Alien 3 original screenplay & EU

Started by EJA, Apr 05, 2020, 02:59:57 PM

Author
Alien 3 original screenplay & EU (Read 3,358 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 24, 2020, 12:40:54 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 08:09:00 AM
Would Ripley and Hankerson even know where Newt and Hicks are?  One's on the Sulaco and the other is on Anchorpoint and later on the Kansas City.

And even if Hankerson did find Hicks, Hicks could just tell him where to go.

I guess the more important question would be, would Ripley know for sure?

She wouldn't know anything at all. Last thing she'd probably remember is leaving LV-426.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 09:32:49 PM
Quote from: SpaceKase on Apr 24, 2020, 12:40:54 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 08:09:00 AM
Would Ripley and Hankerson even know where Newt and Hicks are?  One's on the Sulaco and the other is on Anchorpoint and later on the Kansas City.

And even if Hankerson did find Hicks, Hicks could just tell him where to go.

I guess the more important question would be, would Ripley know for sure?

She wouldn't know anything at all. Last thing she'd probably remember is leaving LV-426.

Exactly, so she'd have zero reason not to take his threats at face value. Hankerson and his backers hold all the cards regarding her loved ones as far as she's aware. She'd be as clueless and powerless as she was when she first woke up in that hospital bed on Gateway.

SM

SM

How can Hankerson viably threaten Hicks and Newt if he doesn't know where they are?

Local Trouble

I can only assume he means that Hankerson could try bluffing if he was able to keep her isolated and uninformed.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Apr 25, 2020, 08:43:07 AM
How can Hankerson viably threaten Hicks and Newt if he doesn't know where they are?
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 25, 2020, 10:18:00 AM
I can only assume he means that Hankerson could try bluffing if he was able to keep her isolated and uninformed.

Precisely! As SM said, Ripley gets her happy ending at the end of Aliens with her new surrogate family, then she's woken up by this military stooge in the Company's pocket with her family nowhere to be seen, and he's telling her that they're going back to Acheron and he's going to have a guide, if not her then he can always get the corporal or the little girl instead. She would have every reason to believe he could back up that threat and zero reason not to. How would she know any different? It's just like Rollins threatening Alan Decker's kids in Sea of Sorrows, she doesn't need the kids in the room to get her point across, she just needs to flex her figurative muscle to get Decker into line.

That being said, in WG's Alien 3, the Company as represented through Wells and Fox has orchestrated the entire Sulaco UPP territorial violation in the first place so it's fully on record where Newt currently is and where Hicks last was. It wouldn't be hard to find out that the only survivors of the Anchorpoint and Rodina stations were recovered by the colony ship Kansas City. In fact, by three days later, I'd wager to say it would be an international incident, but that's another story altogether. Suffice it to say, Hankerson would have every incentive to control any and all information access aboard his ship and with his crew, given the shady nature of his mission they'd likely be on silent running, Ripley would have no way of knowing anything else and after Burke, every reason to believe the Company would stoop so low. Especially after finding out that the Company had Kane's helmet footage all along and has been railroading her from the start.

Fun and nerdy speculations aside, I hope you guys are safe and healthy down under there, or wherever you may be. I can only assume you are all sheltered in place like we are up here in Northern Cali. Global pandemics ftw  :-\  ::sad tromboone:: latest word up here is that our corona death toll has surpassed 50,000 now. Here in Sonoma County we've taken to collectively howling like coyotes every night at 8pm to kind of connect with our friends and neighbors who we're not allowed to visit and mingle with. Hug your kids tight, y'all.

Local Trouble

How would Bishop's complete absence from the EU be explained?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 25, 2020, 10:45:47 PM
How would Bishop's complete absence from the EU be explained?

That's a trickier one, in ALIEN³, of course, Ripley respects Bishop's wishes and deactivates him. In the ADF novel Ripley does not intend to respect his wishes and has plans to save his memory somehow, and he's left in a state of digital 'gumbo' (rumor has it that's what synths call limbo) ::smh:: . In William Gibson's Alien III the last we see of him is on the escape ship getting picked up by the Kansas city. In the CMTM I think it's implied that his remains were recovered and his memories are retrieved by WY but his further whereabouts are left unknown. Verheiden's stories make no mention of him in either the Newt and Hicks variation or the Billie and Wilks variation in which he had no analogous character mentioned from the so-called 'Rim' mission. Presumably his fate in Colonial Marines and its dlc is the same as ALIEN³, though it's possible the team from the Patna retrieved his remains from Fury, or they left them behind like the ashes of Newt, Ripley, and Turk. Or hell, if he was left on the scrap heap it's even possible his remains were recovered by the doomed agents of the Jǐngtì Lóng Corporation in 2189.

The rights of personhood for synthetics seems to vary over the years, though in WG's Alien III it's claimed they are regarded as people, at least in early 2183 outside of the UPP, but one can only imagine what legal loopholes or outright violations of civil rights could have been carried out upon him if he did return to civilization.

EJA

EJA

2183? So Gibson's story takes place four years after ALIENS?

Would ALIENS VERSUS PREDATOR: PREY and the prose novel sequel HUNTER'S PLANET still be viable in this continuity?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: EJA on Apr 29, 2020, 12:27:42 PM
2183? So Gibson's story takes place four years after ALIENS?

Would ALIENS VERSUS PREDATOR: PREY and the prose novel sequel HUNTER'S PLANET still be viable in this continuity?

Re 2183: Very odd, right? It makes one wonder...

Re AvP novels: Sure, why not? It's been ages since I read hunters planet, so I don't remember a thing about it, but Prey, like the comics it's based on, should take place around 2191. It's time period is left deliberately vague, but if you work out the continuity, it's more or less going on the same time as Earth Hive/Outbreak/Aliens: Book One. Conveniently it's all taking place in Albireo, pretty far from Earth and the core systems.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

What is Albireo?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 29, 2020, 11:25:44 PM
What is Albireo?

"refers to a time when one group controlled every aspect of the drug trade"

Or

Very very white Oreos.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 29, 2020, 11:41:42 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 29, 2020, 11:25:44 PM
What is Albireo?

"refers to a time when one group controlled every aspect of the drug trade"

Or

Very very white Oreos.

Hahahaha, too good.  :D 

But for real, back in the 80's we thought Beta Cygni (a gorgeous pair of stars if you've got a telescope btw) was a binary star system, we know a bit more now and we've since discovered they're only an optical binary and in reality are potentially almost as far away from eachother as we are from Zeta Reticuli. The large orange-ish star in the pair, or "Big Cygni" as they call it in the comic is also named Albireo, the blue-ish star Beta Cygni B, or "Little Cygni" is smaller, further away and much hotter, it's also called 6 Cygni. If given a choice that would allow both stars to be bright in Ryushi's sky, I chose Albireo as the most likely candidate. Interestingly, depending on which part of the Ryushi year it happens to be, the stars would appear together in the sky during the day, or the stars would alternate with Big Cyg on the day side and little cygni on the night side. Kinda like the unnamed world seen in the confusingly named series Aliens: Alien.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Oh so it's just the given name of the real life star system that Ryushi occupies? I was afraid we had another "Calpamos".

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 30, 2020, 05:12:03 AM
Oh so it's just the given name of the real life star system that Ryushi occupies? I was afraid we had another "Calpamos".

Ahh well, yes and no, Ryushi is in the Beta Cygni system, at the time the story was written it was thought to be a single binary system, Beta Cygni A "Big Cygni", and Beta Cygni B, "Little Cygni". We now know them to be quite far removed from each other, by like 35 lightyears. So I just specify Albireo (Beta1 Cygni) as the star around which Ryushi orbits to clarify its singular distinction from the old thought of them being both together in a single binary system collectively called "Beta Cygni". We now refer to them as β¹ Cygni and β² Cygni. Clear as mud, right?

I'm still so curious where the name Calpamos actually originated, who and when was it first called this?

EJA

EJA

So where does it say it's four years after ALIENS (The original Gibson treatment, I mean)?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed