Are Lambert and Ripley a reasonable ship?

Started by corn_bread937, Jun 06, 2019, 11:33:52 PM

Author
Are Lambert and Ripley a reasonable ship? (Read 8,493 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Jun 09, 2019, 02:23:34 AM
Quote from: Naginata on Jun 09, 2019, 01:57:32 AM
Quote from: FenGiddel on Jun 08, 2019, 10:26:28 PM
@Naginata. Not when taken in the context of SM's comment above.

Lesbianism - women attracted to other women - has indeed been around for a long, looooong time. What does that have to do with "defining someone solely by their sexuality?"

I think it may be to do with LGBTI people being less afraid of identifying as such these days, as society has changed to be more tolerant.

Pretty much. There's not really more or less of any given kinda person, it's just that certain people are more visible now than in the past.

Naginata

^ Thankfully, yes.

But on to the far more important subject at hand: No, no they are not a reasonable ship. Pairing? Sure. Full-on ship? God, no. If what Ridley Scott said on the commentary is true, people are a lot more flexible with their sexuality by the time of Alien, so casual hook-ups between shipmates shouldn't be read into too much.

SM

Yep.  When Ripley goes to Dallas - it's for "relief".

FenGiddel

That scene did help define the shipboard life, dinnit?

Naginata

Little details like this are some of my favorite things about the Alien-verse; it's such a well-drawn world.

Local Trouble

I imagine it would have to be mutually consensual.  In other words, Dallas couldn't do the same thing to Ripley and just assume that she's obligated to comply.

The Old One

The Old One

Obviously or working relationships wouldn't last long.

Local Trouble

In fact, someone like Dallas shouldn't even broach the topic with a subordinate.  I don't see how this sort of arrangement could be sustainable without turning into a shit show like we have nowadays, unless gender politics have radically changed for the better (or worse, depending on your point of view).

Naginata

It's not better or worse, just different.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That implies things have changed which brings me right back to what I said before.  Hell, maybe it's like this...

Valaquen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 09, 2019, 03:37:34 PM
In fact, someone like Dallas shouldn't even broach the topic with a subordinate.

The captain sleeping with one of the offices is bad practice, but it illustrates very well how much the people on the ship don't like one another and are split into factions.

Local Trouble

I wonder if Parker was hinting at a hookup with Lambert when he said he'd rather be eating something else.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 09, 2019, 06:01:58 PM
I wonder if Parker was hinting at a hookup with Lambert when he said he'd rather be eating something else.

In the novelization its said Brett and Parker are into her but she is not interested.

Local Trouble

No relief for them, I guess.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 09, 2019, 06:01:58 PM

That was my takeaway from that dialogue. Thought it seemed rather overt.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed