Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 686,078 times)

Puks

Puks

Indeed.

What a tragic revelation.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

AvP is tolerable until it becomes an advocate for interspecies erotica. Seriously, even Requiem didn't f**k up that badly.

Puks

Puks

AvPR f**ked up in almost..

Meh, not this again..

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

Well I just watched AVPR again with my friend during the sleep over, it honestly wasn't bad...the second time I saw it...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Puks on Jun 27, 2010, 02:36:15 AM

Meh, not this again..
I agree with you so much it hurts.

bleau

bleau

Watched AVP and since following Predators, I hate the AVP's even more.

xenomorpher

xenomorpher

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 27, 2010, 01:43:45 AM
Quote from: xenomorpher on Jun 24, 2010, 01:16:33 AM
They moved so slow some of the time when they were "running" away. They looked like a kid caught with his pants down while mooning someone.

This is awesome.

The most horrifying thing about the first AvP is that it's disguised as possibly a decent film.  It has the credibility of the Alien and Predator characters.  It has Lance Henrikson and that black dude from Resident Evil.  It has an interesting plot, and even takes a few ideas from the original AvP comic, which was utterly awesome.  It... it...

It sneaks into your brain, crawling way in there, into your "comfortable movie" zone where you sit back and relax to escape into a great film.  Then, once inside, it starts pulling out scenes like the slow motion fireball run, or the cat aliens, or the 40-foot alien tail that lifts Chopper up, or the if-it-continues-for-one-more-awkward-second-I'm-really-going-to-leave-the-room stares between Scar and Lex.  It's like a good friend that you've known and trusted for years who comes over drunk and poops in the middle of your kitchen floor.

http://blog.enterpriseitplanet.com/green/blog/blogpost_img/picard_facepalm.jpg

I never really noticed Scar and Lex staring at each other. I always just thought she was looking past him at the rubble and just thinking about the crap she had to go through while "looking proud". The long Alien tail I did notice. I also noticed the tail moving in the hiding spot more when the alien emerged. So that kind of made it look, at least to me, like the alien speared the predator with it's butt toward him for maximum reach for it's tail. If you rewatch it you may see what I'm talking about.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 27, 2010, 02:35:19 AM
AvP is tolerable until it becomes an advocate for interspecies erotica.

Wasn't the entire first encounter with the Alien until adulthood in Alien absolutely about solely that?

Look at this hypocrisy. It's downright terrifying when the Alien does it, but it just makes people awkward and uncomfortable when the Predator does it. Racists, I say!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Puks on Jun 27, 2010, 02:36:15 AM

Meh, not this again..

Ya, it did f**k up. Mostly when it came to the way it was made though, IMO, more so than just what each character/creature was doing in the film which is worse, as AvP showed.

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Jun 27, 2010, 04:41:32 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 27, 2010, 02:35:19 AM
AvP is tolerable until it becomes an advocate for interspecies erotica.

Wasn't the entire first encounter with the Alien until adulthood in Alien absolutely about solely that?

Look at this hypocrisy. It's downright terrifying when the Alien does it, but it just makes people awkward and uncomfortable when the Predator does it. Racists, I say!

It was poetic in its execution. It was meant to disturb you, that is, if you understood the surrealism behind it. AvP was just romance.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

There wasn't any "interspecies romance". Scar showed respect for that human that helped him marking her as a true warrior. Sayin' "interspecies erotica/romance/blahhh" is much like saying that the new Super Predator looks like Freddy Krueger... ergo, nonsense created just to be critical and stuff.

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

Not really I think the sp looks like freddy, in a good way.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Yeah, it does look very Kruegerish.  :D

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Way to get off topic.

Anyway, it is a bit hard to not interpret it as a moment of emotion. As much as I agree with you, Oz, about it being respect and honor and pride and stuff, the moment doesn't portray that well. It ends up coming off as awkward and uncomfortable. It was pretty poorly shot, much like everything after Scar and Lex team up (except the Queen fight, where there were some pretty awesome shots).

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I really sympathize with you.  In the AvP comic, which started the whole series (off right) Dachande and Machiko develop the same relationship, but the situation is handled MUCH better.  They basically save the Pred's life, and all of his young yautja are let loose on the colony and start killing everything.  Machiko then saves the Pred's life, and the situation escalates.

I feel that in AvP the movie it's just handled terribly, same with the stares and unbearable moments meant to get an "ooh" or chuckle from the audience, like when Scar turns to watch Lex leave after she shoots Sebastian.  Any mature director would go "no, no no no, no way, that would be ridiculous and completely out of place with the Predator character."  Not our friend Anderson :(.

So many scenes were like that, just the little things that push the movie into the B category.  The general behavior of the Preds and Aliens flips from almost accurate (including using the same growls and screams from the old movies) to totally bogus, where the Preds act like huge, clumsy football players, not the cunning, agile, and sadistic killers they are, and the aliens hop around like cats and do idiotic things like leap on spears and shriek before they attack so you know they're there.  They became stupid movie monsters, even when the Aliens are communicating with their queen, they like turn and stare at the wall.  These things illustrate that the movie was made for someone who had no idea what an Alien or Predator are, and most of these people (if they can get over the acting) probably like the movie because they don't know how poorly the creatures have been represented.

I think the Celtic/Grid fight is actually one of my favorite scenes, but they STILL manage to throw in total goof things, like when Celtic jumps up off the ground...  he looks like the stay-puffed marshmallow man!  Just awkward, same with Grid.  He will act like an alien, then act like a damn shrieking housecat.  What gives?  It's this constant back-and-forth that drives me totally insane about the movie. 

I still own it, however, and for some reason still watch it.  I am weak, the movies take advantage of me.  I'll deal with their crap just to see the few scenes of awesomeness.

Mr. Self Destruct

Mr. Self Destruct

I'm sorry, I know I'm going to get flamed for this. I actually liked AvP better than Aliens. Only by a smidgen though. The thing that places AvP higher than Aliens on my list, is the fact the Aliens aren't just "bugs". One Aliens is showed taking down two Predators with relative ease. I feel they get more respect in this film than in Aliens, or Alien: Resurrection, and of course, AvPR. It just feels like a really powerful creature, especially when Grid lifts Gill into the air, the soundtrack was soooo epic, the scene was soooo EPIC. I literally had goosebumps crawling all over me, and then the headbite, and then Celtic turns around like "Time for an ass whooping." I was totally expecting the Alien to loose, but the way Grid overpowers and impales Celtic like that was just so......EPIC.

Really, the end fight was pretty cool too, but I still like the Queen vs. Powerloader fight. More epic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed