Predator 5

Started by Frosty Venom, Mar 10, 2019, 01:30:41 PM

Author
Predator 5 (Read 2,105 times)

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Predator 5 (ideas)

The year is 2020. This alternate history near future setting is a dystopian cyberpunk metropolis similar to the Los Angeles of Blade Runner

or Neonopolis of Predator: Concrete Jungle.

In Predator 2, LA suffers from heat waves and violent street wars. But in 2020 the inhabitants of the technologically advanced city must face a sky that's consistently overcast and smoggy, rainy weather is a common occurrence. The rain contains pollutants from the many factories. The street wars are no longer between the Colombian & Jamaican drug gangs and the police but are fought by several powerful gangs of cybernetically enhanced criminals and the omnipresent police force. Corporate power looms with Weyland Corporation and Yutani Corporation struggling for dominance. Yutani has managed to keep up with the revolutionary Weyland with help from the Yautja plasma pistol acquired by Ms. Yutani in 2004. Though only now are they beginning to implement applications of the reverse engineered technology. Of course all of this action attracts a Yautja hunter.

The Predator would take out important members of both the gangs and the police force and would eventually discover the reverse-engineered Yautja technology in use, setting a new goal to destroy it all. A detective follows the clues similar to Harrigan or Deckard. 

The overall vibe of the film should be similar to Predator 2 and Concrete Jungle (comic & game) but with a dystopian cyberpunk setting.

Just imagine a trailer similar to that of Predator 2 but with a retro-future setting and cyberpunk themes. Los Angeles, 2020...

If you like the idea of a Predator story set in dystopian cyberpunk future, I recommend the Predator versus Judge Dredd comic. 

I'd love to see a Predator movie like this and these are just some of my thoughts.

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

I always liked the period piece story idea of the Predator on a ship in the 1800's or early 19th century, I've always liked that idea which originated from the scene at the end of Predator 2. I've always liked the idea of going to the past, keeping it simple but making a damn good and tense horror/action movie. Basing a Predator movie during World War 2 would also be sorta interesting too... but maybe that's just me. At the moment, anything would be better than that inconsistent mess that we got from Shane Black. (Really pains me to say that)

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Period piece. 1950's or 1960's

Stargazer acting as the Men in Black.

Super Predators are our villain with an Enforcer Predator in pursuit
The Super is heading to Earth to abduct people for a game-preserve. If it's following World War 2 then the Super is in no shortage of able bodies to kidnap and when an abduction fails it gets called in especially for all the bodies left in the fleeing Predator's retreat. This gets the attention of early Stargazer (or the OWLF) and they arrive to deal with it. The Super is then noted by local Yaujta with an Enforcer being tasked with bringing him down or bringing him in.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

After 3 mediocre sequels. I'm damn ready for a complete reboot of the franchise with a direct sequel to the first with Arnold Schwarzenegger. They need to do something original and fresh and I'm not feeling that at all with each sequel they release. It's like each director is trying to make all the elements from previous sequel work when in reality they need to dig in deep to the roots of where the Predator actually came from and what the real culture and lifestyle is of these hunters. They never delve deep into the storylines with the characters besides some charming cool one liner and there isn't ever really anything explored thoroughly involving the Predators. I just think the whole direction in which they took Predator 2 and the rest of the sequels was wrong. Predator was a masterpiece plan and simple, none of the sequel even get close.

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on Mar 11, 2019, 12:38:51 AM
They need to do something original and fresh and I'm not feeling that at all with each sequel they release. It's like each director is trying to make all the elements from previous sequel work when in reality they need to dig in deep to the roots of where the Predator actually came from and what the real culture and lifestyle is of these hunters. They never delve deep into the storylines with the characters besides some charming cool one liner and there isn't ever really anything explored thoroughly involving the Predators. I just think the whole direction in which they took Predator 2 and the rest of the sequels was wrong. Predator was a masterpiece plan and simple, none of the sequel even get close.

What I really liked about Predator is the mystery... and we still sort of had that mystery with Predator 2 to some degree. I don't like it when they start adding stuff to the characters that we dont need, like ripping the spines to they can take the fluid and genetically modify themselves, that sort of shit... I can live without. Keep it simple, keep the mystery and go back in time maybe... thats just me personally tho,

Samhain13

Samhain13

A movie loosely based on Predator: Bad Blood could be cool. They have been trying the Predator vs Predator concept for a while and keep failing at it so bad, would be nice to see it work at least once.

A loose adaptation of Predator: South China Sea could work too, but if it was possible I would give Dutch a bigger role, not focus only on him but he would be among the main characters.

Since you mentioned Concrete Jungle, I wouldn't mind a movie that tried to have some ties with it, a futuristic Earth could be great, around the same time period as the game.

I also thought about the idea of having set it in the 2200s, on a ALIENS setting, you know colonial marines and stuff but without the actual aliens of course just colonial marines and predators, and with a more serious and darker take than the previous movies.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I've been messing with a short story about a Predator in the far future with a version of humanity that very much knows of their existence. I kept thinking about the first story in "If it bleeds" as a basis where the team is built specifically for these kinds of situations and yet at the end it's not the technology it's the ferocity of it that takes them down.

I like the idea that humanity kind of figures it out but in a period where they haven't heard anything from them for 100 years or more and they have to use that training period to get a bead on this thing.

It keeps outsmarting them using their own reliance on technology to get in the team's head and break and or separate them. Like if the technology is to some degree built off of Yaujta technology, not only have the Yauta figured this out, they have a backdoor into it and can feed them false data or break camera feeds. And since they haven't been seen in 100 years the team has to use preconceptions about them to hunt this one down. I just really love the idea of one hacking into a marine's comms and speaking into it like one of their comrades to send them running or the marine figuring it out and knows his team is walking into a trap. It would make all the dialogue a little game of spot the imposter to keep the audience focused.

I even thought about new gadgets like a decoy that's convincing enough to fool targets (kind of like the Decoy ability in Halo Reach) as an extension of the cloaking.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I agree that a period piece Predator movie such as Vietnam War or Feudal Japan would also be great. A far future setting with colonial marines would also be really cool.

But I think this retro-near-future cyberpunk setting would be a good way to bridge from a present day setting to one of these.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Mar 11, 2019, 02:28:28 AM
I agree that a period piece Predator movie such as Vietnam War or Feudal Japan would also be great. A far future setting with colonial marines would also be really cool.

But I think this retro-near-future cyberpunk setting would be a good way to bridge from a present day setting to one of these.

^^^^I'm going to preach until I am blue in the face. They should do episodic stories. Like...one off story lines. Seasons. Like American Horror Story. Each season can be a time period piece. I would watch the hell out of that.

TAKE. MY. MONEY.

Billiken

Billiken

I like the future idea, i liked what they did in Predator 2. anything to evolve the series.

Master

Master

Stop evolving and reinventing the series. Think what made first and second one thick in the first place.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

After 3 mediocre sequels. I'm damn ready for a complete reboot of the franchise with a direct sequel to the first with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

But that wouldn't be a complete reboot.

And you can still do a direct sequel to the first movie. There's no real linear storytelling in the franchise to f*ck up. There's no reoccurring characters. And what barely ties these movies together can almost be equated to easter eggs.

I just think the whole direction in which they took Predator 2 and the rest of the sequels was wrong.

What???

BLASPHEMY!

Get 'em City Hunter!

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I came up with an idea about time travel. Basically in the future, the predator hunts a distant relative of Dutch in a futuristic city kind of like blade runner style.
by the end we realize that the timeline of the predator film is actually the sequel. Hehe, so the predator fails and wants to trace his DNA into the past to irradicate Earth's greatest predator from emmerging into the future. And we later reveal that the predator even faced a future relative of Dutch in the far far future. Kind of a mind trip though.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Part of the issue to me in developing Predator sequels is that most don't know what to do with them outside of hunting.

See, a common problem in Science fiction is the "species of hats" trope. Basically it's a species whose lives are defined by a singular thing, in this case the Predator species is defined by hunting. But there's so much more to them worth exploring as we've found out about their rituals, their in-fighting, blood feuds, and effects on those they encounter. Any subsequent sequel (and they all have) should build on what came before.

Predator really is one of those franchises that can take a blow like The Predator and walk away because it never had direct continuity anyways. You don't need a Halloween style reboot because we very rarely see returning individuals from the same group. To that end we are allowed to go a bit bigger because there is nothing to suggest otherwise. I really do feel like Predator 2 had the right idea as you can't simply do Predator all over again and hope people wont notice.

germanator2

germanator2

This is a story I'm working on, but I'm just pulling a Halloween and just doing a direct sequel to the original and Dutch will be back. I'm ignoring Predators and The Predator. I'm not exactly ignoring Predator 2. I still like that film and it's definitely a nostalgic trip if anything and there are elements to it I still like that I would feature in my story, but ultimately, the suspense and mystery surrounding the Predator that you got from the first experience watching Predator is obviously gone because of how exposed the creature has been too variable degree in each outing. So that's why I think its best to bring back Dutch and make him the centerpiece much like Alien did with Ripley. Because if you create a new story with new characters and their encounter with a Predator, in the present, future or a past in a period piece, its still ultimately going to be the same thing over and over again, and the audience will already know more than the characters when they're trying to figure out what the Predator is. And if you try to keep and adding new stuff to the Predator, it just demystifies the creature and makes him less scary.

So in my story. It's not perfect, but just some ideas I'm playing around with. taking place over 30 years later, and obviously taking notes from the new Halloween film, Dutch is basically suffering PTSD from his encounter and his team being killed by the first Predator. He's been written off since as being crazy for trying to tell his story that an alien killed his team. After that, he went on to write and publish several books about his missions that subtly references the Predator, but doesn't directly call it an alien, he just mentions it being an "invisible enemy" with superior technology and how it was defeated with the use of "mud". I bright back the mud aspect because its nothing that really been revisited. Predators did, but it wasn't till the end of the film. Even though mud doesn't really block heat, it's just a movie and you can say it blocks the thermal vision from the Predator has because why would it be the same as humans?!

So I just think, what if a group of characters have that from the start to really turn the tables on the Predator? So in addition to writing books, Dutch has also set up his own international security company and is self-funded and has been prepared if another Predator returns, having developed new mud-based camouflage with military gear and equipment. I don't think it sounds to far-fetch because if you look at a ghillie suit, it uses plants/grass vegetation and as camouflage, so just imagine a uniform and guns basically coated in mud.

So anyway, Dutch usually only take clients around the world who are former criminals or been indicted or waiting to be convicted, war criminals. and want protection. He does this in hopes of drawing out a Predator because he thinks they would all worthy prey.

Dutch is contacted by a client to hire him and his company for protection (I was thinking maybe 1 or 2 other characters working with Dutch). The client is a former Special Forces operator and convicted war criminal who operated during the Yugoslav wars in the 1990s. And he is also an heir to a wealthy horse dynasty, so his family has a lot of wealth and influence.  It turns out he read Dutch's book and the real reason he hired Dutch was that he had an encounter with the Predator in Bosnia that killed 2 of his teammates and severely wounded him with the plasma cannon, burning half of his face when he tried to avoid it, and only survived when he hid under some dead bodies and dirt and mud and blood, and since then has a God Superiority Complex to him and thinks he's a God and was able to best the "devil" and wants to go after a Predator himself with Dutch's help. And Dutch obviously sees this as an opportunity as well to get his story out.

Still working out how to go from there, but now you have a group of characters who know what the Predator is, so it's easier to kinda build back up that suspense with not showing the Predator (because that's how I'm writing it) because you're not following a group of characters trying to figure out what is killing them again, but rather how to survive. Plus, they'd be using the mud camouflage the entire time as well (just think Navy SEALs, but covered in mud), so it'd be really flipping the series on its head, and trying to outsmart and stalking the Predator. And with Dutch back, you still got someone to be invested in much like the Alien series did with Ripley. And that was kinda a problem I had with Predator 2. Dutch was able to outsmart the first Predator, obviously unintentionally with the mud, and somewhat turn the tables but there's still dread to it because if he makes to much of a sudden movement, the Predator would be able to see. The Predator is under no illusion that he can't beat him just because he can't see him. It's just another challenge for him. But in Predator 2, at least up till the slaughterhouse sequence when Harrigan blasts him with the shotgun, just seeing the Predator run away and Harrigan chasing it the entire time, you really lose that sense of dread. And its not so much that Harrigan outsmarted him the entire time, but rather through the Predator kinda being really clumsy honestly.

So that's where I'm going with my story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed