Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 199,709 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

With Chuck Norris narration.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

hmmm. it seems this idea is not new at all. interesting read can be found here:

http://www.serenadawn.com/Alien-TheCollectedEssays.htm

similar to the anchorpoint essays, really bound up in intense technical jargon, but it seems this line of thinking/theories on alien reproduction might indeed be where this idea came from. It also might contradict the way in which its being done in the film, i will have to read further and try to make sense of it all.

edit:

apparently its based on one unknown source, one of the comics and the anchorpoint essay, (its the old link however which doesn't work), all can be regarded as speculative and for the most part non-canon, however, i was not aware of any speculation involving the queen and any other reproductive cycles or development. This may mean the strausses may not have pulled the idea out of their asses but it still doesn't make it canon.
I'm not sure i fully understand the "spore theory" that well in some regards due to the technical jargon, mentioned earlier, but it does seem to imply that the queen can do something else if her egg sac becomes damaged. That is a little different from saying a young queen vomits something, but maybe the "yolk" they are talking about is what is vomits into people in avp-r. However, because of the contradictions to the behavior of the alien in the first and third films, even if properly explained and argued in somewhat of a non-arbitrary matter, it still seems like a non-canon idea to me.

here may be the best argument for a queen reproducing in any way other than egg sac. I hope it is not used against me later in the thread. lol. so don't even try. Also, i don't think the vomit is the intention, this could be the attempt to make sense of the egg morphing however. but anyway:

"  Finally, it might be that prior to metamorphosis into a queen, each imago implants a host with a spore in this manner. It is likely that the queen becomes immobile once her egg production organs mature, and it would be difficult for her to obtain sufficient nutrients and hosts to establish a nest were she alone. If the imago prepared a second host in addition to the one it had implanted with a spore, the new queen would be assured of having at least one adult who could function in obtaining nutrients for the generation of her eggs and hosts for larval implantation. "

another edit. okay that is definitely a way of trying to explain the egg morphing. What it means by preparing two hosts is simply this: one with the spore that turns them into the egg, and the other to be used as a host for the facehugger, hence dallas and brett. This does seem to argue for the molting however, but upon reading no such vomiting ability is actually present. The molting can still be regarded as fan speculation, nothing more and we are right back where we started from, minus some info on how egg morphing might make a little more sense than previously thought.

gameoverman

gameoverman

^That makes sense but the Strauses still haven't confirmed whether or not Chet was born a Queen.

Rocco

Rocco

Aliens should lay eggs ... so sad they've changed the alien's life cycle  :-\

no matter if they are predaliens, hulkaliens, animaliens, etc they should lay eggs!

:-[

SM

SM

Quotehence dallas and brett.

There's a slight difference between Dallas and Brett in the film and the novelisation.  In the novelisation, Brett = egg and Dallas = host.  From this I (and countless others over the years) came to the conclusion this is how Queens could be created.

In the film however they're both being egged.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: SM on Oct 29, 2007, 06:31:15 AM
Quotehence dallas and brett.

There's a slight difference between Dallas and Brett in the film and the novelisation.  In the novelisation, Brett = egg and Dallas = host.  From this I (and countless others over the years) came to the conclusion this is how Queens could be created.

In the film however they're both being egged.

I never said they were the same. The intentions most likely were that they were both being turned into eggs. But for the sake of any arguments for the egg morphing theory, that makes no f**king sense. You need a host for the facehugger.

SiL

SiL

Ya mean like Ripley?

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 29, 2007, 06:21:40 AM
^That makes sense but the Strauses still haven't confirmed whether or not Chet was born a Queen.

He clearly said that this regurgitation cycle is a process all young Queens go through. How did he not confirm it already?

SiL

SiL

He pretty much confirmed it's moulting by trying to say that the original drone in the Hadley's hope colony turned into a Queen.

Damned Aliens fanboys. Two Avp films - Directors who like Aliens - Two films thta f**k with the Aliens for no good reason - Coincidence? I think not.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

After reading some more its clear, this does not support the vomiting of a chestburster embryo. Only egg morphing done by a queen who is just about to enter the immobile egg laying phase or after the egg laying sac is damaged.

The "pseudo-host" is merely the empty goo or "yolk" that the egg laying sac produces. Inside her body is the "spore", the same thing that she uses to egg morph someone. In a normal egg laying process this spore naturally travels to the available space in the yolk where it will fit and form a normal egg that we all know and love.
The egg morphing, is merely when that spore is placed in a person's body, and it duplicates the conditions in which it would normally grow in the yolk, and instead of forming an egg in the egg laying sac, it does so in the person's body. Since the egg is fairly big, the amount of tissue replaced by the "yolk" and "spore" engulf the host from the inside out.

However it is clear the queen only does this once, as a way of ensuring that she will have an alien to help cocoon her to the walls and ceiling(the egg laying tube i should say) and grab hosts for th eggs, in which the process will snowball, getting more adult aliens to keep looking for hosts.
It is not capable of putting chestburster embryos in people however. The spore is merely part of what creates the egg. The yolk being the seperate, other component.

A facehugger is the only thing that creates the embryo of a chestburster, it being a unique part of the lifecycle, that serves only as the ovipositor, or the means in which to implant embryos in the host. So in terms of functionality and efficiency, the egg morphing does not trump the facehugger. So it does not negate it or make that part of the lifecycle obsolete.

isn't reading just grand. lol.
I know appreciate the egg morph theory a little bit more. As its not based on bullshit, like some other theories (vomiting a chestburste embryo, or goo which will create one)

SM

SM

QuoteBut for the sake of any arguments for the egg morphing theory, that makes no f**king sense.

Oh so we'll just ignore the other four crew members - three of which would've done just nicely...
::)

QuoteHe pretty much confirmed it's moulting by trying to say that the original drone in the Hadley's hope colony turned into a Queen.

Which is made up anyway.

"In my Version of the Alien life cycle, the infestation of the colony would proceed like this:
1. Russ Jorden attacked, they radio for rescue.

2. Rescue party investigates ship...seveal members facehugged...brought back to base for treatment.

3. Several "chestbursters" free themselves from hosts, escape into ducting, begin to grow.

4. Extrapolating from entomology (ants, termites, etc.), an immature female, one of the first to emerge from hosts, grows to become a new queen, while males become drones or warriors. Subsequent female larvae remain dormant or are killed by males...or biochemically sense that that a queen exists and change into males to limit waste. The Queen locates a nesting spot (the warmth of the atmosphere station heat exchanger level being perfect for egg incubation) and becomes sedentary. She is then tended by the males as her abdomen swells into a distended egg sac. The drones and warriors also secrete a resionous building material to line the structure, creating niches in which they may lie dormant when food supplies and/or hosts for further reproduction become depleted. (i.e. when all the colonists are used up). They are discovered in this condition by the troopers, but quickly emerge when the new hosts present themselves. "

- James Cameron, 1986.  The closest you'll get to an 'official' version of events at the colony.  Nowt about barfing.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: SiL on Oct 29, 2007, 06:37:45 AM
Ya mean like Ripley?

she could have been, but she wasn't nabbed, so this essay in hindsight argues that two hosts are usually grabbed by an alien about to molt into a queen. One to form the egg containing a facehugger and one to have the facehugger impregnate. These hosts are grabbed in farily close succession to one another, as the queen intends to then settle down and finish the process of reaching full maturity.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Ya mean like Ripley?

The alien didn't seem to care about Ripley until Ripley started threatening it.

SM

SM

Didn't seem too interested in Brett until he blundered into it.  Ditto Dallas.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: ballzanya on Oct 29, 2007, 06:50:06 AM
Ya mean like Ripley?

she could have been, but she wasn't nabbed, so this essay in hindsight argues that two hosts are usually grabbed by an alien about to molt into a queen. One to form the egg containing a facehugger and one to have the facehugger impregnate. These hosts are grabbed in farily close succession to one another, as the queen intends to then settle down and finish the process of reaching full maturity.

What it was born a Queen - why would the Queen egg morph if she could just lay eggs?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed