Has AvPR improved wih age?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Mar 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Author
Has AvPR improved wih age? (Read 82,867 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: lv_226 on Aug 23, 2016, 08:05:16 PM
Quote from: Russ on Aug 23, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
I've defended this movie in the past. I watched it again recently on Blu-Ray.

It's crap. I don't know what the hell I was on about before and I take it back. Look, I get that they were trying to "amp up" the horror aspect after WS's 15-rated version (which I DO think is ace), but the amping up was just in pure bad taste.

Calling the main bloke Dallas wasn't a nod - it was just daft, they may as well have had the soldier as "Ripley."

The best thing about it was the Yutani tie in at the end - that was neat, considering AvP focused on Weyland. But no - it was horrible. I must listen again the the commentary.

There's a part of me that's annoyed because I keep thinking what SiL and SM could have done if Fox had thrown a few million dollars at them and said "go make a movie" (Apologies to the the other writers and uberNerds out there - SIL and SM sprang to my mind first is all)

They're more than qualified than the Brothers Strausse who had zero MOVIE making experience beforehand (I think it was a trend, wasn't it - get a "hot" advert director and give him a franchise).

So yes - opinion revised. It was bollocks with some (albeit few) redeeming features.

You've seen the light :)

You mean he's seen the dark. ;)  Lack of light was a part of the problem...

frasermaxx

frasermaxx

The only thing good about Avp-r is the wolf predator.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: frasermaxx on Aug 25, 2016, 08:25:55 PM
The only thing good about Avp-r is the wolf predator.

Definitely.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

To be fair, the score wasn't awful.

Kaltes

Kaltes

I don't even remember the score...save for maybe the theme that places when we're introduced to Wolf.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kaltes on Aug 26, 2016, 04:37:43 PM
I don't even remember the score...save for maybe the theme that places when we're introduced to Wolf.

That's exactly it.  It may not be bad, but neither is it memorable.  Alien 3's soundtrack is quite good, and it is thoroughly haunting.  Beautiful music that was.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Just watched AvPR blue ray on my new 4k TV.

I can tell you that it has made all the difference.
It's no longer so dark and I can actually see the movie.

It's really amazing.

Perfect-Organism

Whaaaat?

I can just see everyone on here getting 4K TVs to enjoy their AVPR!  😆  Can you imagine?

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 27, 2016, 10:18:00 PM
I can actually see the movie.
Condolences.  ;)

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 27, 2016, 10:18:00 PM
Just watched AvPR blue ray on my new 4k TV.

It's really amazing.

Thats the problem i have with lcds. do they make 4 k crts? it sounds stupid but would probably look amazing.

Kaltes

Nostromo

Nostromo

You actually let it see the light of day?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 27, 2016, 10:18:00 PMJust watched AvPR blue ray on my new 4k TV.

It's really amazing.

That surprises me. I wouldn't have thought upscaling it to 4k would suddenly solve the darkness issues.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 28, 2016, 09:28:32 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 27, 2016, 10:18:00 PMJust watched AvPR blue ray on my new 4k TV.

It's really amazing.

That surprises me. I wouldn't have thought upscaling it to 4k would suddenly solve the darkness issues.
Bluray hasn't made any difference for me, still have to enhance my brightness. Mind you my tv isn't a 4ktv so who knows.

but I can't imagine brightness would improve the film.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 28, 2016, 04:19:12 PM
but I can't imagine brightness would improve the film.

In terms of story? No. Visuals and effects? Yes. Sort of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed