Budget ??

Started by beeko, Mar 07, 2007, 02:58:15 AM

Author
Budget ?? (Read 22,333 times)

War Wager

War Wager

quote author=superunknown link=topic=2090.msg30012#msg30012 date=1181079688]
Is it true that AvP 2's budget is only 25 million? 

If the story, characters, and acting are all crap, then a movie like this can always fall back on good SFX and fight scenes.  Now it looks like it won't even have THAT.

There's almost no incentive for me to see this now.  It's obvious that Fox just doesn't care.
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree with that. Just because the films got a low budget, it doesnt mean the story, the acting and the film itself are going to be crap. I have high hopes for this...  ;)

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

We should be sort of thankful for the low budget, its the only reason that this one is ratet R, and i rather see an good 20 million avp then an 45 million crap movie that flops in all ways, well, not in all ways, it was good at the box office, and that was the only good thing about avp.

superunknown

superunknown

Okay let's be honest here: how many of you ACTUALLY think AvP 2 is going to have an intelligent, original script and good acting? 

Seriously.

About the budget: you're right, budgets don't make for good movies.  But they do make for good eye candy.  Let's face it, the only thing AvP had going for it were the effects, which were decent.

What can be done with a budget of 25 million?  We're not dealing with the likes of Danny Boyle here, who can take a small budget of 8 million and create a masterpiece like 28 Days Later, we're dealing with Shane Salerno and a movie that takes place in freakin Colorado.

AvP 2 looks like its going for the Slither/Tremors style feel...and that's not suitable for an Alien or Predator film.

Highland

Highland

mmmmmmm, I could live with $35 Mill, but $25 Mill on a picture like this? I'm not so sure now.

I think maybe thats what Darkness is on about, Pitch Black (i've mentioned this before)was made for about $23 Mill and was a solid Sci fi movie, but it had Vin Diesel to steal the show. We dont seem to have that luxury here, unless of course someone steps up to the plate.

$25 Million is about as Low as you could possibly get on a movie like this. In my opinion.

fluxcap

fluxcap

Quote from: superunknown on Jun 05, 2007, 10:05:01 PM
AvP 2 looks like its going for the Slither/Tremors style feel...and that's not suitable for an Alien or Predator film.
Interesting you bring that up. If the film does turn out like either of those films, Alien/Predator fans will probably hate the movie, but on the other hand people who praise films like Slither/Tremors may consider AVP2 a cult classic.

SiL

SiL

Pitch Black looked great, had some awesome effects and pretty solid acting for the most part. I think it would've worked even without Vin Diesel in it to steal the show.

And let's face it, good fights don't have to be expensive, even creature fights. It sounds like they're going for the MTV "So close and shaky you can't really see anything anyway" look for their fights, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Highland

Highland

just to add to my budget concerns, The Cave was made for $30 Million.......

Good movie, but again, if thats what $30 mill gets you.........?

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: highlandpred on Jun 05, 2007, 10:08:17 PM
mmmmmmm, I could live with $35 Mill, but $25 Mill on a picture like this? I'm not so sure now.

I think maybe thats what Darkness is on about, Pitch Black (i've mentioned this before)was made for about $23 Mill and was a solid Sci fi movie, but it had Vin Diesel to steal the show. We dont seem to have that luxury here, unless of course someone steps up to the plate.

$25 Million is about as Low as you could possibly get on a movie like this. In my opinion.
Seriously, i think the budget is even lower then that and the production designer already said that this movie 
is the smallest of the most in terms of scale, so i dont expect huge battles with smashing action like die hard4 or something, its a horror movie and its based on its basics, like Alien in 79, and you know what, i freaking like this, "pressure makes diamonds", that was always the concept of any alien or predator movie, no problem with that.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Jun 05, 2007, 10:13:16 PM
Pitch Black looked great, had some awesome effects and pretty solid acting for the most part. I think it would've worked even without Vin Diesel in it to steal the show.

And let's face it, good fights don't have to be expensive, even creature fights. It sounds like they're going for the MTV "So close and shaky you can't really see anything anyway" look for their fights, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Its good to see your still up for it SIL, Usually your in the Sceptical camp, Well we're just going to have to sit tight til that trailer.....

fluxcap

fluxcap

Quote from: SiL on Jun 05, 2007, 10:13:16 PM
I would take the nausea-inducing quick cuts any day over the way the fight between Celtic and Grid was photographed and choreographed. That fight scene was nausea-inducing in a much worse way.

Danger Close

Danger Close

Budget means nothing. Solid filmaking will trump money any day. You can throw all kinds of monye at a project and it could still be crap, in fact, I would be more worried if AVP 2 had a huge budget. That being said, 25 million is low.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Where was it confirmed that 25 million is the actual budget?

superunknown

superunknown

All that's confirmed is that the budget is lower than AvP's.  And AvP was already pretty low-budgeted, comparatively speaking.  One of the crew also stated several times that the movie is small and low-budget.

I got the 25 million figure from wikipedia.  Not always accurate, I know, but it's not impossible.

I mean, I'm not looking for a 200 million dollar movie like Pirates 3 or something, but I would have expected AT LEAST a budget of 40 million or so. 

dudelove

dudelove

My only problem with no budget AvP movies is we wont get a proper Action star vs. Predator fight ever again. I'd rather see The Rock or Jason Statham hamming it up over OC rejects who deliver a mean Hamlet.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I don't really get all the budget worrying.  Considering how many of my fave flicks of all time are quite low budget, I'm all for whatever works best for the project.

Aliens' budget was very low, even adjusted for inflation.  Food for thought.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed