Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce

Started by MudButt, Feb 09, 2024, 06:03:51 PM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg To Direct New Standalone ‘Predator’ Movie ‘Badlands’ As 20th Ce (Read 29,020 times)

Wweyland

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 26, 2024, 03:28:46 PMFeral has a different approach from previous Predators for sure (he's much more combative in an in your face way than the Preds in Predator and Predator 2, which liked to hang back more until they were really in the thick of it), but feels like a Predator through and through to me, just a different individual going about his hunt in his own way. Dude's a dick, he's cocky and sure of himself, he likes getting his hands dirty, and like previous Predators, when he underestimates his prey one time too many, it costs him his life.

Much agreed, but bombs the forest when he gets bored, that seems so Predator to me.

Nightmare Asylum

Feral would crack open a nice cold can of soda, plant those bombs, and run off into the woods to stab a bear or something. Good for him, living his best life for his last few days.

Enjoy

Prey is good and unique. I like that the face design is like early prototype stan came up with. The only real flaw in prey that stood out was the lack of blood in the water down stream from the bear.

Master Chief

Looking forward to Trachtenberg's new future design of the Predator. Hope the face design is dialed back a bit.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 26, 2024, 03:28:46 PMFeral has a different approach from previous Predators for sure (he's much more combative in an in your face way than the Preds in Predator and Predator 2, which liked to hang back more until they were really in the thick of it), but feels like a Predator through and through to me, just a different individual going about his hunt in his own way. Dude's a dick, he's cocky and sure of himself, he likes getting his hands dirty, and like previous Predators, when he underestimates his prey one time too many, it costs him his life.
The biggest thing lacking for me is Feral's sense of his own mortality. It's one of those things that separates Predators from other movie monsters - they clearly fear for their lives.

Normally when characters catch a monster in a trap, or wound it, it gives the humans enough time to run away. In a Predator movie, it's the opposite - the Predator runs away.

Feral just keeps going, like Jason or the Terminator or any number of damage sink movie villains.

And that's all without going into the face.

Any one of the big changes in isolation would be fine, but all together what makes the Predator more than just a high tech Jason is gone.

Master Chief

Yeah. Feral only ran when Taabe was beating him one-on-one. Dang coward avoided a good death.

Enjoy

John cena as the son of dutch seems plausible now. 

PortugueseXeno

PortugueseXeno

Quote from: SiL on Feb 26, 2024, 08:59:53 PM
The biggest thing lacking for me is Feral's sense of his own mortality. It's one of those things that separates Predators from other movie monsters - they clearly fear for their lives.

Normally when characters catch a monster in a trap, or wound it, it gives the humans enough time to run away. In a Predator movie, it's the opposite - the Predator runs away.

Feral just keeps going, like Jason or the Terminator or any number of damage sink movie villains.

And that's all without going into the face.

Any one of the big changes in isolation would be fine, but all together what makes the Predator more than just a high tech Jason is gone.

Well, i don't know if that is really fair.

We did see Feral temporarily run away from Taabe after he got humilliated by him in a fair one-on-one.

We also saw Feral take a break (after killing the French) and heal his wounds.

Yes, he was a little more reckless than most Predators, but i think it was because this was his first hunt.

The Predators are not a Hive like Xeno, so i still think that it is important for each Predator to have some unique personality trait.

The Feral Predator was a Yautja that liked to get his hands dirty and to engage in physical close combat, getting more confident and cockier as he climbed the ladder of the food chain.

SiL

Sure, but his body language is also more monstrous than most Predators. He has a tendency to just walk up to enemies rather than attack from a vantage point. And then there's his face.

No single change is an issue, and no single change is inexplicable.

But combined, the final result is something that feels more like a high tech Jason than a Predator. That might be a perfectly valid thing for a Predator to be, but to me, it's not what I'm here for.

Is the same to me as the AvPR Aliens compared to the originals. Sure they run on walls and ambush and what have you, but watch that movie side by side with the originals and tell me you don't see a remarkable difference.

BigDaddyJohn

I guess in the first third/half of the movie, he does predator-like things, as observing environment, attacking the bully guy from a vantage point (just one time though). But overall that feels light compared to his gladiator-like behavior after that.

It wasn't enough for me, although I found him quite entertaining to watch.

SiL

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 27, 2024, 12:43:45 PMalthough I found him quite entertaining to watch.
Yeah, him tearing through the trappers is fun for sure.

426Buddy

Loved the movie, loved Feral, and hate the face.

Hate may be a bit strong. But I don't like it and it hasn't really grown on me. Hoping that Dan goes in a different direction with the face for the sequels.

Nightmare Asylum

If nothing else, the seemingly-inevitable return of Greyback in the Prey followup will likely see a return to a more classic face design, given that he already has an established look.

I do like Feral's face, though. Wouldn't want every Predator to look like him, but, as an individual, I think it works for this particular guy.

Wweyland

Bring in Shaman with the skull mask and connect him to Feral

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed