The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 66,225 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 12, 2023, 09:39:36 AMCor blimey, wot's dis then? ChatGPT ben hangin' roun' da East End with 'em footy firms, yeah?
Not sure if you're familiar with Orks, but that's canonically how they talk.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I'm aware. I assume the makers of the game/writers of the books got the idea from the trolls in Tolkien's, The Hobbit?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Probably more from the football hooligans that would trash the town once a week.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 20, 2023, 08:28:06 PMProbably more from the football hooligans that would trash the town once a week.
Yeah I think it's this.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

нет

Kradan

Kradan

What was that, @[cancerblack] ?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Overall unhappy with the Tyranid update. The new stuff has excellent detailing and design choices for the most part, but they've left several very important models (Hive Tyrant, Warriors and Carnifexes) with a 20 year old level of detailing and aesthetic. Those models are iconic parts of most swarms, and now (by comparison) look worse than even the most basic troopers, while leaving them at home both starts locking you into certain army builds, and just feels wrong. Additionally, the Winged Prime model is included in every starter or collectors' set released this edition, but as well as looking twenty years better than the unit it's intended to lead, there's no Winged version of that unit in model or in rules at all. It puts the army in a weird, half-finished space.

Then there's the prices. I know it's GW, but $10 per model for a unit type you might have 30-90 of in an army is just insulting, even by their standards. Additionally, the new "big" monster isn't any bigger than the previous larger monsters, but is priced on par with an Imperial Knight, which is nearly twice as big as the new bug (The Norn is about 10cm tall, not counting the scenic base, while a Knight is 10 inches tall).

Overall, this could have been one of the most impressive range updates ever put out by GW, but ignoring some of the most crucial models for the best loved unit types, and releasing four flavours of Lictor and a Bigger Batman of the Tyrant instead, coupled with a suspect pricing model on the basic infantry for a horde army, ends up making it one of the most irritating instead - we can see what GW is currently capable of doing with the Tyranid design space, but it's basically impossible to build a functional "typical" Tyranid army using only the newer, much better models.

In the end, it doesn't feel worth the effort or expense.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Too bad it's shitty Forgeworld resin and has no rules in the main game the character is featured in.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Does this mean you won't be getting any of the new minis?  I thought they had successfully dragged you back.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

They've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in that regard.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I am disappoint.  I was looking forward to pics of some hungry new Tyranids converging on one of your pies.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Petition GW to fix Tyranid Warriors and you might get your wish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed