Possible Script Breakdown *potential spoilers*

Started by goose_3387, Feb 23, 2017, 11:23:02 AM

Author
Possible Script Breakdown *potential spoilers* (Read 155,065 times)

Ramjet311

Ha, i'll take a copy too! Surely there is someone nice enough to spare us a copy

Corporal Hicks

So I finished this off last night and it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe. The only stuff that really had me groaning was the re-used dialogue of which I counted 3 or 4. I think the whole Predator conflict has some real potential but the lines between them were a little fuzzy, I thought. Otherwise, it wasn't actually that bad. You can tell it needs some work to clean up certain story aspects but like I've mentioned previously, the draft we've got was nearly 10 months old by the time the film went in front of cameras so hopefully it's been sufficiently tidied.

But yeah, certain fans are just going to hate this purely because it's something really different.

EJA

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 23, 2017, 08:18:24 AM
So I finished this off last night and it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe. The only stuff that really had me groaning was the re-used dialogue of which I counted 3 or 4. I think the whole Predator conflict has some real potential but the lines between them were a little fuzzy, I thought. Otherwise, it wasn't actually that bad. You can tell it needs some work to clean up certain story aspects but like I've mentioned previously, the draft we've got was nearly 10 months old by the time the film went in front of cameras so hopefully it's been sufficiently tidied.

But yeah, certain fans are just going to hate this purely because it's something really different.

What about that thing I heard about regarding

Spoiler
Predators hunting for the DNA in their prey's spines
[close]

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: EJA on May 23, 2017, 09:49:56 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 23, 2017, 08:18:24 AM

What about that thing I heard about regarding

Spoiler
Predators hunting for the DNA in their prey's spines
[close]

Spoiler
I guess it was confirmed by the leaks, everyone who read it says the same about it, in terms of predator mythos I don't know if it will fit correctly among the stuff we already know (which is not much one must admit), at first I was not fond of this idea, but I try to be open minded and it could be interesting if it's well introduced and executed
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
As an expansion of the lore, I don't see anything wrong with. They're making more of the trophy. It's just in the clarity of the line between the standard Predators and the Upgrades who have gone too far. The script makes it perfectly clear that these Upgrades are f**king nuts and not the norm but how far is too far?
[close]

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 23, 2017, 02:15:46 PM
Spoiler
As an expansion of the lore, I don't see anything wrong with. They're making more of the trophy. It's just in the clarity of the line between the standard Predators and the Upgrades who have gone too far. The script makes it perfectly clear that these Upgrades are f**king nuts and not the norm but how far is too far?
[close]
Spoiler
Do the normal ones inject DNA into them as well or just the Upgrades?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

That's what I'm a little fuzzy on. I could do with a re-read but
Spoiler
seems to me they both took the spines for the purposes of harvesting the DNA of the strongest, as well as just having a trophy but there's some line that can be crossed.
[close]

Just I've only read it the once in 2 sittings so I might not have the full picture yet.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 23, 2017, 02:17:47 PM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
Do the normal ones inject DNA into them as well or just the Upgrades?
[close]

I think SpeedyMaxx said something that
Spoiler
hints that they do take DNA from spines and inject into themselves because somewhere in the plot it is mentioned that human DNA has been found in Predator samples when scientists experimented on them. I assumed he was talking about the classics because one of them was captured and in a lab.
[close]
Maybe he can expand on this himself or anyone else who read the script.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I agree with you, it's just that I initially thought the hunt for sport thing was very symbolic/powerful enough... But overall I'm for expanding the universe as long as it is well executed. Regarding the upgrades taking the experiments too far, I agree too, but don't the "normal" predators injects themselves human DNA too since long ago ? Even before they needed to move from their planet ? It's risky in my opinion, it changes the mythos a lot, in a way that it could take away the beauty of this mysterious hunter that kill for the sake of sport by "scientifically" justify his motives
[close]

Ribmountain

Hello,

I am new and have been looking through this thread for quite some time. I see a lot of back and forth on the look of the predators and so forth. For those who have read the script, can some one talk about some of the weaponry that the humans use. In particular our main group of characters. I am assuming McKenna uses some advance form of sniper rifle? Him being a sniper must come into play at some point?

Thanks again! I love this site and these forums are infinitely better than IMDB.

black

Will Boyd's character be interesting with some features or simply a faceless hero?

Ribmountain

Quote from: black on May 23, 2017, 04:31:45 PM
Will Boyd's character be interesting with some features or simply a faceless hero?

I wonder about this as well. Holbrook is a really good actor so I hope he is more 3 dimensional than what I am hearing.

cliffhanger

after seeing covenant, and reading this stuff, my hopes for this wonderful franchise have sunk deep into the mariana trench.

predators injecting human dna? lol. that's beyond stupid.
predators helping or partnering humans in battle? lol, that's even more stupid.
predators riding tanks instead of using cloaking and advanced alien weaponry? it just doesnt stop.
predator hybrids who are huge and have human eyes and want to take over earth? it just got worse.
predator hybrids in war with classic preds because of what? again, let it stop.
predator spider hybrids. oh my effing gawd. i can't take this serious at all.
predator dogs, lots of them. they werne't bad in rodriguez' movie. it just added nothing.
predators talking human language? what the silly fu*k.

and then i haven't gotten into the autistic kid bs.

it's like somebody is purposefully raping the shiz out of the franchize, for fun. incredible.
i had such high hopes with ridley scott on covenant and it was so bad. we were so wrong.
now this?

overthere

Quote from: cliffhanger on May 23, 2017, 05:05:07 PM
after seeing covenant, and reading this stuff, my hopes for this wonderful franchise have sunk deep into the mariana trench.

predators riding tanks instead of using cloaking and advanced alien weaponry? it just doesnt stop.
predator hybrids who are huge and have human eyes and want to take over earth? it just got worse.
predator dogs, lots of them. they werne't bad in rodriguez' movie. it just added nothing.

it's like somebody is purposefully raping the shiz out of the franchize, for fun. incredible.
i had such high hopes with ridley scott on covenant and it was so bad. we were so wrong.
now this?

Your rundown does not hold any weight, I'm afraid. When you butcher a possible plot point and add a "please stop/it just got worse" does not hold any actual criticism. Let's say the original Predator is now being released and you just read the script, you could have easily written this:

Private army of mercenaries sent to do a government job? lol. that's beyond stupid
Soldiers with unrealistic muscle mass in combat? lol, that's even more stupid
A handful of mercenaries kills entire guerrilla army at their own camp? it just doesn't stop
An alien from space kills everyone one by one just for fun and has a cloaking device to be invisible and sees in infrared and is killed by a tree trunk? what the silly f**k?

See?

All those plot points you mentioned and casually just wrote off with a "lol that's stupid" actually has potential to be good and at the very least it's something new in a Predator movie, finally not a rehash of old ideas.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: overthere on May 23, 2017, 05:16:57 PM
Quote from: cliffhanger on May 23, 2017, 05:05:07 PM

now this?

Your rundown does not hold any weight, I'm afraid. When you butcher a possible plot point and add a "please stop/it just got worse" does not hold any actual criticism. Let's say the original Predator is now being released and you just read the script, you could have easily written this:

Private army of mercenaries sent to do a government job? lol. that's beyond stupid
Soldiers with unrealistic muscle mass in combat? lol, that's even more stupid
A handful of mercenaries kills entire guerrilla army at their own camp? it just doesn't stop
An alien from space kills everyone one by one just for fun and has a cloaking device to be invisible and sees in infrared and is killed by a tree trunk? what the silly f**k?

See?

All those plot points you mentioned and casually just wrote off with a "lol that's stupid" actually has potential to be good and at the very least it's something new in a Predator movie, finally not a rehash of old ideas.

I agree with you on this, decontextualize something like this is obviously not the best thing to do, but like I said in the past, I get the general concern though... I prefer to stay as open minded as possible, I like Shane Black's work in general and I've read some great stuff too (which could not work if poorly executed, but again, I trust Shane Black for this), so the wait will be long

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed