How would you bring Dutch back to the series?

Started by germanator2, Feb 26, 2019, 03:42:33 AM

Author
How would you bring Dutch back to the series? (Read 7,753 times)

germanator2

Personally, I'd like to see more a character piece than an assemble and it'd just revolve around Dutch and the Predator and maybe 2 or 3 other characters. I think it'd be cool to see the psychological effect of facing the Predator and his team being killed and how Dutch deals with it.  It'd also be a good chance for Arnold to expand on his acting, because he can act if you've watched Maggie. Even The Terminator is a great performance because there's a lot of subtly movement, even with little dialogue, that really makes the performance so great. He's able to give a good performance, he just needs to be surrounded by good actos to bounce off from.
And Predator is over-the-top in it's own right with the action, but it still takes itself more seriously than Predator 2, which almost borderlines satire with the violence and some of the humor (Grandma with broom). I think they could really make a serious psychological/thriller/horror out of it. Plus it'd be a good way to make the Predator scary again.

SM

Ninety minutes of a running battle between Dutch and a Predator.

Bit like Fury Road.

PsyKore

Quote from: germanator2 on Feb 26, 2019, 03:42:33 AM
He's able to give a good performance, he just needs to be surrounded by good actos to bounce off from.

This is true and you can especially see it in his scenes with Carl Weathers. Predator has always been one of Arnie's best acting roles because of Carl IMO.

I wouldn't know how to properly bring Dutch back though. I probably wouldn't mind how they did it just as long as it had a serious tone and Arnie didn't crack jokes at the camera every second. So yes, a character piece could be great.

Kradan

It's kinda silly, i know but i don't have anything against seeing Dutch as member of Predator's clan. I think it's pretty possible that he became obsessed with hunting after events of Predator.

AhabPredator

I rather see his brother, Detective Schaefer. I kind of liked that search for Dutch in the comics. I personally don't feel that including Dutch for the sake of including Dutch makes a better story. It's trying too much to be Predator 1987 (aka the A New Hope retelling that is The Force Awakens). The only way I see carrying it on is if it was a passing of the torch kind of deal. To a younger brother, a son, or an apprentice. The problem with that is you would need to find someone charismatic enough to compete with Arnold's larger than life, over the top action hero status. And the modern (younger generation) Hollywood stars don't even compare for the most part.

The Kurgan

Iam generally not a fan of this whole passing of the torch thing in movies, aber in this case it might work.

Kinda like in the Predator: Hunter comics, where the leader of the team has this family history of hunting and killing predators.

Maybe let Dutch start something similiar. Maybe at first he tried to work with various official government agencies after his encounter in the jungle, but soon realised they are more into getting their hands on the technology rather than preventing the hunters killing sprees or something like that, so he does his own thing

Of course he would also get a reputation among predators, some of who will go specifically after him to make a name for themselves etc.

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 26, 2019, 01:35:18 PM
Iam generally not a fan of this whole passing of the torch thing in movies, aber in this case it might work.

Kinda like in the Predator: Hunter comics, where the leader of the team has this family history of hunting and killing predators.

Maybe let Dutch start something similiar. Maybe at first he tried to work with various official government agencies after his encounter in the jungle, but soon realised they are more into getting their hands on the technology rather than preventing the hunters killing sprees or something like that, so he does his own thing

Of course he would also get a reputation among predators, some of who will go specifically after him to make a name for themselves etc.

I think that would be a solid foundation. I also liked Hunters because every team member had been a Predator killer or survivor. So even though they knew their skills, abilities, and tech they didn't prevail on first encounter. I would like to see Dutch lead and mentor a similar team.

The Kurgan

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 26, 2019, 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 26, 2019, 01:35:18 PM

I think that would be a solid foundation. I also liked Hunters because every team member had been a Predator killer or survivor. So even though they knew their skills, abilities, and tech they didn't prevail on first encounter. I would like to see Dutch lead and mentor a similar team.

Me too.

You could even bring Harrigan back, some run-ins with government goons who are after technology or even a recurring predator baddie who has a grudge with Dutch.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Dutch tried settling down. Got married. Had a son. But his wife couldn't take the depression, the night terrors, the mood swings any longer and left him. Now he's bunkered up in a remote log cabin alone. Living off the land. Hasn't talked to anyone in years. He's tried to forget what happened, still haunted by those events to this day. The cold sweats, the hallucinations. He has a noose hanging from the rafters, always asking if today will be the day. Always asking.

Then one day he gets something he would never expect. A visitor.  Dutch is informed by the military that after all these years, one's back, a Predator is back,.

And now there is a military operation that the U.S. lost contact with. Thirty missing men and women. We can't reach them. They're gone. Just gone. And Dutch...Peter... your son.  Your son was among those soldiers.

Huggs

He goes to die on the mountain, and finds the Conan sword in a cave.

Let them fight.

germanator2

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 26, 2019, 11:44:33 PM
Dutch tried settling down. Got married. Had a son. But his wife couldn't take the depression, the night terrors, the mood swings any longer and left him. Now he's bunkered up in a remote log cabin alone. Living off the land. Hasn't talked to anyone in years. He's tried to forget what happened, still haunted by those events to this day. The cold sweats, the hallucinations. He has a noose hanging from the rafters, always asking if today will be the day. Always asking.

Then one day he gets something he would never expect. A visitor.  Dutch is informed by the military that after all these years, one's back, a Predator is back,.

And now there is a military operation that the U.S. lost contact with. Thirty missing men and women. We can't reach them. They're gone. Just gone. And Dutch...Peter... your son.  Your son was among those soldiers.

Oh shit, you may actually be on to something here.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: germanator2 on Feb 27, 2019, 03:58:19 AM

Thanks.  :)   I just think we need a story that might finally bring Dutch some peace.  This time he has a chance to save people, and bring some soldiers out alive. An opportunity at redemption, to make up for losing his team so long ago.

It doesn't even have to be Dutch's son. It could be Dillon's or Billy's, someone he promised to look after if one of his team died, but was never permitted to, because the kid blamed Dutch for the loss of his Dad, after hearing some bullsh*t story about a space alien.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 27, 2019, 04:19:59 AM

Thanks.  :)   I just think we need a story that might finally bring Dutch some peace.  This time he has a chance to save people, and bring some soldiers out alive. An opportunity at redemption, to make up for losing his team so long ago.

It doesn't even have to be Dutch's son. It could be Dillon's or Billy's, someone he promised to look after if one of his team died, but was never permitted to, because the kid blamed Dutch for the loss of his Dad, after hearing some bullsh*t story about a space alien.

Now this is a story I can get behind. Combine most of the elements here and some of the Old Ones' pitch and we might have something remarkable.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 27, 2019, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 27, 2019, 04:19:59 AM

Now this is a story I can get behind. Combine most of the elements here and some of the Old Ones' pitch and we might have something remarkable.

Thanks brother. Agreed. But for some reason these days the best paths are always the paths untaken. :-\

Kradan

Stop whining about how godawful The Predator is! It irratates me!

Spoiler
Because in depth of my soul i like that movie  :)
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed