New Aliens: Colonial Marines Images

Started by ikarop, Apr 21, 2012, 02:31:07 PM

Author
New Aliens: Colonial Marines Images (Read 44,413 times)

Predaker

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Apr 22, 2012, 06:00:38 PM
Quote from: newbeing on Apr 22, 2012, 01:23:06 PM
So by that logic every movie after Alien wouldn't be considered canon?

Think of it this way, each of the Alien movies was around 2 hours long and introduced at least 1 new alien type. So it doesn't seem unreasonable that a game, which could run 8 hours would introduce 4 or more new Alien types. If there are really only 3 acts in the game I wouldn't be surprised if we're introduced to 1 or more new aliens per act.

IMO what we've seen really isn't stretching the canon all that far. Then again, the newborn kind of broke my grading curve. What a piece of shit that thing was.

I agree. I am fine with new enemy types, as long as they aren't stretching it. I am hoping that Xeno in the pic is NOT a spider Xeno, but everytime I see it, thats what pops into my head.
I see what you mean. That may just be some confusion between the dorsal tubes mixing with stuff that is hanging from the ceiling. The drawing is not very clear.

Please no spider xenos! Lol

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 22, 2012, 04:17:02 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Apr 22, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
who cares about this, still 1 year to go -.- (i address this sega not to ikarop)

better yet. i'm gonna say this again, if there's a moment to dump all your complains and thoughts and ideas, it is now.

so i cant share my opinion on this topic?

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: ikarop on Apr 21, 2012, 02:33:23 PM

I hate when they do this... They used an alien from the original 1999 AVP for the PC in the image on the top right corner...

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 22, 2012, 07:11:08 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Apr 22, 2012, 07:05:29 PM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 22, 2012, 04:17:02 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Apr 22, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
who cares about this, still 1 year to go -.- (i address this sega not to ikarop)

better yet. i'm gonna say this again, if there's a moment to dump all your complains and thoughts and ideas, it is now.

so i cant share my opinion on this topic?
I believe he is saying now is a great time for you to share your opinions, thoughts, ideas, etc.

Please do!

just find the whole pushing back yet still advertising since 2009 stuff ridicolous

stemot

stemot

Quote from: Mikey on Apr 22, 2012, 08:06:16 PM

I hate when they do this... They used an alien from the original 1999 AVP for the PC in the image on the top right corner...

Noticed that as well, just lazy.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: stemot on Apr 22, 2012, 10:04:05 PM

That is an old pic. Its just concept art. The actual game looks different now.

The alien floating off into space in the background is a pic from a toy alien. The alien dancing in the hallway is a commonly used pic for the warrior. You can find them both easily by searching google images.

Nightlord

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 22, 2012, 10:21:45 PM

The alien floating off into space in the background is a pic from a toy alien. The alien dancing in the hallway is a commonly used pic for the warrior. You can find them both easily by searching google images.

http://p3sflw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1ptsgQpZ2cHtT2NYkM7VnshxHsncgSoG9IdYYSASTLZrXIejtTstVAE5LPa9DhX3UCStBJLr0yoTTR1XnWjXlEAg/Classic_Alien-statue.jpg
It's still lazy as hell though and just pointless.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Nightlord on Apr 22, 2012, 10:36:38 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Apr 22, 2012, 10:21:45 PM

When you have hundreds and hundreds of concept or storyboard pieces to do in a short amount of time you sometimes have to cut corners.

However I don't think they should be using those types of images for media.

http://p3sflw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1ptsgQpZ2cHtT2NYkM7VnshxHsncgSoG9IdYYSASTLZrXIejtTstVAE5LPa9DhX3UCStBJLr0yoTTR1XnWjXlEAg/Classic_Alien-statue.jpg
It's still lazy as hell though and just pointless.

Ok not sure why this didn't post my text the first time...

When you have to make hundreds upon hundreds of concept images you sometimes have to cut some corners, especially when your on a strict timeline.

I will agree that it almost looks too in game to be used as promotional material. There is probably much better concept art to show.

Predaker

How is it lazy? It's concept art. Those images are not representative of gameplay. It's put together as a concept which they built upon. Why waste effort on that? The true effort goes into the actual game, not the concept art (visually speaking.)

There are plenty of other pictures which are much better, and show how much effort they truly put into this game. It's not accurate to judge them based off one picture that was never intended to be an actual gameplay screenshot.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 22, 2012, 11:01:44 PM
How is it lazy? It's concept art. Those images are not representative of gameplay. It's put together as a concept which they built upon. Why waste effort on that? The true effort goes into the actual game, not the concept art (visually speaking.)

There are plenty of other pictures which are much better, and show how much effort they truly put into this game. It's not accurate to judge them based off one picture that was never intended to be an actual gameplay screenshot.

It's false advertising when that shit gets put into a magazine.

Also, since it's being used publicly as part of promotional material for the game, they should be in trouble for stealing someone elses artwork.

chupacabras acheronsis

the whole world belongs to Fox.

Predaker

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 23, 2012, 12:24:46 AM
the whole world belongs to Fox.
Yea fox owns all the rights. I do not think they will get into legal trouble. The magazine used it for an early game review, so its not an actual advertisement. (Literally speaking)

As newbeing mentioned, it was most likely part of their storyboard. I am sure those images of the aliens will not be in the final product.

OpenMaw

Just seems kinda wrong to me to do that, though.

I mean, privately? Sure. But this is something you're showing to people in a magazine, you should have your own assets on display and nothing else.

HUGZZ

HUGZZ

This has to be my favorite alen design by far :D can't wait to play the game :)

The Necronoir

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 23, 2012, 12:13:50 AM
It's false advertising when that shit gets put into a magazine.

Also, since it's being used publicly as part of promotional material for the game, they should be in trouble for stealing someone elses artwork.

By that logic any concept artwork, pre-rez graphics, or simple box art is false advertising because it doesn't reflect the visual look of what's in the final game. Concept art is precisely that: a quick encapsulation of a very specific thing for the artists to work from. As someone interested in the game-making process, I love the insight concept art provides. Some of it is good enough to frame, and some of it is a slap-dash attempt to convey something rather straightforward. Why bother drawing an alien warrior from scratch when you can simply drop in an existing graphic to give a rough idea of scale etc?

As for the topic at hand, I wonder what gameplay role this new sub-type of alien is going to play. To judge based on its look, I would have said stealth/ambush, but we already know the domed aliens are fulfilling that role. The ridge heads are fulfilling the cannon fodder role, and the crusher is going to be the brute, so what does that really leave? Ranged attacks, maybe?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed