Chernobyl (2019) HBO

Started by Ingwar, May 24, 2019, 08:32:27 PM

Author
Chernobyl (2019) HBO (Read 4,911 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

The top-rated show on IMDB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9APLXM9Ei8

The cast is led by Jared Harris (The Expanse, The Terror) and Emily Watson (Red Dragon) and Stellan Skarsgard (Pirates of the Caribbean, upcoming Dune).

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

I watched this the other night. A reminder of how truly horrific that tragic event was. I also recently watched a documentary on Chernobyl on CuriosityStream I found more enlightening, offering computer graphic reenactments how the tragedy came about. There were heroes who sacrificed their lives knowing they were going on a suicide mission to save thousands.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

"Resettlement of areas from which people were relocated is ongoing. In 2011 Chernobyl was officially declared a tourist attraction.".... world-nuclear.org.

Riiiiiiiight. Vacationing at a nuclear reactor disaster is on my bucket list before I die. Lucky me.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Be sure to visit the Elephant's Foot and take a selfie with it.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Such a bizarre direction for Russia to take.

The U.S. tourist attractions include the Disneyland amusement parks.
U.K.'s tourist attractions include the Tower of London and various theme parks.
Russia's tourist attractions include........a radiated nuclear reactor disaster........heh, I would love to take a gander at that tourist brochure.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I wouldn't mind doing it wearing biohazard suit.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Heh, no kidding.

Any country's tourist brochure that may include the warning, "Rest assure, there is no chance tourists will be exposed to deadly radiation, if you happen to die of cancer ten years later, we will consider it totally unrelated to your visit here and accept no responsibility," should have been a red flag when brainstorming this cockamamie ideal to convert a location that caused people to melt from the inside out, into a tourist attraction.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 30, 2019, 12:58:16 PM
Ukraine.

There are safe places to walk through the infected zone. Guided tours walk you where there's little to no radiation -- or at least within safe limits. As the radiation gradually dissipates, more areas open up for exploration.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 30, 2019, 10:23:51 PM
... convert a location that caused people to melt from the inside out, into a tourist attraction.
Like you can visit the site where the Hiroshima bomb detonated?

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SiL on May 30, 2019, 11:12:15 PM
... convert a location that caused people to melt from the inside out, into a tourist attraction.

Could you please stop partially quoting me, Sil? Different parts of my comment do not exist independently, they were a coherent thought. Taking out part of it and focusing on another part is disingenuous to what I was saying.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Ingwar on May 24, 2019, 08:32:27 PM
The top-rated show on IMDB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9APLXM9Ei8

The cast is led by Jared Harris (The Expanse, The Terror) and Emily Watson (Red Dragon) and Stellan Skarsgard (Pirates of the Caribbean, upcoming Dune).

Looks good.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 31, 2019, 12:22:11 AM
Could you please stop partially quoting me, Sil? Different parts of my comment do not exist independently, they were a coherent thought. Taking out part of it and focusing on another part is disingenuous to what I was saying.
Except I'm not being disingenuous to what you were saying. When you were partially quoting me, you were making it sound like I agreed with something I didn't. You changed the meaning of what I was actually saying by removing half of my post.

I cut your post down for the sake of brevity, but didn't change your meaning. Let me demonstrate:

Heh, no kidding.

Any country's tourist brochure that may include the warning, "Rest assure, there is no chance tourists will be exposed to deadly radiation, if you happen to die of cancer ten years later, we will consider it totally unrelated to your visit here and accept no responsibility," should have been a red flag when brainstorming this cockamamie ideal to convert a location that caused people to melt from the inside out, into a tourist attraction.

Hey look! You were still saying the same thing and my response still made perfect sense.

Why you continue to have such an antisocial attitude with people despite repeated warnings is beyond me.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SiL on May 31, 2019, 01:28:05 AM
Except I'm not being disingenuous to what you were saying. When you were partially quoting me, you were making it sound like I agreed with something I didn't. You changed the meaning of what I was actually saying by removing half of my post.

Yes, I felt you were being disingenuous. In no way in my entire comment was it my intent questioning whether someone "can" or "cannot" access those sites. By cherry picking my comment, you were manipulating my intent so it allowed you to respond, but you can visit those type of sites, like Hiroshoma. My intent, as I clearly stated at the beginning, is I personally find it bizarre such type of sites are tourist attractions. .....not whether they exist.

When you requested I refrain from partially quoting you because you felt I was manipulating your intent, I complied and committed to omit any reference to you moving forward. I feel you were manipulating my intent and I'm asking the same of you.

Quote from: SiL on May 31, 2019, 01:28:05 AM
Why you continue to have such an antisocial attitude with people despite repeated warnings is beyond me.

Once again, you choose to exacerbate a flow of conversation with misinformation rather than taking a more amiable tone. There are countless members, you can snoop through my post history, to see I have a continued mutual respect exchange. It's only an isolated few, like you, who approach me with an air of hostility, is where confrontations have surfaced.

I'm sorry you feel the need to cling onto your bitter feelings towards me for so long, but just let it go, Sil.

Just let it go.

Highland

Highland

mmm, I think it would be really awesome to see a deserted City left alone for years, in fact I can't think of many things more interesting than that if we are talking about tourist attractions. Disaster aside an all that.

The show is really good, I love old things, I could watch anything set in the 80's.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Highland on May 31, 2019, 12:09:06 PM
mmm, I think it would be really awesome to see a deserted City left alone for years, in fact I can't think of many things more interesting than that if we are talking about tourist attractions. Disaster aside an all that.

The show is really good, I love old things, I could watch anything set in the 80's.

Sure, that type of attraction I don't find bizarre. The world is full of them, the ancient ruins of the Roman city being one of the most well known examples, and Machu Picchu in Peru.

What I find bizarre about the Chernobyl tourist attraction is just four years ago, long after it was officially declared a "tourist attraction," a massive forest fire was threatening to spread into the Red Forest, which remains one of the most contaminated areas in the world today, surrounding Chernobyl power plant and it would release radiated particles into the air. Wouldn't that be a lovely experience while you just so happen to be visiting the Chernobyl "tourist attraction."

Not to mention if you did decide to visit this bizarre attraction, you wouldn't even get to see the power plant. It's encased in a massive structure of stone or metal, I don't know which. Only thing left to tour is the surrounding abandoned cities and villages. Which you can pretty much see the same thing if you just simply drive into any large metropolis and tour through their inner-city blight riddled with dilapidated buildings and nature slowly taking over abandoned residential/commercial districts.

On a more positive note, that documentary I watch showed how the disaster has created fascinating anomalies in nature over the years, but I'm good with watching that thousands a miles a way on video, I have no burning desire to see that first hand, especially considering the buried in sand radiated trees of the Red Forest are feared to release radiated particles into the natural water ways through their slow process of decay.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on May 30, 2019, 11:12:15 PM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 30, 2019, 12:58:16 PM
Ukraine.

Yep. For us it still like a national tragedy. And its influence on healt of people will remain for many MANY decades.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed