First Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Released Online - Alien: Containment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 29, 2019, 04:35:38 PM

Author
First Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Released Online - Alien: Containment! (Read 29,641 times)

Voodoo Magic

Well I quite enjoyed that!

And the lead actress, her name escapes me, she sure has an on-screen presense! Ten times more gravitas than Katherine Waterston. How can a short film cast such a strong lead, while a mutli-million big budget picture with a legendary director miss so miserably in casting, in comparison? (imo)

Looking forward to the next one!

Quote from: irn on Mar 29, 2019, 07:26:08 PM
Oddly it was very similar to an idea I wrote down for the Tongal Competition (prior to realizing it was US only!). Like survivors on a lifeboat after their ship got destroyed was identical to my story. Except mine had no-one in the crew trusting each other after they awaken and find a dead facehugger on the floor and don't know who it impregnated. Everyone wants to live but no-one wants the unborn beast to come with them.

I love this idea!

Joss

Sorry, but I'm not going to watch that. It's in MONO. Jesus, these IGN idiots can't even get the sound mix right.

bacchus

Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2019, 02:42:16 PM
I asked if you thought having endless male leads was weird and you said no. So series with male leads can have endless male leads and it's fine, but have a series with consistent female leads and it's "weird" and needs mixing up?

Why are multiple female leads problematic to you, but male leads aren't? Or, more specifically, why is Ripley "enough" in terms of female lead, while a single strong male lead isn't "enough" in other franchises to warrant switching genders for the lead?

Did you not read my last post? I mentioned specifically that other franchises which have just employed male leads should switch it up and have a female lead. I even gave an example - Predator has had just male leads for all of the films in that series and could freshen it up by having a female lead in the next installment. I also find it weird that Predator has just had male leads across 4 films.

Think you're being a little defensive, or maybe I've touched a nerve..

Predwars24

I mean it's a good short, it's nothing to celebrate over but it's interesting and has a good amount of suspense and tension for just a 10 minute video, well done I must say.

Stitch

It was OK. Not a bad short, though the constraints of the budget were fairly obvious, but it didn't really grab me.

Mike

Alice Braga is strong female in Predators , Irina is strong female in P2 as well as both chicks in AVPs , so idk why some liberals calling for female leads are crying.

The Old One

The Old One

No one is crying?

Perfect-Organism

What do you think this is, Frozen?

The Old One

The Old One

lol

Local Trouble

SM

'You have one woman in your movie!  She even talks in some scenes!  What more do you want?'

Local Trouble

I want her to repeat everything the computer says.

Samhain13

SiL

Quote from: bacchus on Mar 30, 2019, 05:45:22 PM
I also find it weird that Predator has just had male leads across 4 films.
Then why did you start the post saying you don't find it weird that other series have endless male leads? That's what I was responding to.

QuoteThink you're being a little defensive, or maybe I've touched a nerve..
Neither; there are many people who think that endless male characters are fine, but having a series with consistent female characters needs to be "changed up" and I like seeing what their reasoning for the double standard is. Turns out you don't share the double standard so no biggie.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: bacchus on Mar 30, 2019, 02:24:25 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 30, 2019, 11:49:31 AM
Quote from: bacchus on Mar 30, 2019, 09:53:45 AM
Weird isn't it that in all 4 Alien films, as well as Prometheus and Covenant, and now this short, that all of the lead characters are the 'strong independent badass female' types. Almost forgot AvP too.
Do you find it weird that countless other series have interchangeable male leads ... ?

No I don't find that weird, and I have nothing against female leads (indeed the short screenplay I wrote for the Tongal competition has a female lead).

To explain - I think Ripley is absolutely perfect as the least for the original 4 films. It wouldn't be the same without her. However Shaw in Prometheus and especially Daniels in Covenant are just attempts at capturing that same quality. The two prequels + Alien, aside from the Engineer/David/Walter stuff are essentially the same film (crew find a new planet, one of them gets infected, hell breaks out).

All I'm saying is I'm surprised the writers of Covenant didn't swap Daniels for a male character just for a bit of originality in this series as it would have been one of the easier changes. I would say the same for any new Predator film - they should go for a female lead next time.

I just want to say they did switch it up in Alien: Covenant, David is the Antagonist male lead playing the counterbalance to Ripley as the female lead in 4 films. Which is why Ridley Scott said he wanted to make more prequel movies and move away from the Alien to develop his character of the prequels. Which no one liked the idea of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed