What's up with Katherine Waterston?

Started by Nostromo, Jun 21, 2019, 09:58:13 PM

Author
What's up with Katherine Waterston? (Read 3,442 times)

Nostromo

Nostromo

Any word if Daniels will be around for a sequel? She's great man, some of the dialogue and story she was given were not her fault. She'd have made a great Amanda too...

BTW, wish this would have been the main poster, nice Alien head at least. Daniels though, she's really growing on me, a superb actress for an Alien movie.

SM

SM

Good actress.  Less than developed character.

Samhain13

That depends on exactly how much Ridley is into having David kill lead characters.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 21, 2019, 09:58:13 PM
Any word if Daniels will be around for a sequel? She's great man, some of the dialogue and story she was given were not her fault. She'd have made a great Amanda too...

BTW, wish this would have been the main poster, nice Alien head at least. Daniels though, she's really growing on me, a superb actress for an Alien movie.

https://i.postimg.cc/434Jv8Wm/MV5-BMm-Vj-YTRi-YWUt-ZTE3-My00-ZGMz-LWEz-NDct-Y2-Nm-ZTY1-YWM3-MWE3-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde.jpg

I'm certain she would make herself available if another prequel was greenlit and Riddles doesn't kill her character off screen.

But to me she's no Ripley. She's not even Shaw. Waterson just doesn't have the gravitas and on-screen presence to carry these movies as a lead.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I thought Daniels was far better than Shaw even if Rapace is probably a better actress.

I find Shaw pretty annoying

Evanus

I didn't think her character was that strong but I'm starting to want more of her... I'm so desperate for a sequel.  :P

Nostromo

Nostromo

I really liked Shaw as a Scientist/Archeologist. We need more scientists/explorer types! :) Great thinking there by Fox & Scott, we're lucky to have gotten Shaw. Another great choice.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 21, 2019, 10:20:54 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/434Jv8Wm/MV5-BMm-Vj-YTRi-YWUt-ZTE3-My00-ZGMz-LWEz-NDct-Y2-Nm-ZTY1-YWM3-MWE3-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde.jpg

I'm certain she would make herself available if another prequel was greenlit and Riddles doesn't kill her character off screen.

But to me she's no Ripley. She's not even Shaw. Waterson just doesn't have the gravitas and on-screen presence to carry these movies as a lead.

We need to match her up with a Davis type of synth that goes in by the company and saves her..ha...Hopefully she'd manage to escape on her own somehow. I'd like to see her back for sure though.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZmM4OWIyNTQtNzcwYi00YmUxLTliOTUtNTJmMWM1MGYyMTg3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDkzNTM2ODg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,668,1000_AL_.jpg

Definitely too much stoopid type of slime coming down off the Alien's face here though...If you're not gonna do slime exactly as in the Brett Alien scene, don't bother....still the best slime effect after 40 years.

Immortan Jonesy

Daniels: Shaw dind't die in the crash.

David: No.

Daniels: What did you do to her?

David: Exactly what I'm going to do to you.

Kimarhi

I think Waterston would be just fine given more films to develop her character in. 

I mean, Sigourney didnt really carry Alien, she might've carried the last twenty minutes.  By Alien 3, she had found her niche as Ripley and chewed the movie up.  It was elevated by her performance.   She just got to get them REPS in. 

FenGiddel

I like that Daniels's first reaction was to draw down on David. Just a little slow, though.

SM

SM

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 22, 2019, 01:44:59 AM
I think Waterston would be just fine given more films to develop her character in. 

I mean, Sigourney didnt really carry Alien, she might've carried the last twenty minutes.  By Alien 3, she had found her niche as Ripley and chewed the movie up.  It was elevated by her performance.   She just got to get them REPS in.

Ripley wasn't painted as the hero in Alien though until the last half hour.  Daniels clearly is from the opening minutes.

Shaw had more to do in Prometheus.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Jun 22, 2019, 03:45:47 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 22, 2019, 01:44:59 AM

Ripley wasn't painted as the hero in Alien though until the last half hour.  Daniels clearly is from the opening minutes.

Shaw had more to do in Prometheus.

That's one of the things I love about Alien and makes the Nostromo even more similar to a haunted house in space. One could have thought that someone like Dallas would be the hero. But no, they started dying one by one until we were left with the last survivor. Fuel for tension without doubts.

On the other hand, everything revolves around Daniels and her tragedy before landing on Planet 4. It's pretty clear from the start that she was supposed to be your traditional heroin starting her hero journey, and not the final girl that was Ripley.

Anyway, I don't find the character interesting. I like Waterston, but I prefer other characters from her career. I just hope that Ridley can get the best out of the actress in a next installment

SM

SM

I like Daniels and Waterston - but she has no arc.  She's much the same at the end as she is at the start.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 22, 2019, 04:25:27 AM

That's one of the things I love about Alien and makes the Nostromo even more similar to a haunted house in space. One could have thought that someone like Dallas would be the hero. But no, they started dying one by one until we were left with the last survivor. Fuel for tension without doubts.

On the other hand, everything revolves around Daniels and her tragedy before landing on Planet 4. It's pretty clear from the start that she was supposed to be your traditional heroin starting her hero journey, and not the final girl that was Ripley.

So true.

Daniels: I mean we don't know what the f**ks out there.

Still Collating...

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 21, 2019, 10:31:39 PM
I thought Daniels was far better than Shaw even if Rapace is probably a better actress.

I find Shaw pretty annoying

My thoughts exactly.

I still though would be very surprised if we see Daniels again. Ridley's focus is David, and he has shown he likes killing off his earlier protagonists...  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed