Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 846,561 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Russ on Feb 26, 2019, 12:00:39 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Feb 26, 2019, 11:54:43 AM
The Delta Force
Chuck Norris, Lee Marvin, Robert Vaughn, Robert Forster and Liam Neeson. What a cast Cannon got together for what is two movies crammed together lol

With the most 80s of 80s soundtracks... f**k, I love this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM

Synths reign supreme

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Feb 26, 2019, 11:54:43 AMThe Delta Force
Chuck Norris, Lee Marvin, Robert Vaughn, Robert Forster and Liam Neeson. What a cast Cannon got together for what is two movies crammed together lol

I completely forgot half those people were even in it.

I remember that being fun, but there's still only one Chuck Norris movie that's ever really delivered the level of laughs and action I really want - Braddock: Missing in Action 3, which is a complete riot.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Blade Runner 2049 Decided it was time for a rewatch. The original is one of my all time favorite movies, but this just doesn't seem to grab me. It looks amazing, thanks to Roger Deakins, but the story isn't as smart or philosophical as the first one, although it tries very hard to be. Also, I love slow movies like Stalker, Avalon and Hard to be a God, but holy hell, 2049 just drags in places. Acting was mostly good, although Gosling just repeats his role from Only God Forgives, including his outburst. At the end we get to see Harrison Ford being absolutely useless for the remaining time, whoop-dee-freakin-doo. Dave Bautista's role is short but powerful. Sylvia Hoeks was good but very 2 dimensional. I liked Jared Leto's Niander Wallace. The soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch was mostly loud and obnoxious. Mostly. A couple of nice cues, that's it. It's a visual masterpiece but imo it has a lot of problems people are, for some reason, ignoring. 7/10

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 26, 2019, 08:12:32 PMThe original is one of my all time favorite movies, but this just doesn't seem to grab me. It looks amazing, thanks to Roger Deakins, but the story isn't as smart or philosophical as the first one, although it tries very hard to be. Also, I love slow movies like Stalker, Avalon and Hard to be a God, but holy hell, 2049 just drags in places.

My thoughts exactly.

I definitely thought it was good, but nothing like the masterpiece most people seem to laud it as.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2019, 09:37:50 PM
Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 26, 2019, 08:12:32 PMThe original is one of my all time favorite movies, but this just doesn't seem to grab me. It looks amazing, thanks to Roger Deakins, but the story isn't as smart or philosophical as the first one, although it tries very hard to be. Also, I love slow movies like Stalker, Avalon and Hard to be a God, but holy hell, 2049 just drags in places.

My thoughts exactly.

I definitely thought it was good, but nothing like the masterpiece most people seem to laud it as.

I was dead against it from the first announcement.  Blade Runner didn't need a sequel, but when the trailers came out I was impressed by what I saw, and I absolutely adored the movie when I finally got around to watching it.  On subsequent viewings it isn't the masterpiece I believed it to be, but I still love the movie.  It's gorgeous and the soundtrack is fantastic, but there is something lacking in the story itself, and the villains were nowhere near as menacing or charismatic as Roy Batty   

Spoiler
Also, I wanted to see more of Dave Bautista, he was incredible in the brief time he was on screen.  The guy has some serious acting chops
[close]

P-Rock

P-Rock

That's the beauty of Blade Runner '82: are the villains really villains?

In 2049 it's clear that Luv is a villain, because she seems to enjoy killing a bit too much and feels superior towards humans and other reps. The motivation for killing by Batty and crew is different though.

Also, it's still not clear to me why Wallace wants to know the secret of reps getting pregnant.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 26, 2019, 10:09:48 PM

They killed people who didn't need killing. That makes them villains.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I  think the implication that Roy killed Sebastian more than qualifies him for villain status.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 26, 2019, 10:38:34 PM
Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 26, 2019, 10:09:48 PM

They killed people who didn't need killing. That makes them villains.

They were playing God without much respect to life and seeing replicants as objects. It's obvious when Sebastian asks Batty and Pris to do a trick. I don't think they deserved to die for that, they were in the wrong though.

Also, Batty is a combat model programmed for violent actions. He doesn't know how to process all these new emotions.

Huggs

Huggs

They are taking life unnecessarily. In regards to Sebastian, it's innocent life. That makes them villains.

For this specific question, the reasons are irrelevant.

A criminal might rob a bank to pay for cancer treatments, but he's still a criminal when all is said and done, even though we might sympathize with him or he is not actually a bad person. Being a villain is a classification based on actions, not necessarily the same as being evil or morally wrong.

You can be a villain and not be evil. You can also be both.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Like Mr. Freeze.

Prez

Prez

Battle Angel Alita
Everything I wanted this film to be and more. BRILLIANT!!!

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Prez on Feb 27, 2019, 12:21:43 AM
Battle Angel Alita
Everything I wanted this film to be and more. BRILLIANT!!!

f**king exactly.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Serenity (2019)

Woooow, that was insane. One of the best guilty pleasures ever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed