What format do you watch Alien in?

Started by LastSurvivor92, May 23, 2019, 07:40:53 PM

What format do you enjoy watching Alien in the most?

VHS/Laserdisc
DVD
Blu-ray
4K HDR
Author
What format do you watch Alien in? (Read 1,993 times)

LastSurvivor92

Blu-ray for me mainly cause I appreciate the original 2003 directors cut on that version. The 4K one looks fantastic and I'm curious who still uses VHS to watch Alien?  :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

The Blu-ray Anthology.

My Director's Cut VHS tapes were accidentally included in a charity donation, and lost forever. Later I bought the Quadrilogy dvd set and watched it about 5,000 times. The Blu-ray is superior.

Stitch

Stitch

Blu Ray because I don't have a 4K TV and likely won't unless I upgrade to a ridiculous size one.

Elmazalman

I've been through Betamax & VHS - pan & scan / widescreen 4:3 releases, Laserdisc editions, DVDs, Blu-ray and now 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray.

My format of choice for ALIEN (1979 Theatrical Cut) is the 2019 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray 40th Anniversary Edition.

My format of choice for ALIEN (2003/10 Director's Cut) is the 2010 Anthology Blu-ray release.

SM

SM

VCD.

Or failing that, Super 8.

Nightmare Asylum

Anthology Blu-ray. I own the 4K UHD disc, but don't have the proper setup to take advantage of it yet.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 23, 2019, 10:00:04 PM
VCD.

You don't have a reel-to-reel theater projector with a 35mm film print?

Xenomrph

i watch it as a home-made flip-book, and I make my own sound effects and recite all the dialogue from memory.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 23, 2019, 11:35:09 PM
Anthology Blu-ray. I own the 4K UHD disc, but don't have the proper setup to take advantage of it yet.

Same. I just use the current format. Once I've upgraded, I'm sure I'll just be watching everything on 4K.

I still own Alien on VHS and DVD, though.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 24, 2019, 04:06:42 AM
Quote from: SM on May 23, 2019, 10:00:04 PM
VCD.

You don't have a reel-to-reel theater projector with a 35mm film print?

No.

Nor Super 8.

Do have VCDs though.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 24, 2019, 08:13:44 AM

Same. I just use the current format. Once I've upgraded, I'm sure I'll just be watching everything on 4K.

I got rid of my VHS and DVD sets as I upgraded, but I actually do have 'Aliens' on Laserdisc - I bought it for a couple bucks as a novelty despite not having a player, and then several years later my sister actually bought me a laserdisc player for my birthday as a gag gift, so I actually could watch it in that format if I wanted to. :P

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 24, 2019, 04:29:16 AM
i watch it as a home-made flip-book, and I make my own sound effects and recite all the dialogue from memory.

Now that's hardcore. Hat's off to you sir.

Local Trouble

I no longer have it on any physical media.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 25, 2019, 04:28:22 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 24, 2019, 08:13:44 AM

I got rid of my VHS and DVD sets as I upgraded, but I actually do have 'Aliens' on Laserdisc - I bought it for a couple bucks as a novelty despite not having a player, and then several years later my sister actually bought me a laserdisc player for my birthday as a gag gift, so I actually could watch it in that format if I wanted to. :P
I still have my 1991 / 92 ALIEN and ALIENS LD Collector's Edition boxed sets.
No way to watch them as my LD player died and there's no need to replace it since the supplemental features have been ported over to DVD & BD.

I still keep the boxed sets for nostalgia. They were special once.

farsightblogger

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on May 23, 2019, 07:40:53 PMI'm curious who still uses VHS to watch Alien?  :laugh:

I've still got my VHS copies of Alien through to Alien 3, all in Widescreen ('...as they were mean to be seen!')- if I had a video player I'd love to watch them that way again, it's one of the things I loved about Alien Isolation, the old video feel was excellent.

Blu-ray is my choice, though - my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be so 4K ultra megapixelbitchvision is no good to me, which is upsetting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed