Expanded Universe

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Jul 12, 2019, 11:11:58 PM

What are your thoughts on the EU as a whole?

It's awesome
4 (10%)
It's mostly good
11 (27.5%)
It's got good and bad
22 (55%)
I don't like much of it
3 (7.5%)
I hate all of it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Expanded Universe (Read 8,263 times)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

I've always had a soft spot for the film-Maybe because I like a lot of other panned movies (Godzilla 1998, Star Wars Prequels, etc; Granted, the former has its fans and the concept has been severely reworked into something actually good in recent years and some would argue the latter isn't as bad as the current movies, which for me is neither here nor there) but I could always watch Aliens: Resurrection for a silly Sci-Fi flick that seems to have decided 'f**k it, this whole series is about giant penis-bug-lizard things, let's just have some f**king fun'. Granted, it's still kinda trash and it could have been done WAY better but it's trash I can enjoy regardless.

SM

SM

It was cut from the Theatrical and Re-inserted to the Special Edition.  JPJ says the theatrical version is the directors cut.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

I have also just found out about these Xenomorph Synthetics-And I know how stupid and silly it is but I am already in love with the concept if only because it's a Xenomorph Robot smoking while holding a gun. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/9/9d/Aliensstronghold3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060818214652 https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/d/d9/Jerigun.png/revision/latest?cb=20131214182306 https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/avp/images/3/3b/Jeri.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180829084411

SM

SM

Stronghold is a great series.

SiL

SiL

Stronghold is fun. The Aliens themselves play second fiddle to the rest of the plot, but Jerri is great.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jul 22, 2019, 07:43:00 AM
Stronghold is fun. The Aliens themselves play second fiddle to the rest of the plot, but Jerri is great.

It also focused on the idea of synthetics as second-class citizens a decade and a half before Prometheus was a twinkle in Ridley Scott's eye.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Jul 22, 2019, 02:31:01 AM
It was cut from the Theatrical and Re-inserted to the Special Edition.  JPJ says the theatrical version is the directors cut.
Thank goodness!

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Stronghold is underrated fun.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Although I think Deans' design goes waaaaaaay too far into iron man territory, the underlying concept makes more sense than the vidya versions of combat synths ever has.

The Old One

The Old One

Stronghold, Music of the Spears and Apocalypse great stuff, none exactly appropriate for the Alien Universe.
The last particularly for it's Space Jockey depiction.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The EU always had the SJ as more fleshy than they were supposed to be.

I loved the artwork in Apoc but not much else honestly.  It was ok, but not great. 

I actually think MOTS is the best Alien story out of those three, but the novel did it much better than the comic.   Kind of like Berserker.  Both were better than their comic versions imo. 

Still Ninjas don't belong in the Alien universe. 

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed, the EU's depiction is always fleshy, bipedal and with humanised personality. No thank you.
I want my Space Jockey biomechanical, other and nearly extinct. And agreed regarding Apocalypse, I mainly added it because I know a number of people regard it highly conceptually speaking but I also think it's art far outdoes it's story.

& Agreed regarding the last point, in the context of a Alien story anyway- Predator? Sure.

SM

SM

Apocalypse was a pretty decent take on Heart of Dakrness.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I always loved Music of the Spears. Took me years to find the Fourth issue lol

AVP Duel is another i have a soft spot for

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

My favs of the 90s are:

1. The original 6 issue AVP
2. Salvation
3. Apocalypse
4. Rogue
5. Labyrinth

Side note: I absolutely love the artwork on Nightmare Asylum but I find Verheiden's writing to be a tad cheesy.

Least favorite: Kidnapped

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed