Curious facts about yourself

Started by OmegaZilla, Oct 27, 2010, 01:42:59 PM

Author
Curious facts about yourself (Read 436,649 times)

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Over the past few years I've been really practicing in singing, been making recordings too, mostly covers. I don't have a singer's voice, I don't even consider myself one, but I enjoy it. Would actually like to perform at a pub or cafe someday, for a small audience. If I ever had the chance, of course.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kaltes on May 29, 2016, 03:37:44 AM
I talk to myself...a lot.

I do the same but I do it because I find it helps to me think by vocalizing my thoughts.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I personally believe that there is more than what we are lead to believe in this world. I believe that there are things which as children we initially believe in, but later on we are taught are make-believe and are conditioned that they don't exist. That the only things left in this world which are taken as solid are politics, jobs and careers, taxes and bills. But I believe that there are things which we are conditioned are make-believe.. are out there and exist.

I believe in Bigfoot.
I believe in the Loch Ness monster.
I believe in ghosts.
I believe in faeries.
I believe in psychic abilities.
I believe in chi.
I believe in extraterrestrials.
I believe in the supernatural.

Every time that I listen to radio podcast from Coast to Coast AM featuring George Noory and Art Bell-- I wonder where these things hide, and where they survive in our modern world. The things which we are taught are smoke and mirrors, the stuff of make-believe.. I believe and know in my heart are very real. They're just hiding..

PVTDukeMorrison

I love the sound of bagpipes, don't ask why, I just do

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

I am the oldest of three siblings, at the ripe age of 31. Sister is 29 and brother is 27.

Prez

Prez

I'm partially blind in my right eye since the 1998 after ramming a screwdriver in behind my cornea - hit the optic nerve and did permanent damage. Freak work accident. Lucky I didn't kill myself actually.

Luckily though there is no physical scarring and you'd never know by looking at me.

Lesson for you all - wear safety googles ;-)

Randomizer

Randomizer

Glad you're not dead. How hard is it for you to see things? Is it the same as keeping one of your eyes closed?

When I was about 6 years old I accidentally inhaled a piece of sponge (probably from a doll or something) which remained stuck in my nose. From what I remember I got a nasty infection (though I don't remember any sort of pain at all) and had the thing removed. Speed up to present day and I've got no sense of smell. The only thing I can notice is the general humidity/fresh air. Had dozens of flowers and perfumes and wet wipes given to me when trying to explain.

Now the odd thing is that I got lucky once, and this made me question whether or not I can't smell anything at all or make a difference. Doubt it's anything related to the brain. There was also a time when I had nose bleeds regularly to the point of getting it cauterized, but it's not due to that. It's something that originated way earlier.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Randomizer on Jul 28, 2016, 04:27:12 PM
Glad you're not dead. How hard is it for you to see things? Is it the same as keeping one of your eyes closed?

I'm lucky that I have near perfect vision in my good eye - took my brain 6 months to adjust to using only one eye. I drive, played sport (retired as too old now) and design for a living - reality is it didn't affect much bar my depth perception and I have no peripheral vision to my right. My right eye itself has about 75% loss of vision. It's hard to explain but the bottom half of my vision in that eye is all dark. Top is more murky but I can make things out.

When I was about 6 years old I accidentally inhaled a piece of sponge (probably from a doll or something) which remained stuck in my nose. From what I remember I got a nasty infection (though I don't remember any sort of pain at all) and had the thing removed. Speed up to present day and I've got no sense of smell. The only thing I can notice is the general humidity/fresh air. Had dozens of flowers and perfumes and wet wipes given to me when trying to explain.

Now the odd thing is that I got lucky once, and this made me question whether or not I can't smell anything at all or make a difference. Doubt it's anything related to the brain. There was also a time when I had nose bleeds regularly to the point of getting it cauterized, but it's not due to that. It's something that originated way earlier.

Wow. I had a friend who dated a girl once who slipped in the bathroom, hit her head and lost her sense of taste. Perhaps your infection did some damage to the nasal senses or maybe also affected that area of your brain too.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Jesus, Prez. That sounds insanely close!

I got some blu-tac stuck in my ear as a kid but that's all I've got for these kind of stories.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 29, 2016, 02:22:26 PM
Jesus, Prez. That sounds insanely close!

I got some blu-tac stuck in my ear as a kid but that's all I've got for these kind of stories.

Yep. One of those freakish one in a million type accidents. To be honest I've never considered it a disability. I'm very fortunate that there is no obvious physical scarring.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: Prez on Jul 29, 2016, 02:10:00 PM

Wow. I had a friend who dated a girl once who slipped in the bathroom, hit her head and lost her sense of taste. Perhaps your infection did some damage to the nasal senses or maybe also affected that area of your brain too.

Whatever that was. It's not affecting me at all now. More like a fun thing you'd tell your friends over a bottle of beer.  ::)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 29, 2016, 02:22:26 PM

Played safe, huh?  :P

I know there's more but having a hard time remembering any. Childhood was one hell of a ride.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Hmm weird fact about me? I've been told by a few that it's weird that I enjoy putting slime on myself whether its my hands or my face. I've been a huge fan of slime since it used to come with 80s toys & I still collect some when I come across it & yes I'll actually put it on my face & let it drip down. I like the feel & smell, if I ever came across a factory & they had a vat of the stuff, I would jump in haha That's only 1 of the many weird things about myself. I also need to have everything of mine whether its comics, movies, games, toys, whatever, it has to be in alphabetical order or I'll go nuts until it's in order.

Randomizer

Randomizer

In contrast to what I said earlier, I love sponges and how they feel. Like, to the point where I bought one of these satisfy my sense of touch. Not sure how you'd call it in English.

Spoiler

Not that I'd stick these into my mouth, but still creepy nonetheless.   :-X

[close]

Topazora

Topazora

I'm getting really addicted to these base building strategy games, especially the sci fi space ones.  I have several on my phone and tablet...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The Facebook ones?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed