Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 79,258 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Just reread Marvel's press release and missed the first time around that the Alien piece is actually being referred to a cover. The Predator one, on the other hand, is just a teaser. So I guess, whatever the initial Alien comic run is, that's the cover for issue 1? If that's reflective of the interior artwork, then I guess the first run will have a proper "Big Chap" right off the bat, which is interesting.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jul 02, 2020, 11:41:09 PM
But damm holy shit let me bring back an oldie clip from years go, Predator vs Wolverine, who knew that this can actually be a possible thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3wDj7bYve0

It would be something, wouldn't it.

QuoteIn all honestly though, this road is shrouded in demoralizing unknowns and I have no idea where it will take us but I do hope it might be something good for us all.

Hear! Hear!

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 11:44:15 PM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 02, 2020, 11:40:26 PM
Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Jul 02, 2020, 11:38:29 PM
Neca guys, surely this takeover complicates it for them?

I don't know why it would. This would affect Darkhorse but I don't see how or why it would affect Neca who does the toys. They might stop putting bios on the back of the Predator toys but I don't see how this would affect production.

The only thing I can imagine it affecting on Neca's end is the Kenner remakes, since those ship with reprints of the Dark Horse-labeled mini comics, don't they?

The question is will Marvel want to stick with Neca, or do they have closer relationships with other toy companies that will supercede.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 02, 2020, 11:58:16 PM
The question is will Marvel want to stick with Neca, or do they have closer relationships with other toy companies that will supercede.

I think that's more of a Disney/20th Century Studios decision than it is a Marvel one.

SuperiorIronman

Marvel goes through Hasbro which is outside Predator's demographic. I just don't know why Marvel or Disney would change things like that. Comics it's understandable given Disney has it's own comic company. But I just don't see them doing anything to Neca.

JungleHunter87

Wow. Truly the end of an era for sure. I'll play the wait and see approach to Marvel's take on all three series.

Still. I'm gonna miss seeing that black horse head in the corner. :'(

EVILthePREDATOR

EVILthePREDATOR

@Voodoo magic. Spot on bro. That's exactly what I meant.

To everyone else I disagree, neca have made very limited marvel licensed marvel figures. But it's very few and far between. Which would indicate that neca have a hard time getting licenses from marvel. Now my point here is marvel have a very good relationship with hasbro currently.

Their marvel legends line is pretty much about making figures from marvel comics. Seeing as AvP is now a marvel print. I don't think it's totally out of the question that marvel would want to bring them to marvel legends in some form. Whilst I'm not saying this will be immediate, I wouldn't completely rule that out. Especially when theirs lots of money to be made.

Sorry for the dodgy grammar by the way it's really late right now and I'm super tired haha 😂

SuperiorIronman

I don't see it right now but maybe. The issue for me is that demographics and scaling of figures is certainly off. But man I don't know..., I actually can kind of see that. Like if Hasbro ends up doing a Predator run it would be kind of surreal.

That being said a video-game just came out (and I presume did well), the comics shifted over to Marvel, but if a toy-line came out from Hasbro I'd be almost convinced another movie was in production or Predator will cameo in something.

SM

Quote from: T Dog on Jul 02, 2020, 10:54:04 PM
Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2020, 10:46:05 PM
No I don't believe DH will be able to reprint their old stuff.  They can't reprint their old SW stuff.
Crap! I missed out on Aliens Omnibus 4 and was hoping to get those stories in a future  Essentials Collection.

I've been meaning to buy digital versions of the Omnibuses for a while. For the some reason the prices vary wildly from volume to volume.

EVILthePREDATOR

@ SuperiorIronman

Yeah it definitely won't happen this year. But I think if the AvP line does well and becomes a big hit for marvel. They almost certainly will want to capitalise on that success in the form of figures. Let's not forget that there's serious money involved when it comes to predator figures. They sell extremely well. And if the comics were doing well for marvel, it makes total sense that they would want to include them in their own line of figures.

I personally however really hope that doesn't happen. One because the quality of the figures will not be what neca can deliver on. And secondly I think it would be a great shame for neca seeing as predator is it's oldest running line of figures since the company was founded. 

Immortan Jonesy

Even if Hasbro makes Alien toys for kids (twose already exists though, isn't it?), no one forces me to buy them. I can't be hyperbolic about it. But I empathize with the odd feeling.  :laugh:

426Buddy

I'm glad I have just about every release from Dark Horse, if they're going to get more rare I better get moving on the last of the stuff

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Jul 03, 2020, 12:31:52 AM
@ SuperiorIronman

Yeah it definitely won't happen this year. But I think if the AvP line does well and becomes a big hit for marvel. They almost certainly will want to capitalise on that success in the form of figures. Let's not forget that there's serious money involved when it comes to predator figures. They sell extremely well. And if the comics were doing well for marvel, it makes total sense that they would want to include them in their own line of figures.

I personally however really hope that doesn't happen. One because the quality of the figures will not be what neca can deliver on. And secondly I think it would be a great shame for neca seeing as predator is it's oldest running line of figures since the company was founded.

What seems more likely to me is that if Hasbro got the license they're likely not doing figures. Demographics and scale are way off and parents will run into a fit if the kids stab themselves on something pointy, something that Predators are equipped with by default. I know Hasbro has a few pointy items (Star Wars toys certainly do) but with Predator it's on a different level. What I can see them doing though is producing items based around the films much in the same way they do the Black Series helmets for Star Wars.

That's really where Neca doesn't have anything going for them and the higher end items from Hot Toys cost out the nose. So what I can see happening is them producing helmets or gauntlets for the older collector who can drop around 100 dollars. Something like a Predator helmet that has light-up tri-lasers and eyes, or something like a silly string shooter that looks like the net-gun. I don't see figures necessarily but if Hasbro does anything I'd almost expect them to do that.

EVILthePREDATOR

@SuperiorIronman

Very plausible bro.

Especially the Star Wars black line example you made.

We will have to see. But if I was Neca Toys right now I'd be very nervous indeed about the future.

Xeno Runner

Absolutely gutted by the news  :-[ . For perspective: I was a huge Star Wars comic book fan back when Dark Horse held the license thanks to the fantastic quality of their Star Wars stories. I was disappointed, yet cautiously optimistic, when Marvel took over the Star Wars license. I am sad to say that 95% or more of the Marvel Star Wars comics are bland at best, and pale in comparison to what Dark Horse did. Based on this experience I have very little faith that the Alien and Predator comics by Marvel will be any good. Sure, not everything Dark Horse published was great, but I won't hold my breath to see Marvel achieve something as good as Dark Horse. 

I hate that I have to say goodbye to Dark Horse for the second time in 6 years (the first being in 2014 when they lost Star Wars)... Thank you Dark Horse for the great Alien comics you published. I will always cherish your contributions to the wonderful universe of the Alien franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed