Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Started by ace3g, Sep 29, 2022, 10:24:45 PM

Author
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (Read 4,464 times)

KiramidHead

It's kind of terrible.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 07, 2024, 10:18:41 PMIt's kind of terrible.

I'm still hung up on all the LotR names that are inexplicably used.

KiramidHead

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 07, 2024, 10:19:35 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on May 07, 2024, 10:18:41 PMIt's kind of terrible.

I'm still hung up on all the LotR names that are inexplicably used.

Oh that is ridiculous, on top of the genetic time travel... thing.

Nightmare Asylum

Really, really liked this. Inexplicable how consistently good (and relevant) this franchise continues to be, nearly sixty years out from its original release.

T Dog

T Dog

I think Dawn is one of the best big budget mainstream movies ever made, how does it compare to that?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: T Dog on May 10, 2024, 11:40:29 AMI think Dawn is one of the best big budget mainstream movies ever made, how does it compare to that?

(Note: I say this from the POV of being a person that likes War a bit more than Dawn, I think. But Dawn rocks!)

I guess if I were to rank the new series, I'd say this is probably a bit above Rise, a bit below the Reeves ones. But that's all pretty malleable/subject to change, and what I really love here the way Kingdom marries the sensibilities of the recent trilogy with the more expanded post-human world of the original movies (I've always adored the original five film run), and charts a pretty clear path from one body of films to the other in terms of the Apes' societies (emphasis on the plural form of the word there) and their relationship with what humans used to be which we know, eventually, will evolve into them forgetting what humans ever were (yes, I know the original films and the current ones are not in the same continuity, but it still feels like these movies are building towards roughly that same endgame result that was the Ape culture in the 1968 film). And on the topic of varying degrees of remembering and forgetting what once was, I really like the way that Caesar's legacy runs through this outing as a series of competing myths about who he was, what lessons he imparted, and what his actions ~300 years ago mean for Apes (and humans) at large now, so far removed from direct, in-the-moment impact his actions. His presence looms pretty heavily here, though the new characters are all pretty standout as well, some totally outside of Caesar's shadow, and others very directly taking cover within it.

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/TheSpaceshipper/status/1789280130793197655

If they manage to keep the quality up, I can see this playing very well. The Caesar trilogy is more or less a loose remake of the latter movies from the original series, Kingdom opens the door for a very interesting bridge story a few hundred years later in which the shadow of the old world, humanity and their abandoned, grown over cities, and Caesar's legacy still looms large, and a third trilogy would be, I guess, more or less a riff on the era of the first two movies in the original series, set a couple thousand years in the future with no trace of sentient human history existing except within the Forbidden Zone, until some visitors from space come crashing down...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Very much enjoyed this. It's not quite as good as Dawn and War, but above Rise for me. And I'm very curious as to where this will go.

My overall franchise ranking for context:

Spoiler
[close]

Kingdom has potential to move up on future viewings.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed