Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce

Started by MudButt, Feb 09, 2024, 06:03:51 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce (Read 26,915 times)

[cancerblack]

A friend of mine has told me she'll be starting a job in the art department for a new Predator film very soon.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 17, 2024, 07:29:03 PMA friend of mine has told me she'll be starting a job in the art department for a new Predator film very soon.

Is this friend a local in your area? If so, I wonder if maybe that might point to where production might be happening...

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 17, 2024, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 17, 2024, 07:29:03 PMA friend of mine has told me she'll be starting a job in the art department for a new Predator film very soon.

Is this friend a local in your area? If so, I wonder if maybe that might point to where production might be happening...

Not in my area, she lives a few hours away in Auckland. They do a lot of filming there but it could easily be in Wellington too. I'll probe for more details though (and beg for a job lmao).

CANNON

CANNON

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 09, 2024, 07:33:24 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 09, 2024, 07:31:01 PMShifting Alien: Romulus from Hulu to theatrical definitely felt like them acknowledging that mistake and directly responding to Prey's success, so here's hoping that continues into the future indeed.

Yep. And they seem to be learning and paying attention to everything. They really want these franchises to be the tentpoles they used to be, and they are putting the time and care into making sure they do so. I love it. Just gotta pull it off though. It could look great behind the scenes, but the final product has to deliver. I have faith it will.
My opinion: Judge as you decide.
When it comes to predator I am all for the excitement and the idea that studios and film makers have learned from the past - but I do have to have some reservations until proven otherwise. Alien as a franchise gets the star treatment. New film makers follow the formula, they are respectful to the lore, the previous films, previous designs here in the subsequent artists and too us fans.
The Predator franchise, though Prey was an enjoyable movie seems never to get that same treatment. They never capture what made Predator 1987 unique. I am still sour about the sacrilege that was Feral's new Predator face in lieu of Stan Winston's iconic and star-power design. They also always fall short with Predator's hunting, calculating, his pacing, mimicking, his patience, his studying, and his stalking - all altered or gone. Now I understand there are different preds and hunting styles and adolescence and every other reason for change since the original movies but that is my point exactly. They always feel the need to change something to the formula, whether that be character design or injecting action just because. They remove the mystery of the Predator and suspense knowing its out there watching and waiting. Study the original film, start there. Respect what came before. For me, that should be the tent pole to which the new era should be built.

That being said - its easy to brush me off or for someone to say what ever it is they'd like about my take. What I do know though is I know I am right and as I started this rant, My stance will stay and until I'm proven otherwise I will have my reservations.

BigDaddyJohn

Alien Resurrection had different xenomorph designs that a lot of people bashed, and still do to this day. And it didn't really follow much of the steps of the first movie.

Master Chief

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 17, 2024, 08:16:18 PM

Not in my area, she lives a few hours away in Auckland. They do a lot of filming there but it could easily be in Wellington too. I'll probe for more details though (and beg for a job lmao).
Ask her if we can interview her. ;)

CANNON

Quote from: Master Chief on Apr 25, 2024, 06:03:02 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Apr 17, 2024, 08:16:18 PM
Definitely need more info!

Ask her if we can interview her. ;)

Huntsman

A film set in the future that had the tone of the escape sequence from The Predator would have my interest.

The Shuriken

Art department eh? Like concept art? Character art? Was she able to specify? Probably not I imagine, most likely under NDA. But you should ask and see just how much she could say.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed