New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 119,928 times)

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I'm not sure seeing one use Predjitsu on Arnie would've had quite the same effect as just watching it pummel him.

I especially like the bit where Arnie punches it on the noggin, and it glares back at him for a moment before mimicking him, balling up its first and slamming him right back in the face.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 08, 2020, 06:35:31 AM
I always thought Predators being pretty perfunctory brawlers was more in keeping with the character than any sort of flowy martial art. Who the hell tries to use martial arts when hunting lions, tigers, bears, oh my?

I'm sure there would be Predators who have some sort of impressive martial arts the same way humans do, but it doesn't really feel consistent with the tribal warrior characterisation.

I won't get into a long post, cause I'm in the bed sick. But there's far more to martial arts than 70s era Kung Fu.

Any sort of fighting style, no matter how simplistic is a form of some kind of martial art. Even what you see Wrestlers do is a dumbed down version of some form of martial arts.

I'm calling for a well thought out form of combat to compliment their size and physicality, and capability. Hard simple strikes and lunges would work well and not come off as silly. Look to Bājíquán or Muay Thai, or other fighting disciplines that premier mostly simple, hard strikes using elbows, knees and fist. If you can use your imagination, it could look quite ideal.

And they don't have to constantly pump out these forms of attacks. Just anything is better than literally everything we have ever got on film.

Also, with regards to we don't use martial arts versus game comment, that's true. Because it wouldn't physically make a difference. Predators are superior to US in every way. Physical ability, tech. I can't fathom how back hand slapping us is acceptable, but any form of actual punching isn't.

EDIT - Even if the focus is on bladed weapons techniques, there's better ways to visually show them using their weapons than what we got with Hanzo, for example. Which looked like a child flailing around his parent's butcher knife.

Doomofman

Well this thread seems to have devolved somewhat

Just wanted to pop in and say if this movie does happen, please for the love of god have the predator be a person in a suit and not some CGI abomination

That is all

Sol

Quote from: Doomofman on Dec 08, 2020, 03:24:25 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say if this movie does happen, please for the love of god have the predator be a person in a suit and not some CGI abomination

I'm totally comfortable in 2020 having both. There's no real reason, not to. Good CGI you don't actually see.

skhellter

I'm sure there would be Predators who have some sort of impressive martial arts the same way humans do, but it doesn't really feel consistent with the tribal warrior characterisation.

to be fair.. it's not as if space age weaponry is consistent with the tribal warrior aesthetic either.

Sol

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 08, 2020, 03:56:11 PM

to be fair.. it's not as if space age weaponry is consistent with the tribal warrior aesthetic either.

Exactly. And, if we are talking about something actually "fitting" the 'tribal warrior' aesthetic, which Preds themselves do not actually conform to in totality, various forms of martial arts are thousands of years old, unlike light bending technology, shoulder mounted laser cannons, interstellar travel...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Sol on Dec 08, 2020, 01:42:51 PM
Even if the focus is on bladed weapons techniques, there's better ways to visually show them using their weapons than what we got with Hanzo, for example. Which looked like a child flailing around his parent's butcher knife.

I can't speak to the authenticity of it, but it was supposed to be choregraphed based on a Japanese sword fighting style. The name escapes me at the minute.

Sol

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 04:01:52 PM
Even if the focus is on bladed weapons techniques, there's better ways to visually show them using their weapons than what we got with Hanzo, for example. Which looked like a child flailing around his parent's butcher knife.

I can't speak to the authenticity of it, but it was supposed to be choregraphed based on a Japanese sword fighting style. The name escapes me at the minute.

I kind of remember reading something about that. It seems as if the focus was more on Hanzo's movements than Falconer's. More than likely, it was Jigen-ryu which is an old Samurai sword fighting style that emphasizes strong, quick strikes using traditional Japanese blades, and they typically try to end the battle in one strike, while holding poses similar to what Hanzo used.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Sol on Dec 08, 2020, 04:05:11 PM

I kind of remember reading something about that. It seems as if the focus was more on Hanzo's movements than Falconer's. More than likely, it was Jigen-ryu which is an old Samurai sword fighting style that emphasizes strong, quick strikes using traditional Japanese blades, and they typically try to end the battle in one strike, while holding poses similar to what Hanzo used.

Louis Ozawa-Changchien has been practicing kendo since he was 5 and did his own stunts for Hanzo's fight with the Falconer Predator, but the crew didn't know this when he was cast. He brought his kendo teacher (who he considers a second father) on to help choreograph the scene.

This fight was very well made by highly trained martial artists, most martial arts in film is exaggerated where when you see the pure martial arts in form it looks pale in comparison cuz its not flashy, while in reality is actually functional without the silly spins and open telegraphed fights we see in media.

Sol

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 08, 2020, 06:58:21 PM
Quote from: Sol on Dec 08, 2020, 04:05:11 PM

The Hanzo character himself was fine. My issue is with the Predator's movement.

Louis Ozawa-Changchien has been practicing kendo since he was 5 and did his own stunts for Hanzo's fight with the Falconer Predator, but the crew didn't know this when he was cast. He brought his kendo teacher (who he considers a second father) on to help choreograph the scene.

This fight was very well made by highly trained martial artists, most martial arts in film is exaggerated where when you see the pure martial arts in form it looks pale in comparison cuz its not flashy, while in reality is actually functional without the silly spins and open telegraphed fights we see in media.

SiL

Any sort of fighting style, no matter how simplistic is a form of some kind of martial art. Even what you see Wrestlers do is a dumbed down version of some form of martial arts.
Yes, I know. Which is why I specified flowy and "impressive" martial arts styles.

Master

Hanzo`s fight was fine. Good old kenjutsu based on Akira Kurosawa`s films. Pradator should be shown as swift and aglie but without unnecesary movement. He is hunter not dancer.

SiL

Basically. I think what we've seen so far has suited them pretty well.

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 08, 2020, 08:59:52 PM
Basically. I think what we've seen so far has suited them pretty well.

Sans a few specific instances, I feel most of the altercations have been horrible. Berserker vs Crucified. Celtic vs Grid. Wolf vs Hybrid. Harrigan vs. City (finale). All terrible fights, IMO.

I'm not satisfied with what have been getting, and I feel it's long time for improvement.

SiL

I dunno, feels like it just sort of illustrates they're more about hunting than hand to hand fights. Fits the character that their close combat is just pragmatically trying to pummel the other opponent to death.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed