. the whole setup was genuinely interesting, and the last ten minutes or so was incredibly intense. And that ending... f**k. :-\

Breaking Bad S05 E06 "Buyout"

Yep, this season is definitely keeping up a streak of one great episode after another.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Clannad Season one

Just kill me.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Fargo - episode 3

This show is quickly getting to Breaking Bad writing status. Wow.
Spoiler
1. Lester is in deep shit. Very soon.

2. Molly is getting better (and seems to be the only police officer actually doing her job right...)

3. Sam Hess' wife just became ultra hotter and even more transparent. Also, a terrible parent :P

4. Malvo is becoming a "biblical disaster" for everyone in his path.

5. AK-s are ultra fun to shoot!  :laugh:
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Wow, really? :o I may have to seek this out.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

It has tones of BB writing, obviously not as dark or drug related. A++ show

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Clannad After Story

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Attack on Titan - Episode 1

If you know me, you know I already enjoy the show despite it's various flaws, blah, blah people fight giant monsters that's good enough for me. I'm just gonna talk 'bout the dub.

Started off pretty crap with some pretty shit voice acting for characters who are currently children, but by the end it got really damn good. I can only see it improving as the show goes on, and the clips shown from later on when the characters are older definitely sounded waaaaay better, so I feel I needn't worry at all. :)

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Fargo - Episode 4

This was a roller coaster ride episode, amazing writing this show has. Best episode so far!

Spoiler
I had a feeling the beginning of the episode was gonna have a theme to it near the end, my instincts were correct.

Malvo's name is discovered as he is coming out of questioning. His comment to the cop as he was leaving Duluth PD was great. Heck, the entire episode's scenes with him were fantastic!

Lester barely escapes his death, only to be reunited with his abductors at the end of the episode. This is Breaking Bad feelings all over again...
Spoiler
Can't wait for another week to see what happens!!!
[close]
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Breaking Bad S05 E07 "Say My Name"

f**king hell.  Every episode just seems to top the previous one effortlessly. That ending. :o

Breaking Bad S05 E08 "Gliding Over All"

Okay, I was not expecting the show to take that turn, at all. ANd there was yet another excellent ending. I'd keep watching if I didn't have to get to sleep. :laugh:

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Supernatural:  Season 9

I'm actually impressed with the current season, new, interesting characters, different takes on mythical lore, particularly Cain from the Bible which was an interesting view.  It's has made up for the ridiculously boring Leviathan seasons

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed