Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 81,864 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I do not believe it, I will not!

The Kurgan

It requires more than Ridley Scott and a broken script to create a good film

The Old One

The Old One

And under Disney hopefully we'll recieve a competent one, if not a good one. Finishing the story of David's hubris, addressing the nature of the Alien's creation, revealing the real Space Jockey creator of the Engineer race and with a retrotech visual style.

Huggs

I think Disney will put the need to make money over the need to finish a story that's not exactly satisfying a good portion of the customer base.

The Old One

The Old One

It's more important a franchise's got value long term to the owner than it is to create immediate profit, if the owner company is smart- you don't abandon part of the film series unfinished.

The Kurgan

Lets hope they do something with it or better, sell it. And not just sit idle on the license to prevent anybody else doing something with it and giving them competition in the cinema.

Kimarhi

Quote from: irn on Aug 15, 2019, 09:03:32 PM
I'm happy if they do a sequel to follow on from Covenant or Alien 3 but if they reboot it then I am done with this franchise. I'll just take the first three films and ignore anything to do with them has ever happened since.

This is essentially what I've been doing in my crazy head canon already.

I'll just start a new head canon with the new rebooted series.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 15, 2019, 05:20:43 AM
I don't agree, you've got the fall of David- the A.I's hubris, the Engineer's last people's retribution and the real Space Jockey to explore if you choose.

If you don't finish the prequel series with a certified good entry, it's a permanent damaged dead end mark upon the franchise.
And a wasted opportunity.

If the original Space Jockey is an Engineer, I would like it to be a relatable character, that's right. I don't know if that can be achieved, but somehow I want to feel something when I see it. If not, the revelation that such being is not an Engineer at all.

Quote from: CainsSon on Aug 15, 2019, 03:19:58 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Aug 15, 2019, 04:35:34 AM
I think Covenant wrapped up the prequels quite well.

David eliminated all loose ends, destroyed the engineers, created the Alien, escaped purgatory, has his own ship complete with materials necessary to colonize his own world. He won and got everything. He's master of his own destiny, escaping into the vastness of space to commit unknown horrors.

I can live with that ending.

I have to disagree. Ending the prequels where it left off is so chock full of open ends, it serves to hurt the franchise in some ways. People need a clearer understanding of the link between the prequels and the original franchise. If you watch the film in consecutive order, then you will just be waiting for that storyline to return.
The obvious next chapter is David trying to perfect the creature only to have them turn on him.
I think there may be a way to tell that story with some sort of reboot, but I also wouldnt put it past disney to just ignore it at this point.
This is just another reason why a series is best suited to fix this franchise. If Disney puts the money up the way they have been for a good Alien series, there are lots of avenues to explore.

While I believe (like many others) that Prometheus was a mess, at the same time is the movie that left the door open to many possibilities. Covenant has a clear path as Huggs has pointed out. When David meets his creator in that elegant white room, that is David's Valhalla. He is an individual worthy of being with his creator, but at the same time he concludes that such creator is far from being superior. I'd say there is a reference of rivalry among real-life academics. It's almost like the disagreement between Friedrich Nietzsche (David) and Richard Wagner (Weyland). The first gentleman is a philosopher and above all a rational individual, and the other gentleman...while a musical genius...is a more spiritual man (See Nietzsche contra Wagner). But from that beginning, David knows that God is dead. His creator will die someday, and David is going to be free like Nietzsche's Übermensch.  But a lot of that has already been said in my opinion, and even if Ridley/FOX/Disney makes a solid film/TV series about artificial intelligence trying to transcend, and overcome its creators, just to have a tragic but ironic ending...that doesn't make such idea profitable. Just see Blade Runner 2049. Sometimes profitability doesn't depend on quality, I'm afraid.

Even so I would like to see a conclusion, it's just that I see it as something it unlikely right now *sigh*  :-\

Voodoo Magic

Alien Covenant didn't do that well especially domestically, nor was the reception very positive. If Disney didn't purchase Fox I still don't think they'd continue the prequel trilogy as is to be honest. Like the failed planned Terminator Genisys trilogy, the logical business decision is to reassess and repackage unfortunately.

Kimarhi

It's not unfortunately. 

It's a great day where the alien series gets a chance to be more logical.

They could even KEEP many of the same ideas and retell them in a more convincing way. 

The Old One

The Old One

Terminator Genesis is the creation of a nobody, amongst a franchise of attempted reboot, after attempted reboot, after attempted reboot it. Predator's resting after a detour, but Ridley Scott's a big name, and the Prequel series is part of the film Anthology overall- Disney is wise enough I hope to not leave a dead end.
And judging by the reception to the Anniversary video,  people eager to see it exist.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 16, 2019, 03:26:42 AM
It's not unfortunately. 

Unfortunately for the fans who want to see it continue status quo, I mean.

I'm not a big fan of Covenant personally, but I'm just trying to analyze it all objectively without having a horse in the race.

The Old One

The Old One

I just got a horse in the "no eternal cliffhanger please" race, just give Ridley Scott the dignity of finishing even if it isn't under the exact circumstances desired, even if it's supervised by Disney.

irn

As much as I absolutely hate the direction they went by introducing the Engineers presumably as the Space Jockeys, I'd still like them to finish off that story rather than leave it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

As I said before, I honestly don't think I'd care if they never finish Ridley's prequel series. Both individually and collectively, the two films feel like the messy result of a confused, directionless development process - you can really tell from watching them that the goalposts kept moving throughout both productions, to the detriment of the final product, and I'm not convinced anyone has any real idea where it's supposed to be going next. I don't enjoy either movie and at this point I couldn't really care less what David gets up to down the line.

That said, I get that people who are invested would be understandably gutted that they might not get closure.

As for a potential reboot/remake, to be honest, if it looks decent from the trailers, I'd go see it. The series hasn't produced a really good film in decades, so at this point I don't see what harm attempting a fresh start can do. That said, if they're gonna hit the reboot button, I'd prefer them to simply cut their losses and start from scratch as opposed to messing about keeping some of the films and not others.

Ideally, I'd rather they just did some new, unconnected Alien stories set in the same universe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed