Editing the Hunt, Interview with Alien/Predator Anthology Editor Bryan Thomas Schmidt - AvP Galaxy Podcast #174

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 30, 2023, 06:53:58 AM

Author
Editing the Hunt, Interview with Alien/Predator Anthology Editor Bryan Thomas Schmidt - AvP Galaxy Podcast #174 (Read 1,279 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 174th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download). Regular co-hosts Corporal Hicks and RidgeTop are joined by author and editor Bryan Thomas Schmidt to discuss his work on the latest anthologies Aliens vs. Predators: Ultimate Prey and Predator: Eyes of the Demon!

Editing the Hunt, Interview with Alien/Predator Anthology Editor Byran Thomas Schmidt - AvP Galaxy Podcast #174

We discuss the return of Dutch, how current productions effect writing and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always, the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

DaniilLogOut

Still Collating...

Loved the episode! Just want it to be known that even though not every story may be perfect, the majority were good and I do appreciate the risk of trying something new. The idea for anthologies is fantastic, think this could work well. Would love another swing at the Alien anthology side by Bryan this time. Hope he continues with the Predator ones and that we have another chance for AvP.

GreybackElder

Excellent episode gentlemen! It's great to hear how you guys and Bryan Thomas Schmidt sort of collaborated on these novels. Honestly, if it bleeds may be my favorite predator novel of all time.

jacobo1122

Quote from: Still Collating... on Dec 01, 2023, 08:18:42 PMLoved the episode! Just want it to be known that even though not every story may be perfect, the majority were good and I do appreciate the risk of trying something new. The idea for anthologies is fantastic, think this could work well. Would love another swing at the Alien anthology side by Bryan this time. Hope he continues with the Predator ones and that we have another chance for AvP.

Yeah, I also love the idea of Alien/Predator anthologies. Wish Titan make more of them, especially Aliens one. Bug Hunt was a miss, sure, but there is still a tone of potential here. Because anthologies are just a mine of interesting ideas and stories. Even if some or even most of them are miss, there is always few that I take interest in. Of course editorial work is very important for anthology to be succesful, picking right writers, choosing proper pitches, arrange the shorts in proper order and taking care that stories have some similiar themes for book to be coherent, but not being to similiar to each other so they don't show the same problems, like it was with Bug hunt and also with Ultimate Prey to some degree. But with If It Bleeds Bryan and the assemble of writers did just a Fantastic job. Now I'm looking to read Eyes of The Demon, hope it's at least half as good as If it Bleeds.

BlueMarsalis79

bendinglight

Great episode, as always!

Bryan Thomas Schmidt mentioned seeing the 'bible' and it being in PDF format. I assume it was locked down so he couldn't download it (or maybe they just showed it to him on a screen share session) but that would be a great experience to get a look at that.

Mr.Turok

Great episode to hear driving to and from work!

I can safely say that even if there was some negative feedback here and there, the books had received lots of positive reviews. Some feedback makes sense such as how there was no xenomorph win outcomes, which unintentionally lead to some people thinking there is a Predator bias going on. Sometimes the Predator should win, sometimes the Aliens, sometimes the humans survive and there is no win on either side, or sometimes no one wins and everyone dies. There are ways to make the stories so much more memorable. Even with the criticism, there was alot of great stories that I wish were novels on their own. Both here and the previous Predator anthology novels.

The Predator bible being 900 pages is a size I never expected. Here I thought they didn't have much attention towards Predator, seeing that I see alot more Alien favored content these days so its positive to hear that there is in fact detailed documentation on the Predator universe. I really hope we can see some of this one day. I'm curious to hear what is canon or not (I like consistency in my stories ok) and other things we haven't seen yet.

Oh, and my question got answered! Surprised to hear my name on the podcast I gotta say, wasn't expecting that but happy to hear the response. So there was something in the works for this meet up, alright! Well, it's never too late to start on that story, and thanks with the Predator Hunting Grounds story updating the series, now with Isabelle back into the picture, and the addition of Dante, we can have a real solid squad of Predator Hunters in our hands. Since restrictions on The Predator and Dutch has been lifted, I wonder if anything will be touched on The Predator. I know PHG mentioned that the Predator Killer suit itself isn't functional, but I know OWLF can re-engineer the nanotechnology to be useful for something. Nanotech is something that no self-respecting xeno-scientist, or any scientist/engineer can ignore, especially if they can apply it to fighting Predators like for weapons and armor.   

I never thought that Arnold proposed (Or was proposed to, I cannot remember) to write a short story on Dutch's POV post Predator. I would have loved to see Arnie himself take a jab at writing his character. Shame that execs had to push for a full on novel and discourage the whole thing. The smell of $$$ had to lure them in and ruin everything huh.

Great episode and thank you to everyone involved to making these stories, their efforts and passion are seen, keep going at it! 

Xiggz456

Great interview guys! And big thanks to Bryan for being so candid. I get especially intrigued when he goes into the licensing details but I'm wondering if Titan renewed or got an extension on the Predator rights or if "Eyes of the Demon" will be their last entry?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed