What's the deal with Predator blood?

Started by Kradan, Mar 01, 2019, 11:00:30 PM

The best looking Predator blood was in...

...Predator
12 (48%)
...Predator 2
8 (32%)
...AVP
1 (4%)
...AVPR
2 (8%)
...Predators
1 (4%)
...The Predator?
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author
What's the deal with Predator blood? (Read 3,285 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Simple: i've noticed that apart from first two Predator movies (because the same team worked on, i guess) Predator blood looks different in each movie. I think in AVP it was overglowing and almost white in color. I AVPR and Predators it was opposite: blood almost didn't glow and didn't look very...  cool, i think. In The Predator glowing was alright but color seems emerald-like for unknown reasons.

So, is there any satisfactive explanation? Was there any logic put behind it? Also in what movie you think Predator blood looks the best?

SuperiorIronman

I'm pretty sure it's likely to do with the nature of how much they needed and where they could get it for shooting.

If I'm not mistaken it's just lube and broken open glowsticks which they had to keep applying because it dried up quickly and lost color. In-between takes on Predator 2 I'm pretty sure they had to keep coating the suit in it.

I can imagine that as time went on they just used different products for the mix or just used a different blood in-general considering the original version doesn't really lend itself to multiple takes. The colors probably stemming from a mixture of different filming conditions, products available, and advances in filming equipment like CGI.

AhabPredator

I'd boil it down to creative difference. Fun fact, it's made from petroleum jelly and the stuff in green glow sticks.

https://youtu.be/PR538034kak

The best for me will always be Predator 1987.

https://youtu.be/RzBP9aqMx8E

Following that, I enjoyed AvP's take. Especially when Chopper Predator was killed by Grid alien by a head bite and spews predator brain matter on the floor near Lex.

https://youtu.be/jecHzmHY8jg
https://youtu.be/Xh1TwRilcLo

SiL

SiL

Few factors; the exact mixture they use, the cameras and recording medium they use, and the colour timing/grading of the footage.

Voodoo Magic

Woohoo! I get to use this gif twice in one day!

I love the contrast between the blue lighting and the City Hunter's green blood. So, so good.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 12:13:38 AM

I love the contrast between the blue lighting and the City Hunter's green blood. So, so good.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrayFrequentClownanemonefish-size_restricted.gif

A really good scene, no doubt. I think that and the medicomp scene where City Hunter/Pussy Face is cauterized his arm stump was pretty rad. Amazing that you can dismember these beasts and they still retain around 80% combat proficiency. If you did that to a human, the shock of trauma alone would be fatal.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 02, 2019, 12:27:56 AM

A really good scene, no doubt. I think that and the medicomp scene where City Hunter/Pussy Face is cauterized his arm stump was pretty rad. Amazing that you can dismember these beasts and they still retain around 80% combat proficiency. If you did that to a human, the shock of trauma alone would be fatal.

I love that about the movies since it illustrates not only how dangerous these things are but are on point with why they tend to gravitate towards the kinds of conflicts they do. To me it also allowed speculation what kind of combat among themselves would be like considering they don't go down easy. Even half dead or barely awake these things are like a bull in a china shop.

It does kind of irritate me though when in the comics they just leap into a hail of gunfire or go down as easy as a Xenomorph in A:CM.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 02, 2019, 01:21:54 AM

I love that about the movies since it illustrates not only how dangerous these things are but are on point with why they tend to gravitate towards the kinds of conflicts they do. To me it also allowed speculation what kind of combat among themselves would be like considering they don't go down easy. Even half dead or barely awake these things are like a bull in a china shop.

It does kind of irritate me though when in the comics they just leap into a hail of gunfire or go down as easy as a Xenomorph in A:CM.

I think I like how they go from cloaked stalking hunters to berserker tanks when cornered or fighting worthy prey.

Kradan

Indeed.

Voodoo Magic

No they don't go down easy.

They remind me in a way of Spartans. I've read at the Hot Gates, even in their dying moments, they would claw and bite.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 10:01:39 AM

They remind me in a way of Spartans. I've read at the Hot Gates, even in their dying moments, they would claw and bite.

You know what I liked? Did you ever play AvP 1999? When captured, if the human scientists tried to remove Yautja tech such as wrist computers or wrist blade gauntlets, the Yautja would die. Meaning...death before disarmament.

They rather be dead than unarmed and helpless. Somehow their tech was tied to their nervous system I guess.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 02, 2019, 03:42:49 PM

You know what I liked? Did you ever play AvP 1999? When captured, if the human scientists tried to remove Yautja tech such as wrist computers or wrist blade gauntlets, the Yautja would die. Meaning...death before disarmament.

They rather be dead than unarmed and helpless. Somehow their tech was tied to their nervous system I guess.

No I hadn't. Tied to their nervous system huh? That's an interesting concept. I would rather it detonate with any unauthorized removal. Then the Yautja dies and the tech is destroyed with one fell swoop.  :)

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 02, 2019, 03:42:49 PM

No I hadn't. Tied to their nervous system huh? That's an interesting concept. I would rather it detonate with any unauthorized removal. Then the Yautja dies and the tech is destroyed with one fell swoop.  :)

That would be cool. Biometrically connected to the Yautja user. If any other species accesses the tech...KFB.

SuperiorIronman

Given how naturally strong it seems a Yaujta is that seems like an odd thing to do should their gauntlet come off especially considering we've seen their equipment break or shoot their wristblades off (although Scar still had his even after firing them in later shots).

Although I do like the idea that even the Predator itself is weaponized. As far as the films are concerned though, they don't loose that much even if the defeats are spectacular so the necessity would be called into question. And even what we know Stargazer had access to, they didn't seem to have that much. It just made more sense to me that they'd start doing things like with Fugitive's helmet where if attacked the helmet auto-targets or they'd create genetically engineered hit-men. That and over gear said Assassins. I don't think we've reached the point in the franchise where these guys start auto-nuking even the gear considering what Stargazer had access to after decades of tracking and study.

Kradan

So now all variants have been chosen. Interesting, very very interesting...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed