Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 183,976 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Blade Runner and Alien sharing the same universe doesn't really work in my opinion. Two completely different aesthetics.

And Warner Brothers doesn't own any of the two Blade Runner films or the IP. They just have the North American distribution rights.

FiorinaFury161

I admit David versus Deckard would be boss to watch tho.

Whiskeybrewer

The rumour now is that Comcast have outbid Disney for Fox by offering $60 Billion in Cash rather than the $54 Billion in stocks Disney went with.
Will be interesting to see how it goes

OpenMaw

Personally i'd prefer if neither deal went through and Fox simply got it's shit together.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 09, 2018, 03:21:29 PM
Blade Runner and Alien sharing the same universe doesn't really work in my opinion. Two completely different aesthetics.

And Warner Brothers doesn't own any of the two Blade Runner films or the IP. They just have the North American distribution rights.

Yeah, it's like trying to merge Star Trek with Star Wars.

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 11, 2018, 01:50:31 AM
Personally i'd prefer if neither deal went through and Fox simply got it's shit together.

I just want Marvel to get all of their IPs back.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on May 09, 2018, 07:12:48 AM
You can't legitimately tie those franchises together.

Was it the 2049 commentary or the original blade runner commentary where Ridley talked about the crew from the nostromo coming back to that version of earth and walking down the street to a bar? Granted, there may be a need to tweak a few things, but life on earth being one of the lesser featured things in the Alien series, you can basically connect them with anything. Could say the nexus models were too lifelike and emotional, so were replace by more android and controllable A.I. And there was that letter from Weyland written about the death of Tyrell. The two series have also shared sound effects. You don't need to have the Aliens running loose on earth, but a skilled writer and director should easily be able to merge them. Ridley certainly could.

SM

While I can easily see Earth in Alien veing like Earth in BR, the histories of both universes don't fit.

You'd need more than a few tweaks.

Local Trouble

Aren't you worried that Comcast may be jeopardizing your future in Disney's Alien Story Group?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Comcast has now further sweetened their offer by including a $2.5 billion "break-up fee". What this means is that if the Fox/Comcast deal runs into regulatory trouble Fox will still get the $2.5 billion. Not sure if a deal between Fox and Comcast carries a greater risk than a deal between Fox and Disney.

Quote from: Huggs on May 11, 2018, 03:07:27 AM
Granted, there may be a need to tweak a few things, but life on earth being one of the lesser featured things in the Alien series, you can basically connect them with anything. Could say the nexus models were too lifelike and emotional, so were replace by more android and controllable A.I. And there was that letter from Weyland written about the death of Tyrell. The two series have also shared sound effects. You don't need to have the Aliens running loose on earth, but a skilled writer and director should easily be able to merge them. Ridley certainly could.

CdL said the letter from Weyland about Tyrell was just a little fun easter egg and shouldn't be considered canon or taken seriously. Shared sound effects and video clips of screen display graphics is neither here nor there. It happens all the time in film. Blade Runner also features a Millennium Falcon model and sounds effects from Empire Strikes back while SW Ep.2 features spinners flying in the background of Coruscant.

Aside from the Alien/BR timeline compatibility issues, stylistically Blade Runner is half set in the future and half set in the 1930 to 1950's Noir era. People are already complaining about how Prometheus/Covenant doesn't match up technology wise with Alien/Aliens. Can you imagine Prometheus in the same world as Blade Runner with it's forties fashions/hair-styles and heavy Art Deco stylizing on buildings and vehicles etc.

BR Production illustrator, Tom Southwell talks a bit about this in Dangerous Days. Says they all originally thought they were doing Alien 2 but after seeing the Union Station sets it started dawning on them that this was something completely different style-wise. As Crazy Shrimp says, it's like trying to merge Star Trek with Star Wars.

Nukiemorph

Are these timeline issues actually in the films or just supplemental materials found elsewhere?  Not talking about the tech.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 11, 2018, 04:38:28 AM
Aren't you worried that Comcast may be jeopardizing your future in Disney's Alien Story Group?

I think Fox will probably just keep operating more or less as-is - just with a different parent.

whiterabbit

I agree that short term fox will run as is but over 2-3 years priorities and leadership will change no matter who buys it. It always does.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 09, 2018, 03:21:29 PM

Couldn't disagree more with that assertion, thematically and aesthetically Alien and Blade Runner merge perfectly, better than AVP ever did.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed