The decline of the fanbase IQ = AVP2

Started by The Unknown, Oct 26, 2007, 06:58:28 PM

Author
The decline of the fanbase IQ = AVP2 (Read 2,224 times)

Nychus

I agree with you, Anomaly. I've felt like that regarding the Jurassic Park franchise for a long time now. All the film-makers care about is the paycheck, not the quality. They can easily hide any "quality" under heavy dozes of CGI and other special effects as the audiences are simply too ignorant nowadays. Heck, reading a good novel gives you more story than a Hollywood film, because all people care about is the "popcorn" and not a good story also essential to a good experience. IMO, this industry has become a production line for "one-time-use" entertainment. Just my two cents so I'll shut up right here without saying any more.

Anomaly

Quote from: Rabbit2100 on Oct 26, 2007, 07:36:09 PM
hmm i feel like sitting back adn watchin this flame war unfold

Dont bother... i already know how these end.

I'm out of this thread. Its born. Whatever happens, happens to it. Just needed to be said.

That Yellow Alien

It is not the fans' faults for crappy movies. It is the studio. They could care less about the franchises as long as they bring in lots of cash. Hence why they don't try at all to make them good. You can't blame the surge of good franchises to bad on fans. Now just plain bad movies, like Stomp The Yard, you can blame on the public, because they actually bother to see shit movies. But as far as the deterioration of great franchises like Terminator and Alien, that is the studio's fault. No one wants McG to direct Terminator 4. Hell, I didn't even want a 4th movie at all.

Demonio Cazador

Quote from: Anomaly on Oct 26, 2007, 07:38:20 PM

Dont bother... i already know how these end.

I'm out of this thread. Its born. Whatever happens, happens to it. Just needed to be said.

See, that's exactly what I mean by this:

Quote from: Demonio Cazador on Oct 26, 2007, 07:35:07 PM
Actually I think if the fanbase, let's say about a 10,000 fans would do a protest outside of Fox studios and boicot the movie, maybe, just maybe they'll listen. I started a thread inviting all the people that hate it to do so, but apparently these people won't put their money where there mouth is!  ;)

echobbase79

yeah he proved your point very well.

Ballzanya

Quote from: Nychus on Oct 26, 2007, 07:37:29 PM
I agree with you, Anomaly. I've felt like that regarding the Jurassic Park franchise for a long time now. All the film-makers care about is the paycheck, not the quality. They can easily hide any "quality" under heavy dozes of CGI and other special effects as the audiences are simply too ignorant nowadays. Heck, reading a good novel gives you more story than a Hollywood film, because all people care about is the "popcorn" and not a good story also essential to a good experience. IMO, this industry has become a production line for "one-time-use" entertainment. Just my two cents so I'll shut up right here without saying any more.

don't get me started on the jurassic park franchise. After the first one, they all went downhill and they're making another one, where they genetically engineer dinosaurs as weapons to destroy the other ones on the island, after repetitive attacks on surrounding areas populated by humans. (that is the actual plot)

Master

It is very sad truth. And every time I hope that we will get something new, original and with sense.... I diapoint badly. :(

Corporal Hicks

I agree somewhat. The average movie goer is really a retard. Well abouts. I've learn that from work. So they don't want complicated stuff, they want things going bang and etc. But what's worse is the fact that AvP introduced even younger retards to the franchise and they have since grown up with the type of films...and want an even violent version of AvP.

Of course, that said...I'll find out if that's what AvPR is when I watch it.

tommygun

It sells tickets and has the audience that Hollywood is courting for this type of horror...It will be around a long time, because there are a large number of directors currently enamored with it. The sad fact is that in the 60's directors who produced this type of film were labeled and ridiculed as schlockmeisters..Today's directors are hailed as being visionaries in the horror field.  We can expect Hostel 3-1074, Saw 4-5700 etc....The bottom line is that the gore/blood drenched hooror film is cheap to make and profitable for the film industry...They churn 10 of these pics out in a year or more and reap the profits from the box office and the dvd sales...So they won't be going away and the influence of these films will start to seep into other areas..it has already started with sci-fi...

Demonio Cazador

I find it funny how people complaint about the "shallowness and stupidity" of Hollywood movies, it cracks me up! ;D
With a few honorable exceptions, 95% of the movies produced by Hollywood over the years aren't exactly mindblowing. It's not like the purpose of Hollywood is to produce quality movies that make a difference in the world and make you stop and think.

There's plenty of independent/art movies that do that!  ;)

Major Alan Schaefer

Who says this can't have a voilent story? we know very little about the story yet and we alreadyy judge it i think we could be surprised and find a story of surivioal...with alot of killing

Accaris

Accaris

I think the issues Anomaly raises aren't really specific to the Aliens and Predator franchises, but more accurately reflect the status of Western media as a whole.

When I asked my best friend why he hated AVP, the first and most important thing to pop into his mind was the fact that the Predator's blades melted in the alien's acid; "that's not supposed to happen!" he said. I looked at him with a blank stare. What about the utter banality of the movie itself? What about the myriad inadequacies of its plot, production, and presentation?

We're oversocialized and overstimulated. The digital age has destroyed our attention spans and saturated us with so much fiction that every iteration is like a parody of something prior. Fantasy born from imagination doesn't exist, because our imaginations have already been pre-plotted for us. The highest quality fiction is pre-frabricated: anyone can recreate The Godfather and the masses wouldn't know the difference until some all-seeing all-knowing Website pipes up and starts an avalanche of opinion changing. Maybe we're turning into a hive mind after all? Complicated functions don't work very well with hive minds. http://www.exitmundi.nl/borg.htm

Maybe AVP:R will be a generic slasher with a big body count and no artistic merit... but isn't that what audiences want? Something to stimulate them without interfering with their conditioning? In an age where a videogame can sell a thousand times more copies than a novel, a movie on the same plane as "Alien" will barely earn enough to cover its production. Modern directors, script writers, and producers don't malevolently kill stories. They're merely acting from the foundation of their era.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I agree with what's being said, but I don't see a return of the intelligent movie. The public is a demographic, and the studio is ensuring the biggest possible return by keeping them in mind. A strong phrase might be "pandering"...it's essentially what it is no matter who says differently, but MANY people in Hollywood do it. We can blame Fox for doing this with a grin as they make cash, but it's not just Fox.

The box office proves that there is a medium for all films with the right amount of special effects, no matter how horrible. I want to get one thing off of my chest, though- I HOPE that this film is good. I'm not liking what I see in snippets, but I honestly feel you can make a big gorefest while keeping it intelligent. Ridley wanted to push the envelope with his first film...the Strause's might just be following in his steps. This doesn't have to be a bad film that just makes cash.

But, unfortunately, there will be people who just think that this and any one of these films is just good for mindless gore. Roger Ebert himself thinks that it was absurd that the Alien Queen was able to figure out how to operate an elevator. We, as the fanbase, are part of the minority who actually take notice of these films for the masterpieces that they are in their respective genres. Thus, we become the negative nancies in the room when the short attention span enticements roll around.

That is the way it will always be, and no number of Comic-Cons that Fox attends to appease us will ever change that. Those of us who appreciate these films for being more than just eye candy will always lose against the whims of an MTV-influenced public that pays for an immediate dose of excitement in the short term. For now, that's reality.

...I just hope the Strauses won't ever pull a Eli Roth no matter how ill received this is by the masses (which I hope it is not regardless of my issues with things). I'd rather not see a comment saying "...well...we're bashed for having lots of gore in this movie, but Bush gets to make wars..." Just...no. That's all I ask. Even if I can't get intelligence from the film, intelligence in the press is all I ask.

LAWNMOWERMAN

ALIENS, PREDATOR  have never been a deep characters on screen they have always been "monsters"

disipte how some have tried to change that fact

ALIEN was basically B rated monster story set in space - a monster gets onboard ship and kills crew members - nothing real deep or new about that

what made ALIEN so great wasn't really the story itself - what made ALIEN so great was how RIDLEY was able to capture the monster on screen and add out of this world FXs to a B monster flick story

ALIENS
again it was CAMERON genius to take the "action war story theme" and have it "set it in space" - add a good cast and great FX and you have your self one hell of a ride

ALIEN3 and AR tried to duplicate those formulas to a degree

PREDATOR, the THOMAS brothers took the "MAN vs THE BEAST" theme and switched it around man now became the hunted. as i have stated before PREDATOR was just another monster from outer space that would from time to time come to earth to hunt for his pleasure

the AVP film released in 04 went against the formula, it tried to "make monsters into family friendly farm animals"

ALIENS and PREDATOR will always be monsters and you will always have blood and gore there's no way getting around it

The Chibi Kiriyama

I don't have an issue at all with the blood and gore or that they're monsters. What I'm saying is that they could be so much more than that if effort was applied to really scare us in a primal way. I'm okay with heaps of organs flying about if it gets that desired effect, but not quite with the idea that the creatures should be marginalized along the way. You say that they're just monsters, but it's the fact that Ridley elevated this to a much higher level in the first film that changes things just from the origins. With Giger and Winston's additions to each creature, a level of quality was added to the depth. That's not that the depth wasn't there...any script can end up as a B monster movie. If you think otherwise, I would suggest that you look deeper into each film. Yes, even Predator, where things are a bit more complex in intention than most irate Alien fans make it out to be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed