Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 194,156 times)

tyrannosaurusjones

You'll see more of that thing in the future... Like, in an issue's time... ;)

Basically I came up with a way of fitting egg-morphing back into the biology. It was approved, it was cleared, but at the last minute we had to change this ability from the Big Chap to something else, so I basically changed the Big Chap a bit and gave it the head you see (I always loved the grins the ones from Colonial Marines had) because of... stuff I can't talk about. Either way, I'm happy. I love drawing that f**kin' thing! And I'm sort of changing up the aliens JUST a little from book to book to give them a bit more of that diversity... but that's something I'll hopefully clear up down the road in the story too. Nothing as tremendous as this, but you'll see different ridge formations and body shapes from time to time.

426Buddy

It's a shame it couldn't have stayed big chap like in the version I got on free comic book day. It would have created some nice symmetry with the first film. Not a really big deal though and I like the new design as well.

StrangeShape

So basically theres gonna be a new type of aliens introduced that can eggmorph. Thats cool, although in the first movie we've seen Kanes Son being able to do it, so thats too bad they didnt let you guys go that way. As of today, the only source marrying the two procreation methods is the Alien 3 novelization, and as of today the only source hinting at the explanation of the existence of both ridged and smooth head aliens is the Aliens movie itself (the chestburster was born with smooth head, therefore hinting at ridges coming with age)

SM

SM

The egg morphing was only in the DC, and while the method isn't outright dismissed it's not openly acknowledged either.  At least at the moment.

Aliens F&S has both smooth and ridge headed Aliens stowing away on the Onager from Hadley.  Prometheus and AvP both just have the ridged versions.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on May 11, 2016, 10:42:29 PM
The egg morphing was only in the DC, and while the method isn't outright dismissed it's not openly acknowledged either.  At least at the moment.

Aliens F&S has both smooth and ridge headed Aliens stowing away on the Onager from Hadley.  Prometheus and AvP both just have the ridged versions.

I think you may misremember it, I just checked and couldnt find any smooth head aliens in Aliens F&S

tyrannosaurusjones

The Weyland Yutani report also hypothesises about the correlation between ridges and domes, and who can egg-morph and why. That's largely what I've built it out of, but the idea with the "praetorian" type is that it sort of takes the role of the hive mind (to a lesser extent) until a queen rocks up, which was basically what I had planned for the domes.

SM

SM

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 11, 2016, 11:30:31 PM

I think you may misremember it, I just checked and couldnt find any smooth head aliens in Aliens F&S

Issue 1
One kills a marine as they're boarding the Onager on page 5.
A smooth head and ridge head watch the Onager leave on page 9.
One crawling out of Onager on page 16.
Two attacking colonists on page 17.

Remaining issues all seem to be ridged.

StrangeShape

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on May 12, 2016, 12:16:27 AM
The Weyland Yutani report also hypothesises about the correlation between ridges and domes, and who can egg-morph and why. That's largely what I've built it out of, but the idea with the "praetorian" type is that it sort of takes the role of the hive mind (to a lesser extent) until a queen rocks up, which was basically what I had planned for the domes.

Ah, got it. I have high hopes itll turn out well

Quote from: SM on May 12, 2016, 12:22:17 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on May 11, 2016, 11:30:31 PM

Issue 1
One kills a marine as they're boarding the Onager on page 5.
A smooth head and ridge head watch the Onager leave on page 9.
One crawling out of Onager on page 16.
Two attacking colonists on page 17.

Remaining issues all seem to be ridged.

Ah yes, missed it

Xenomrph

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 11, 2016, 10:27:06 PM
So basically theres gonna be a new type of aliens introduced that can eggmorph. Thats cool, although in the first movie we've seen Kanes Son being able to do it, so thats too bad they didnt let you guys go that way. As of today, the only source marrying the two procreation methods is the Alien 3 novelization, and as of today the only source hinting at the explanation of the existence of both ridged and smooth head aliens is the Aliens movie itself (the chestburster was born with smooth head, therefore hinting at ridges coming with age)
The W-Y Archive on the AvPRequiem bluray also mentions eggmorphing as a possible alternate reproductive method in the absence of a Queen.

Corporal Hicks

The Alien 3 novelization acknowledged it which was something I enjoyed. It may only be in the Director's Cut but I've been wanting to see eggmorphing make a reappearance somewhere down the line. I was a little disappointed it didn't materialize in Isolation. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in Defiance!

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on May 12, 2016, 12:16:27 AM

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to go down that route? The Praetorians are largely just presented a premature Queens, waiting their chance to take a crown. How come you couldn't use the smooth headed ones?

Ultramorph

Just red the FCBD comic, it was a fun read. I like the new xeno design, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with eggmorphing and the morphology.

Ultramorph

Mr. Forest

I just picked up the first issue and even managed to secure an extra copy of the free comic today. The art is terrific and i'm already sucked into the story. I was very pleased to see Amanda Ripley make a cameo appearance. So far I am loving the material I am seeing for these last two years.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Issue 5 cover artwork.

XenoZipper

Meh. Just kinda so so to me. I'm not really that impressed with today's art. To me, today's art seems far less realistic looking then it did in the 90s. I mean, put a cover like this up against say Earth War #1. Doesn't even compare. Not saying this is horrible because it's not but certainly not that impressed either.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed