Engineers and Black Goo?

Started by aliens13, Feb 14, 2024, 12:32:21 AM

Author
Engineers and Black Goo? (Read 6,433 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 01:36:14 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 05, 2024, 09:22:56 AMI'm personally thrilled that the pathogen is gonna feature in Romulus. It shows that this film respects the overarching setting and continuity.

Plus, "Prometheus strain"? That's gotta be a David connection.

The Pathogen is one of my favorite additions to the mythos.

It's not that I dislike the pathogen in itself, but it embodies the attempt at explaining the origin of xenomorphs, and that's why I don't like it. For me, explaining this was a fundamental mistake.

David Weyland

David Weyland

I accept you don't like the method or origin as such but think the purpose of any prequel is to provide a backstory and at least a form of origin to how the story reached its initial entry point.

I find and I emphasise in general, those that claim we should never know how the derelict came to be on LV426 or the Xeno's origins as disingenuous.

SiL

SiL

How is it disingenuous?

David Weyland

David Weyland

I just find it in general not sincere.

It's not to pick on anyone but while I appreciate a reveal or explanation won't please everyone, to say that they didn't want to know in the first place more about the subject matter they're invested in to watch, as such.

However if it had fitted their ideal vision there wouldn't be this.
Sorry just my opinion.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I understand your point. Of course I was curious at first when I saw Prometheus. But I feared it would fall into the usual trap of ruining the original mystery.

And for me it did. The mystery participates greatly in making Alien what it is, not knowing and keep imagining. It is extremely powerful, and Prometheus diminishes that tremendously. That I cannot forgive.

I also add that I never had any ideal scenario for a prequel explaining the origins of the xenomorph that would have satisfied me. I'd rather not have anything, but since it's there, I can only hope for a good and entertaining film. But that's another matter.

David Weyland

David Weyland

Fair enough, it's no fun when the thing you enjoy out of your hands spins off in a direction that does not personally satisfy
I just find the premise of a prequel is to tell a back story or provide insight of the story already told and if as in Prometheus' case while it just led to more questions 😄..if it had not offered some offering of a path or direction to how the Xenomorphs came about then think the whole enterprise undertaken in making it would have been seen as even more frustrating and pointless by most audiences

SiL

SiL

My ideal prequel would be no prequels.

Highland

Highland

We still don't really know though. We've just got to assume that the Derilict in Alien is somehow tied to Prometheus by some event off screen.

Scott making the Engineers a much different size doesn't really help either.

The only thing connecting the movies is the space ship.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

We do know the amazing Space Jockey is in fact a guy in a white latex suit. That's hella disappointing, I'm sorry.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 06, 2024, 01:40:39 AMWe do know the amazing Space Jockey is in fact a guy in a white latex suit. That's hella disappointing, I'm sorry.

Or David  :'(

Where'd he get the ship though.

Made me also start thinking where did the facehuggers come from in Romulus.

Maybe the black goo just makes anything.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Given what Hawley's show is (re-)establishing about the Alien's origins (or lack thereof), there's no reason now to just assume that the Derelict isn't ancient as was originally intended.

SiL

SiL

We don't know what he's doing. He just said the prequels weren't useful to him. We also don't know if the tv series is meant to be part of the film universe or not.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

We don't know exactly what he's doing, but based on what he's said, we know that he views the Aliens as being ancient and it seems as though that mindset is going to be reflected in whatever he does the series.

Only time will tell for sure, of course, but that does seem to be the way things are going, based on the info we have at the moment.

Eal

Eal

Is it possible that they'll soft-retcon the goo from Prometheus?

Keep the events and plot intact but retcon the relationship of the engineers to the xeno, why the seeding of life or dna or whatever, their age and factions etc. Their 'lords blood'..perhaps a 'soft' change from Decon blood to xenomorph blood?

SiL

SiL

It don't sound like Hawley wants to touch any of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed