Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 122,652 times)

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: Gazz on May 10, 2017, 08:42:18 AM
It's certainly poor form/ considered unprofessional from an industry perspective.

From the perspective of everyone else, it's fair game.

Poor form? Why? Because Ridley Scott killed off one of the "leads" in Prometheus?
The only thing that could've been done better is to increase the emotional impact it had.

The crew of Covenant doesn't really know Shaw in the first place. It's just an off-screen death. Yeah, it could've been better. But it's fine as is.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Not sure what Haag's tweets have to do with Shaw.

SyntaX

SyntaX

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 10, 2017, 09:45:19 AM

I think I misquoted someone here ...  ;D

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: SyntaX on May 10, 2017, 09:49:41 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 10, 2017, 09:45:19 AM

I think I misquoted someone here ...  ;D

You did :P

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: El Diablo on May 10, 2017, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 10, 2017, 07:48:32 AM
Quote from: Godzillakuj94 on May 09, 2017, 05:11:14 PM
For those who have seen it, are there any scenes with practical aliens? Or are they all CG in the final product?

The only thing that really stood out to me as being practical was a
Spoiler
close-up of the Alien head with the inner-jaw in motion.
[close]

At the very first screening I attended in October it was stated before the film began that there would be unfinished creature effects, and that whatever practical work seen would act as a placeholder for digital re-creation.
Spoiler
I saw stunt suits and a creepy full size Neomorph for just a handful of seconds, which looked great (both cuts I saw had different close-ups and angles). The shot you see in the TV spot of the Neomorph standing silently before lunging forward with its mouth open was originally performed by a costumed actor with an animatronic head.
[close]

Hmm, sounds like another "The Thing 2011" situation...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 10, 2017, 06:41:37 AM
The cinematography in Ghost in the Shell is not 'better'... and there's his qualification right there in that comment. GITS hardly has a real landscape or set to capture... It has all the cinematography of a dead fish.

Where did he say Ghost in the Shell's cinematography was better?  ???

Quote from: Ingwar on May 10, 2017, 06:37:29 AM
Wayne seems to be a nice guy but average cinematography? Cannot believe it. Ghost in the shell better than Covenant?

He said:

Quote from: Wayne Haagaverage cinematography in places

And he's correct.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 10, 2017, 08:26:42 AM
Aye. I don't know what you guys are reading but the guy is just sharing his opinion of the film.

Beats me Corporal, I don't have the foggiest either.  :-\

echobbase79

echobbase79

Overall a positive review from Gamespot.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien-covenant-review/1100-6449922/

Beware Spoilers, but here's a summary of what they liked and didn't like about the movie:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I'd agree with that.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Sounds like some of the viral marketing actually should've been in the film.

The death scenes can feel unaffecting, and they aren't helped much in their significance by the fact that much of the crew are married. It's an unexpected element, and Scott attempts to use it to make each death all the more painful to witness. However, the impact isn't always there. Holding things back is the script in general, as we don't learn enough about what the crew members are leaving behind or much of anything that would help the audience try to understand their relationships on a deeper level.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, that's a fair shout.

I don't think you even find out Lope and Hallett are a couple in the film until after Hallett is dead, whereas they're clearly together in the crew intro prequel.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 10, 2017, 04:09:11 PM

Where did he say Ghost in the Shell's cinematography was better?  ???

My mistake. I conflated the two tweets of his. But regardless, Ghost in the Shell and Skull Island are awful films in my opinion... in terms of filmmaking.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .and i was looking forward to watching kong and buying the dvd for multiple viewings. .

kwisatz

kwisatz

Lets all share opinions no-fuss --

Wayne Haag is an intelligent person with obvious (high) standards. He knows the actual status of films like GitS and Kong and their overall perception, especially among his peers. Just comparing AC to them without being asked and then putting them above AC, i mean lol, it doesnt get any clearer except outright trashing AC.

newagescamartist

Quote from: kwisatz on May 11, 2017, 01:29:47 AM
Lets all share opinions no-fuss --

http://www.namespedia.com/image/Trank_5.jpg

Wayne Haag is an intelligent person with obvious (high) standards. He knows the actual status of films like GitS and Kong and their overall perception, especially among his peers. Just comparing AC to them without being asked and then putting them above AC, i mean lol, it doesnt get any clearer except outright trashing AC.

lol what's Josh Trank doing here? Keep him as far away from this series as possible!  :laugh:

Magegg

Magegg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0McqvN-njU

Basically, what I predicted :/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed