The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,556 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 22, 2019, 02:04:12 PM
All fair points.

Hmm. Well... The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance looks interesting! ;D

And Amazon has Wheel of Time, adapting an actually completed series, heh.

Nightmare Asylum

Wasn't WOT incomplete when the author died though?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yes.

WOT will be interesting because Magic is featured heavily.   I only read the first four but I remember the main character could sometimes become magic Goku and obliterate massive amounts of enemies in an instant.

LastSonofKrypton

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Heh, heh........uh, they just had to use the Alien franchise as one of the negative examples......

Barna William Donovan at the Department of Communication and Media Culture at Saint Peter's University said alienating fans could indeed put the franchise in danger as a commercial force.

"If audiences are left as angry once the final episode [Game of Thrones] has aired as they are now, any future plans for spinoffs and DVD sales could very well be in jeopardy," he said. "Fan communities do not like to be let down by long-running franchises, and they have often shown that they are willing to walk away from entertainment that disappoints them."

The numbers show that fans will eventually tune out a franchise if it disappoints them enough. 1979′s "Alien" was a surprise hit that grossed $283 million at the domestic box office after adjusting for inflation, but the franchise bottomed out with 2007′s "Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem " faring the worst at $53 million after inflation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/19/game-of-thrones-fans-are-angry-about-the-final-season-and-the-franchise-could-suffer-for-it.html

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 22, 2019, 06:29:05 PM
Wasn't WOT incomplete when the author died though?

True, but the concluding novels are generally viewed favorably.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Apparently GRRM wanted GoT to last for 10 seasons.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I've read the books and he's right, but I'm not sure I'd want to see everything that's in them on screen just to pad the runtime of the show.  Sometimes less is more.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 23, 2019, 01:20:31 AM
I've read the books and he's right, but I'm not sure I'd want to see everything that's in them on screen just to pad the runtime of the show.  Sometimes less is more.

But when it came to Season 8 and everything they wanted to accomplish, less was definitely not more.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It'd be interesting to discover that there were deleted scenes from season 7 and 8 that could be re-inserted into the episodes to pad things out a bit.  HBO should consider it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

This fan came up with how he would have staged the six episodes of Season 8, keeping the established character arcs intact.

I must say this would have made a much better ending, using real estate they had, and honoring what logic came before it.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 23, 2019, 02:10:08 AM
This fan came up with how he would have staged the six episodes of Season 8, keeping the established character arcs intact.

I must say this would have made a much better ending, using real estate they had, and honoring what logic came before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU

Have to give it to him. It's light years better than the show and I didn't even mind the ending that much.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

From that video: "The Night King is the main antagonistic force that propels much of the narrative of the show. I argue that the Night King is more important of a foe than Cersi."

Good to know that I'm not the only one in the entire GOT viewer world that thinks the Night King should have been the star villain as I discussed earlier, despite it's similarities to Lord of the Rings.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

The first scene of the entire show is a White Walker decapitating someone, for f**k's sake.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 23, 2019, 02:10:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mncEl4nVU

Some nice ideas, but it assumes the budget exists for additional large scale battles, which cost a lot and take months to produce.

Not saying the shortened series couldn't have been better, but we don't really know what forces were at play.

Some of the interviews and behind the scenes stuff hints at a cast that has lost interest IMHO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed