22 (22.4%)
Neither one is canonical.
28 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author
A:CM and Prometheus (Read 8,890 times)

Predaker

Predaker

Aliens: Colonial Marines retcons Hadley's Hope. It is a first-person shooter that scratches the 26-year old itch for Colonial Marine fans. (Like underwear sticking to your body on a hot summer day.)

Prometheus retcons the space jockey. It is a visually stunning film that leaves the audience asking for more. (Like a cold winter night with no fire.)

The community has been sharply divided by these two recent entries into the Alien franchise. How do they make you feel as a fan of the original films?

*The voting poll is not about what FOX considers canonical, but what do you personally accept as canon to the original films. It is subjective in this case.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

As a fan of both ALIENS (1986 film) and ALIEN (1979 film) I can safely say neither Prometheus or A-CM are canon.

I never bought into this whole ALIENS-CM being "the true sequel" to ALIENS bs.

Its a videogame- nothing more and going by early walkthroughs on YouTube its not a very good one at that.

PS- sorry for my bland reply- but I'd rather play ALIENS- ZX Spectrum/C64 again than A-CM for the first time- and thats a compliment to the ZX title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq1b9CzToE#

Elicas

Elicas

They're both derivative fanwanks that should never have seen the light of day, and hope that I never have to experience anything as excruciatingly f**king awful as either of them ever again.

Seriously, I'd of rather had another AVP or Alien:R than Prometheus or A:CM.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 10, 2013, 10:14:23 PM
They're both derivative fanwanks that should never have seen the light of day, and hope that I never have to experience anything as excruciatingly f**king awful as either of them ever again.

I agree.

Prometheus is a god awful movie that is even worse than both AvP movies combined, one of the biggest disappointments in the history of film.

Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't quite as bad of an experience as Prometheus (not saying much), but it sure as hell isn't going to be considered canon by me that's for sure.

Alien and Aliens are still the only two that I consider to be "canon", but at least Alien 3 was well made, just a shame it tainted the conclusion of Aliens.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

They're both derivative fanwanks that should never have seen the light of day

LOL!

What pains me is; that its not that hard to make a decent ALIEN/ALIENS/PREDATOR film.

If you dissect any of the above three titles what is the 3 elements that makes those movies?
ALIEN-
Characters
The audience could relate and care about the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. Blue collar workers in an extraordinary situation.
Setting
Seeing interesting stuff such as how we might live and work in the future (which is much further away than we think give or take your belief of space programme in reality- fake moon/Mars landings en all).
Concept
Excellent planning all around- looking at the themes of the time. Corporate greed/ethics, mistrust of technology- oh and the ALIEN itself.

PREDATOR
Characters
The best action cast ever assembled- period.
Setting
Cold war paranoia- threat of soviet invasion- post Vietnam war trauma symbolism. Men can relate to the fear of being drafted to a jungle hell-hole to be killed or much worse/
Concept
Fear of third world countries- encapsulated in the PREDATOR.

Now look at that hack job Prometheus
Characters
Pretentious crap- over-rated, unbearable "actresses" Noomi Rapace (god awful in Sherlock Holmes 2), Charlize Theron  picked only because of her looks., token black/asia guys. A bunch of Star Trek red-shirts that make the AVP cast Oscar worthy.
Their on-screen personas are just as unlikeable. A bunch of corporate morons/unethical scientists who deserved to die.

Setting
Looked just like modern day Earth and no effort to "alien-ise" the shooting location.

Concept
A pretentious piece of crap designed to appeal to trendy- latte swigging, hipsters, who visit modern art galleries, wear skinny jeans.
In fact Prometheus reminds me of modern art. Crap sold as chocolate.

Paladinrja

Paladinrja

Prometheus is definately canon, the question is, to what extent - well Scott calls it a prologue and plans at least one more prequel to Alien and a new Blade Runner sequel. Whats not clear is if he'll use those two to merge both narratives or do a whole seperate movie doing so.
In all my time with Alien and Blade Runner its always been considered that Blade Runner was somehow linked, just at an earlier stage - but in the Prometheus BR you see a message by P. Weyland describing Eldon Tyrell as his mentor and the differing paths they took. With synthetic lifeforms - Tyrell with genetic androids and Weyland with Robotic ones. Tyrell was into offworld colonialism and Weyland with terraforming.
Theres so much material here for such wonderful sci-fi heres hoping Fox will grow up and let Scott finish this, right up to bridging it with Alien.

Really had balanced expectations GBX would take it from A3 onwards with the games but A:CM just ended up being a fanboy statement of re-mashed Aliens sets and narrative.

Elicas

Elicas

Quote from: Omega1 on Feb 10, 2013, 10:23:32 PM

I agree.

Prometheus is a god awful movie that is even worse than both AvP movies combined, one of the biggest disappointments in the history of film.

Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't quite as bad of an experience as Prometheus (not saying much), but it sure as hell isn't going to be considered canon by me that's for sure.

Alien and Aliens are still the only two that I consider to be "canon", but at least Alien 3 was well made, just a shame it tainted the conclusion of Aliens.

I'm actually perfectly fine with A3, as I preferred the one xeno that pretty much can't be killed approach. The only real issues I had with A3 were that I felt Hicks would have been better served dying protecting Ripley and Newt, and that the egg really should have been shown opening inside the housing of the shuttle in the loading bay. The fact that Newt and Hicks died I've got no issue with, the way they died however, was cheap.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 10, 2013, 10:37:02 PM
Quote from: Omega1 on Feb 10, 2013, 10:23:32 PM

I agree.

I'm actually perfectly fine with A3, as I preferred the one xeno that pretty much can't be killed approach. The only real issues I had with A3 were that I felt Hicks would have been better served dying protecting Ripley and Newt, and that the egg really should have been shown opening inside the housing of the shuttle in the loading bay. The fact that Newt and Hicks died I've got no issue with, the way they died however, was cheap.

Yeah it wouldn't have taken much to fix Alien 3, but even as flawed as I find the movie it still comes nowhere close to being as bad as Prometheus.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

A:CM is not canon it's just a game for fun personally it needs to be a movie to be canon or it doesn't work.  Prometheus was a masterpiece in the visual department.  Prometheus is canon i don't understand how so many people can call it crap and say its an insult for crying out loud Ridley scott made the film the sam man who made alien and besides its not a direct prequel its in the same universe what happened in prometheus did not in any way affect the alien movies except maybe telling us what was in the jockey chair. Prometheus is canon and A:CM is not.

SM

SM

I've yet to find anything in Prometheus that would definatively excise it from the Alien continuity.

With A:CM - lol colony...

SiL

SiL

To be fair to A:CM on the colony front, the place is trashed.

Your favourite locales from Aliens are conveniently intact, by and large, but the rest is a scrapheap.

SM

SM

It should've been vapourised.

I'm beyond being fair to these arrogant hacks.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Both are canon.

HICKS is ALIVE bitches! :laugh:

insert deal with it gif here.

...Nah not really..  :laugh: just trolling...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Does it make Alien 3 better?

Paladinrja

Paladinrja

Unfortunately A:CM campaign was canonized by Fox... Its not a spinoff or what if. Aliens was bad enough, bug hunt mentality, with yehah marines. I'm ex-military those marines are pure BS. Now after seeing Blackhawk down - imagine what Aliens would've been if Ridley had've done it? None of the bullshit inconsistancies plaguing the narrative would exist.

I can also say that in 1986 when I went to the cinema to watch this people wouldn't have felt so jipped either.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed