Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2016, 08:05:41 PM

Author
Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death (Read 79,826 times)

Russ840

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 18, 2017, 04:56:49 PM
I think Dark Horse lost their way with these Aliens comics but it was possibly through no fault of their own.  If this is a case of Fox giving them direction, and making random changes, then there is not much DH could do in a situation like that.  The business relationship is untenable.  But if the relationship becomes vertically integrated like through direct cooperation between the movie arm and the comic arm of the same company, it could work really well.  Time will tell, but I would say the time has come for change.  I never thought I'd say this.  I mean I used to love Dark Horse.  But they cranked out too much drivel with their licensed material that I am practically done.

Dead Orbit is amazing. I cant recommend it enough.

Perfect-Organism

I read the first issue of dead orbit and it lost me.  I found it trite.  More importantly, does it fit into a grander story or is it just a random "episodic" alien tale?

Russ840

It's self contained. It's just so well executed. The amount of atmosphere created for a comic is impressive. The story is run of the mill but when told so well, that bothers me not. I honestly think it's worth reading all the way through.

What are your preferred Aliens comics?

Perfect-Organism

My preferred ones were the first 2 series by Mark Verheiden.  I really liked the bginning of Aliens: Defiance but it sputtered out half-way through.  Surprisingly, I found the adaptation of Alien 3 to be quite good in terms of mood and ambience.  The Alien graphic novel by Walt Simonson is a classic too.  That's about it in terms of what I really like.  I remain split about Fire and Stone, but I don't mind it that much.

Russ840

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 18, 2017, 08:47:00 PM
My preferred ones were the first 2 series by Mark Verheiden.  I really liked the bginning of Aliens: Defiance but it sputtered out half-way through.  Surprisingly, I found the adaptation of Alien 3 to be quite good in terms of mood and ambience.  The Alien graphic novel by Walt Simonson is a classic too.  That's about it in terms of what I really like.  I remain split about Fire and Stone, but I don't mind it that much.

The first 2 series are among my favs. Book 2 particularly. It looks like the film world in drawn form. The Heavy Metal Alien adaptation is great.

SM

Alien 3 is fairly terrible. All that can recommend it is the depictions of the alternate fates of Dillon and Ripley.

Oh and the covers were nice.

Russ840

SM. What's you fav Alien comic, if I may ?

SM

Series 2, with series 1 a close second.

Par for the course really.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2017, 10:23:06 PM
Alien 3 is fairly terrible. All that can recommend it is the depictions of the alternate fates of Dillon and Ripley.

I couldn't disagree more.  It's been ages since I read it, but I recall it being a great experience.  I only regret they never turned it into a TPB.  But DH dropped that ball on many things, including the Abyss.  (That was completely miscolored BTW).  Maybe in Disney's hands, they will finally release Alien: Illustrated Story, Aliens: Newt's Tale, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection as a bound volume?  That would be nice.  Look athow Marvel recently re-released the original Star Wars adaptations.  They remastered the colors using modern technology.  They look awesome.

windebieste

'ALIEN: The Illustrated Story' has been reprinted by Titan publishing in 2012.  They also published a large scale hardcover Art edition in B&W.  Both are super neat. 

There was also a scaled down version of the comic released as an extra feature in some 'ALIEN' box sets. 

That makes at least 3 re-issues of the item.   Disney may reprint it again.  Who knows? 

-Windebieste.

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 19, 2017, 01:33:13 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 18, 2017, 10:23:06 PM

I couldn't disagree more.  It's been ages since I read it, but I recall it being a great experience.  I only regret they never turned it into a TPB.  But DH dropped that ball on many things, including the Abyss.  (That was completely miscolored BTW).  Maybe in Disney's hands, they will finally release Alien: Illustrated Story, Aliens: Newt's Tale, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection as a bound volume?  That would be nice.  Look athow Marvel recently re-released the original Star Wars adaptations.  They remastered the colors using modern technology.  They look awesome.

It'd be good if they re-released them for those who've never read them, but both Newt's Tale and Alien 3 are very mediocre.  The colours are all wrong and the artwork really doesn't work at all.  Resurrection is better.  The slightly goofy artwork looks a lot like Caro's costume designs, which at least makes it visually interesting - but it's way too condensed in just 2 parts.  Lots of nice dark colouring though.

Perfect-Organism

Granted, compiling the "Quadrilogy" into 1 bound volume would be mostly a completist's exercise, but I would be up for that.

In no way am I diminishing the great work that Titan did in reissuing Alien" Illustrated Story.  That was a great effort, but the other adaptations have simply become inaccessible.  Newt's Tale could use a thorough remastering of the colors.  I for one am very happy with Alien 3 as is, and I can't comment on Resurrection, as I've never read any of the issues.

SM, I wonder if we are reading the same copies of Alien 3.  I respect your opinion, but damn, I loved those 3 issues...

SM

I'm wondering the same thing.  Even all the prisoners other than Dillon looked identical.

Which was pretty film accurate come to think of it...

Perfect-Organism

Yes, I remember you making this same argument in a previous discussion, but alas, as you say, that is exactly like in the movie..

HuDaFuK

Alien 3 wasn't great - SM's already pointed out it's limited high points - but it was miles better than Newt's Tale, which managed to look terrible on top of completely squandering the fall of Hadley's Hope.

Resurrection I enjoyed a hell of a lot more than I expected. Again, as SM says, the weird art style really fit the tone of the film.

The Illustrated Story is by far and away the best of the adaptations. I've said several times how I'm not really a comics guy, and I still adore that regardless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed