Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 979,881 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

In my opinion, it is.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I don't think you could be more wrong. You're reasoning for why it's the best is full of shit, and when we apply that exact logic to something like Wolfenstein it doesn't work for you.  :laugh:

Just admit that you're blinded by nostalgia and bias.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And some people say Half-Life is the best game (or just FPS) ever for the same reasons when it's compared to later shooters. What's your point?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

They'd be wrong too. Half Life 2 is a linear as f**k game, with easy as f**k puzzles, shitty AI, and horrible gunplay. The only thing it did was have amazing visuals for the time, and a great game engine. Everything else is mediocre. What was YOUR point?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I said Half-Life, not Half-Life 2.

My point is that telling me I'm wrong is silly because like I said earlier, "best all-time game" is purely and entirely subjective. There can't be a right or wrong answer. There are entire lists and articles on gaming sites devoted to this very topic.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

You're right, it is subjective, but your reasoning for why it's the best is wrong. If you said something like, "Doom is the best fps of all time because there's still nothing that I find more fun." it would have been fine, but you went and said that it was the best simply because it influenced and inspired many games after it. That wouldn't make it the best, that would just make it an original game. For it to be the best fps it would need to have the best fps mechanics, which it just simply doesn't. Regardless, if we use your logic the best fps of all time would have to be Wolfenstein, simply because it was the first and inspired every single game after it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's more than just the tech. It's also the lasting impression DOOM left after its release. The term, "DOOM clone" was used to refer to what we now call the FPS genre, prior to "FPS" officially being coined somewhere between 1997 and 1998. DOOM is also the reason why the genre is as popular as it is today. People started to notice PC gaming in general after its release because it was such a huge hit. Granted FPS games (according to official data) aren't as popular on the PC as they once were, but it exploded on the platform thanks to DOOM.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

If Wolfenstein was never created, Doom never would have been made. Doom owes everything to that game, which obviously makes Wolfenstein the best.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Ban him doomrulz.

you know you want to. 

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Dark Forces doesn't hold a candle to DN3D in terms of gameplay. It just had fancy cutscenes.

The weird thing about this is that me and Cal agree on something. That's really been f**king with my head.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

This is essentially a different version of the argument we had, only this time you're right.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 06, 2014, 12:09:42 AM
This is essentially a different version of the argument we had, only this time you're right.

So we're more of a temporary alliance than a permanent tag team?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

As long as you're right, you'll be fine.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Temporary alliance it is

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Super Smash Bros. 3DS

Got everyone so now it's time to try them all out and find my full on mains. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed