Alien Romulus Rating Prediction

Started by solace97, May 04, 2024, 05:22:59 PM

Thought this could be fun. As we get closer and find out more details what do you think Alien Romulus will receive upon release if you were to grade it on an out of 10 scale.

0/10
0 (0%)
1/10
0 (0%)
2/10
0 (0%)
3/10
1 (2.6%)
4/10
0 (0%)
5/10
4 (10.3%)
6/10
6 (15.4%)
7/10
7 (17.9%)
8/10
14 (35.9%)
9/10
3 (7.7%)
10/10
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closes: Aug 12, 2024, 05:22:59 PM

Author
Alien Romulus Rating Prediction (Read 1,810 times)

BlueMarsalis79

"Then how about this?"

For the majority the mantra will not change. It will still be "only the first two are good" because nuance only exists for people who care.

For people who rank the films? Probably something like this: Alien, Aliens, Romulus, maybe a mention of Isolation and or the Assembly Cut of Alien³ in discussions.

For myself? Probably Alien, Aliens, Alien³ and Romulus, but whereas Alien³ will probably have more style and look far better, Romulus will probably be more all round solid and or serviceable but not launch anyone into the stratosphere.

I hope I am not on the money, but I feel like I am, thus I remain more excited for Noah Hawley doing Alien... because it will undoubtedly be something new and not devoted to the prior mythology. Whether we ultimately love it or loathe it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 04, 2024, 07:53:52 PMOne man's "6/10, meh... mid" is another man's "6/10, fascinating messy experience."
But both people agree the film is mid, and rate it as such.

Which is where I'm predicting this film. A solid 6/10. The Prey of the Alien movies.

Ingwar

Ingwar

It's gonna be way better that The Pray.

aliens13

I think that it would the Alien Isolation for Alien movies. Definitely the one that we were expecting since many years

solace97

I think it has the potential to be much more than Prey. You can pay homage to the original while making something of your own, which is what Aliens did so well. I feel like everyone here thinks if it utilizes the original film than it is unoriginal or is relying on memberberries and it really makes no sense. Every entry since the original has been vastly different thus a film returning to its roots this many years later could actually work really well.

But if not done properly it could very well be seen as a fan like film such as Predators and Prey.

I agree it will probably end up somewhere with Alien , Aliens, or fall short around Alien Covenant A3 or Prometheus.

Either way I think the ceiling is high but based on how these franchises have been run it could fail to meet expectations.

TheDerelict

Romulus will be the best Alien film ever made. I'm going to love it more than I already love the current best Alien film ever made...Alien 3.

This film is going to be a box office smash, we're taking Titanic/Avatar levels of money making. They are going to have to build new cinemas this summer just to keep up with demand.

And it will be a cultural phenomenon, like those two films last year, Barbie and Oppenheimer. Some people went and saw Barbie and some people went and saw Oppenheimer. I personally only saw Oppenheimer, but some people went and saw Barbie and Oppenheimer and they went dressed up as either Barbie or Oppenheimer. Both the Barbie and Oppenheimer films tapped into the public consciousness and the marketing campaign fused both Barbie and Oppenheimer together...I think they called it PlasticToyBomb.

But in all seriousness, Romulus will be absolutely "lit" as the kids say these days and i personally feel it will unite this dire necropolis of a forum. No longer will we poke each other with sharp sticks about "mysterious eggs on spaceships or magical do everything black goo," or ponder the age old question of "what is Arcturian poontang and why does it not matter if it's a man?"
Seriously, have you seen that trailer? Amazing. And when have trailers in the Alien franchise ever lied to us.

7 out of 10

solace97

I LOVE THIS ENERGY AND I HOPE YOURE RIGHT

BUT...

Spoiler
that was only the teaser and anyone can make a teaser look good  ;D
[close]

PsyKore

PsyKore

I'm guessing a 5 or 6. Average. The few throwbacks to the old films we've seen tends to lead me to believe it may be a bit cookie cutter and lack substance in some form.  Hoping for better though.

T Dog

T Dog

I think/hope it'll be good/solid/decent!

Rankles75

I haven't enjoyed an Alien movie in near on 40 years (Covenant had some decent moments when it wasn't focusing on David crap), so it's hard for me to be overly optimistic. Film series very rarely bounce back after the quality dips. That being said, I liked the teaser trailer and most of what I've heard about Romulus. I'm going in expecting a 5 or 6 out of 10, with at least some hope of being pleasantly surprised.

reecebomb

I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if it will be more than 5.
If it manages to be better than that it would mean it would have to be the best Alien related film in 30 years.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: reecebomb on May 07, 2024, 02:54:34 PMIf it manages to be better than that it would mean it would have to be the best Alien related film in 30 years.

That's a low bar to clear though.

Acid_Reign161

I'm currently placing this as an optimistic 7. I'm cautious due to things we've heard in the leaks that we have yet to see, but I trust in Fede.

I don't think it will be better than any of the original trilogy, but believe it has the potential to sit alongside them.

I do think this may make (some of) us view Prometheus and Covenant differently. To elaborate; I actually like Prometheus and Covenant and watch them as regularly as Alien/Aliens/Alien 3. *BUT* I've always maintained that the original 3 movies work better without them, and wouldn't be opposed to them being relegated to (but enjoyed as) expanded media, or treated in the same way as Titan Books novels (in the same way I've never been opposed to seeing Resurrection as a live action Dark Horse comic book). Not that that is what Romulus is doing, but what I mean is; If Romulus spoils us with set and creature aesthetics that naturally feels at home with the first three movies and feels like 'a return to form', then I may be less forgiving of Prometheus /Covenants aesthetics, technology and creatures, and narrative focus, in a sort of "see, it *can* still be done right!" kind of way (If that makes sense?).

Going by the limited visuals from the trailer alone, my current *expected* ranking order is;

Alien
Alien 3
Aliens
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Covenant
Prometheus
Alien Resurrection

The Cruentus

I hope for the best but am prepared for the worst, so I am going to go for a safe 7.

It is on the positive side but given that the rumors of
Spoiler
big chap, black goo i.e a connection to the prequels being present
[close]
I think some fans will not enjoy those aspects and will leave a bad taste like covenant did.
A competently made and decent movie for sure, but what it did to the lore is very off putting for someone who cares about the franchise lore.

Professional critics won't really care about the lore that much though and will likely judge iy on its quality so I think (if it is indeed good) that it may be rated higher by critics than audience.

solace97

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 07, 2024, 03:38:08 PMAlien
Alien 3
Aliens
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Covenant
Prometheus
Alien Resurrection

Alien 3 above Aliens, Covenant above Prometheus, wow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed