Super7 To Release Lost Kenner Figures

Started by Manchu, Sep 04, 2013, 07:39:05 PM

Author
Super7 To Release Lost Kenner Figures (Read 4,738 times)

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2014, 01:18:21 AMMind you one thing that I found amusing is the box saying 'Adult collectible - Not a toy'.

The word "wanker" doesn't even begin to cover it.  :D

Right?? I heard Comic Book Guy's voice in my head when I read that.

I personally am gonna play the hell outta these things when they arrive. And why not? I've been waiting since '79! :D

SM

SM

Yeah that whole "This toy is meant to be looked at - not played with!!" mentality is just sad.

Mr. Clemens

...aaaand, one more, then I'm done.  :P

Born Of Cold Light

From now on, the alien from the first film is to be called Big Chap.  No questions.

Mr. Domino

They're also putting these out, which I'll be getting. I passed on the figures, because I thought they were about twice as pricey as they ought to be, but these are a lot more reasonable.

Mr. Clemens

I got these toys 3 or 4 weeks ago, but forgot to come back here and describe. In short, they're a joy to possess... if you were a kid in '79 and desperately longed to play Alien with real, licensed Alien toys.

Back then, I narrowly missed getting the 18" Kenner Alien (a long, sad story I can tell you if you want to cry). But I did manage to grab the MPC Alien model kit. Didn't even need to paint it, as the colour was pretty good (a sickly, dark greenish brown)!

I can't count the long afternoons I spent in 1980 playing Alien on my Kenner Death Star set (the one with four floors and an elevator). I had my model Alien, but no Nostromo crew. So, I recast the film with my Star Wars toys:

• Han Solo as Dallas
  • Princess Leia as Ripley
  • Lobot as Ash
  • Lando Calrissian as Parker
  • Bespin Guard as Brett

I didn't have anything to represent Lambert, and Kane was dead by the time the action aboard the Nostromo began in earnest, so I was mostly set (mostly ;)).

Now, I finally have some of those toys I always dreamed of. I only hope they do the others!

But yes, if you're looking for dead-on replicas to display on your desk at work, these aren't them.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Jan 20, 2014, 08:20:27 PM
They're also putting these out, which I'll be getting. I passed on the figures, because I thought they were about twice as pricey as they ought to be, but these are a lot more reasonable.

I'm very tempted to get these. Saw them on a website for like $30.

newbeing

Saw Ash, Dallas and the Alien at a Newbury Comics and had to pass on them. $16 is way too pricey for these figures, but I guess they are probably in limited supply and for collectors.

Might pick up the glasses.

Xenomrph

I finally told BBTS to ship my order of the retro figure set. I'd had it sitting in my "pile of loot" for a while until the new wave of Transformers figures came in, but I'm tired of waiting. :P

Corporal Hicks

And those glasses are now $50. I think not. That's a shame, I quite liked them.

Xenomrph

I got my set of the retro figures in the mail today, they're pretty hilarious.

You really need to be "into" the whole retro motif (and it helps if you know the history of the figures) to really appreciate them, because by themselves the figures aren't anything special. I mean they really do feel like they're straight out of the 70s, lack of detail and articulation and everything.

Part of me wants to try and film a retro TV commercial for these things, in the style of the old 1979 Kenner 12" Alien toy commercial.

Mr. Clemens

I just realized this hasn't been mentioned here yet, but for those interested, Wave 2 is in the pipe for next month:

Corporal Hicks

Have these come down in price now?

Mr. Clemens

Yep, they're generally $9.99 each. I preordered mine from BigBadToyStore. You're UK, right? Shipping here to Canada was about $20 for two sets of these four, not sure what they'd charge for overseas.

Darwinsgirl

The local Walmart has them for $10.99 plus tax.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed