Scott on Covenant 2, Possible Title (Alien: Awakening?) and Shaw's Role

Started by Anthony, Mar 17, 2017, 02:50:38 PM

Author
Scott on Covenant 2, Possible Title (Alien: Awakening?) and Shaw's Role (Read 40,380 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Glaive on Mar 19, 2017, 08:58:04 PM
Even James Cameron, on hearing of Ridley's new prequels/ sequels, glanced up from his re-write of Avatar 5...and muttered, "Dude...You have GOT to be f**kING KIDDING ME..."

He said something to the effect of "Is there any validity to (making an ALIEN movie) it anymore? I dunno. Jury's out."
This, coming from a guy who is making 4 AVATAR sequels. He seems to be projecting. Perhaps he is just upset more people want him to make an ALIEN movie than even 1 of those AVATAR sequels. Sorry James. 

Quote from: zoidy on Mar 19, 2017, 09:19:49 PM
@XENOMORPHOSIS

"Its more confusing over making a set of movie in a randomize order. Seems a tad chaotic."

My point though was that this order you speak of ... doesn't exist.

Okay, let's just nail this.

Where is the confirmation that there's a film coming set between Prometheus and Covenant?

(there isn't)

What there is however are comments made in press junkets which people are imbuing with unsupported speculation. We have no idea.

And yet this non existent movie, and it's non existent intermediate order, are "chaotic"? Something is certainly chaotic, but it's this thread and the rampant (I'd go as far as) hysteria.

;D

Its worth noting that Ridley DID say that "It will take one more after this before we clockwise go into the back door of Alien." to paraphrase.
But he has said numberous times that this is the first in a trilogy. So him saying AWAKENING comes before COVENANT is also supported by this "ONE MORE BEFORE" comment. Chronology can be affected in any number of ways.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Mar 19, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
At the press junket he stated the movies are as follows, Prometheus, Awakening, Covenant. Being set between these 2 films it'll bridge the gap transitioning Shaw's journey and David remaining the only apparent survivor on paradise. https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/how-noomi-rapace-will-return-for-alien-covenant-plus-at-least-four-more-alien-movies-in-the-works-752049
That's not what he said for definite, it looks like just the 3 names in the wrong order, and it's also not what fandango are saying in the article, they don't know. And that's my point. They are the source for this, and they aren't saying what you are claiming.

QuoteWhile those answers all seemed like they came in pieces, what we got out of it was that there may be another Alien movie called Alien: Awakening, and it may either come after the events of Covenant or between Prometheus and Covenant. And that the next one would complete a trilogy, at which time Scott has another three Alien films in his mind.

We don't know. On that basis, it's very unlikely Ridley would be making a prequel between the two film he's (relatively speaking) just made. Makes no sense.

Why do a film that fills in information that will be in reality inferred in Coventant or briefly explained/shown?

What a kerfuffle over nothing.

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 19, 2017, 11:09:33 PM
Its worth noting that Ridley DID say that "It will take one more after this before we clockwise go into the back door of Alien." to paraphrase.
But he has said numberous times that this is the first in a trilogy. So him saying AWAKENING comes before COVENANT is also supported by this "ONE MORE BEFORE" comment. Chronology can be affected in any number of ways.

It will take one more AFTER THIS (covenant) before we clockwise go into the back door of Alien. That's just saying he's doing one more film before either we reach Alien or he does his potential 3 additional films (I doubt it).

This quote looks like he's saying there's another film to come, after Covenant.

PierreVW

Sir Ridley said: "IF makes money, then...."

He ONLY is playing ALL of his options.

If ALIEN: COVENANT(3D) is like a flop, Sir Ridley said I don't care and he returns to his others 5 OR 6 HUGE projects.

ALL of these is speculation, He is only BEING HONEST.

XenoHunter99

You can't take any of this seriously. He has too much going on to say what he will do next. This article from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/17/tom-hardy-ridley-scott-war-party-netflix-andrew-dominik points to Scott producing a war movie starring Tom Hardy and Scott possibly doing a sequel to Gladiator. And who knows what else he might find to fill his schedule? Whatever he says in this promotional press junket, it seems somewhat unlikely that he will spit out yet another Alien movie next year. His interest could shift with the wind.

Protozoid

Quote from: PierreVW on Mar 20, 2017, 01:09:42 AM

Sir Ridley said: "IF makes money, then...."

He ONLY is playing ALL of his options.

If ALIEN: COVENANT(3D) is like a flop, Sir Ridley said I don't care and he returns to his others 5 OR 6 HUGE projects.

ALL of these is speculation, He is only BEING HONEST.
If Covenant flops, I hope the next head of Fox resumes making Prometheus sequels.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 18, 2017, 03:47:41 PM
lol Ridley is at the height of his career. His filmography post-Alien proves it was no fluke.

Patronization, again. Stop prefacing everything you type with lol. Scott hasn't got an unblemished career. Sure, he's had some great films but he's also had stinkers.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 18, 2017, 11:01:55 AM
And again, Giger wouldn't be there without O'Bannon. And we wouldn't be here if Scott got his drunken "Hey, what if the Alien tore off Ripley's head and spoke with her voice?" idea. Or if O'Bannon got his chicken alien idea. Etc.

He was undeniably important. We wouldn't be here if he hadn't been involved, I'm sure of it. But it's way, way wrong to say he "created" or "started" the universe. His input was crucial to the execution of the idea, but not to the creation of the idea itself. And that's what we're missing now.

Indeed. I think Ingwar took too much offense to the term cog but SiL is not wrong. Scott was just one in a group collaboration that made Alien truly great - something that people forget and in my opinion, that shows in Prometheus.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Mar 19, 2017, 01:55:28 AM
My theory is the eggs may literally be Shaw's eggs. She might 'birth' them, so to speak. The we have 2000 more people/embryos on the Covenant, half will be women. So there is possibly 1000 more egg layers on board the Covenant. That may be where the Alien Derelict eggs have come from. Just a theory.

I'm so scared this is the route that Scott is going to go. It just feels like another element of shrinking the size of the Alien universe.

Quote from: Glaive on Mar 19, 2017, 10:08:28 PM
...so Alan Dean Foster's prequel novel is going to be...?

...not coming out? ::)

Hopefully not. ADF hasn't mentioned anything about that.

In regards to all this inbetweenquel and title - it'd make more sense that Ridley simply misspoke with the order. It seems like a really odd release choice and seems like it may confuse the general public and that'd be a mad move to take. Hopefully we'll get some clearer information on the matter soon.

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, I am 50% convinced the Covenant is heading for LV-426.

I think that and frankly most of the plot of AC is just diminishing Alien, its universe and its enduring mystery.

Scorpio

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Mar 20, 2017, 09:38:00 AM
Yeah, I am 50% convinced the Covenant is heading for LV-426.

Does that mean the Covenant crew is the colony from Aliens? 

Corporal Hicks

He means that the colonists are eggmorphed to become to the contents of the Derelict's hold.

shawsbaby

I'll be very curious what this spores/neomorph "explanation" will be. Humans being morphed into eggs, or laying eggs, I can fathom, but my imagination can't figure out how David somehow tinkered with spores to make similar creatures?

zoidy

Doesn't really make sense though, they would presumably need to be eggmorphed in situ, as opposed to moved onto a croissant mid-morph.

Dallas was egg-morphing stuck to a wall wasn't he? Looks like a messy business.

neomorpheus

The problem I have with LV 426 being a destination for Covenant is that although it made sense in the 80s and terraforming is a cool idea, it doesn't make sense they'd spend all that money to make an inhabitable planet habitable again when there are clearly much better places to colonise and even now we are seeing exoplanets that look to be close to Earth and habitable. Perhaps someone can help me out here, is a dead rock like LV 426 of strategic importance or is it just a case that WY sent them there because they knew of the Juggernaut and so the colonists didn't ask any questions? Does WY just go around terraforming planets just because they can?

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 20, 2017, 02:29:28 AM
If Covenant flops, I hope the next head of Fox resumes making Prometheus sequels.
If Covenant flops, it's probably the last Alien movie for a long time. I expect the movie will do all right with worldwide sales, but Life may steal some of its thunder.

shawsbaby

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 20, 2017, 11:49:44 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 20, 2017, 02:29:28 AM
If Covenant flops, it's probably the last Alien movie for a long time. I expect the movie will do all right with worldwide sales, but Life may steal some of its thunder.

Agreed. Prometheus made a lot of money but I think, in the subsequent years, it became clear to Fox that a direct sequel without xenos would not attract the same business. I have a feeling A:C will do really well but who knows how well it has to do to let Scott make several more?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 20, 2017, 09:13:09 AMScott hasn't got an unblemished career. Sure, he's had some great films but he's also had stinkers.

Yeah, I love it when people act like he's never made a bad movie, because his career's had a few missteps.

He's unquestionably made some masterpieces, but he's not unimpeachable.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 20, 2017, 09:13:09 AMIn regards to all this inbetweenquel and title - it'd make more sense that Ridley simply misspoke with the order. It seems like a really odd release choice and seems like it may confuse the general public and that'd be a mad move to take. Hopefully we'll get some clearer information on the matter soon.

To be honest, I give up trying to decipher Ridley's Riddles. He always seems to come out with some nonsensical, indecipherable stuff in his Alien interviews these days :laugh:

One of the reason I'm not putting too much stock in this. Still, I can't deny it's interesting to hear.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed