Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 18, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither?

Vegan
Vagatarian
Neither
Author
Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks? (Read 4,885 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

Transition from meat eater to vegetarian/vegan is difficult but once you accomplish that it's easy. Well done Oasis Nadrama.

Approximately 150 billion (!) animals are killed yearly.

Huggs

I think things like beef can definitely become a problem, even though I'm a carnivore. But I think the problem begins when you eat out too much, or constantly make yourself hamburgers and junk with that meat at home . A plain meat patty with some mashed potatoes and vegetables isn't all that bad every now and then . Contrast that with a McDonald's cheeseburger three or four times a week, and then you're talking problems.

That's why I don't hardly eat out at all , and I mostly confine my meats to chicken and sometimes turkey. I can't remember the last time I had tacos where the meat wasn't turkey meat . The flavor actually seems much stronger as well. I preferred the taste of the turkey meat in most cases.

I'm sure there's an argument for population control somewhere in this equation. That of the bovine, not the man obviously . I don't know what would happen to the cow, pig, and chicken populations if it weren't for the meat industry . It's a conundrum.

The Old One

The Old One

Ingwar

Ingwar

Personally I wouldn't try it. Once I stopped eating meat I lost utter desire for tasting meat (real or fake) anymore. Even its smell is unappetising for me. It's one of the positive side effects of being vegetarian/vegan.

Besides, meat growing in a lab from animal cells? Would you eat that? :)

Huggs

I remember the whole pink slime thing grossed me out when I first heard about it. And it's true , when you get away from junk food , and other things like baloney and cheeseburgers and fast food , you'll feel like crap if you eat it again. Back in college when I was lifting all the time , I spent about three months eating perfectly clean .

I had one cheeseburger at the end of all that, and I thought I was going to throw up . I was sick the whole day . I also have had family members and friends eat clean for several weeks, and the first time they ate a hot dog or frozen pizza they became severely nauseous .

And it's true that if you do go without certain foods and drinks for an extended period of time , you won't miss them. I haven't had Kool-Aid or cake or pop tarts in probably seven or eight years. Once you get through those first few months without something, you're out for good if you want to be. I once went three years without a hotdog , but I screwed up and had some for July 4th. They made me feel like crap and I had to cut them out all over again. It's been well worth it though.

I've got an advantage though, in the fact that my family never really did eat fast food when I was a kid and we still don't. So I really don't have any desire for it.

The Old One

The Old One

Local Trouble

Are you suggesting that we kill all the cows and have a big barbecue to save the planet?

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 20, 2019, 10:07:48 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2019, 09:16:42 PM
Personally I wouldn't try it. Once I stopped eating meat I lost utter desire for tasting meat (real or fake) anymore. Even its smell is unappetising for me. It's one of the positive side effects of being vegetarian/vegan.

Besides, meat growing in a lab from animal cells? Would you eat that? :)

I'd sooner rather the world be eating that, than the billions of Cows producing methane destroying the atmosphere.

Don't bother, my family produces enough of that to where I can safely say we're all doomed already.

Local Trouble

"I hope you like your meat rare.  It's not real beef, of course--the mess sergeant put it together out of protein packs and that damned soy concentrate--but I think the flavor will surprise you."

Huggs

I eat the cow and absorb its powers . My farts become stronger . The world dies even faster.

Local Trouble

Shasvre

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2019, 10:21:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7BDiNktrLU

Man, it's been a long time since I've seen this. It reminded me of a more serious Cannibal the Musical!. :laugh:

SiL

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on Feb 20, 2019, 02:01:14 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 19, 2019, 10:24:40 AM
Seriously?  Jackfruit as pulled pork?

:D Exactly!
Pure gluten also makes a good meat substitute. You can find it called mock duck in Asian grocers.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2019, 10:18:21 PM
"I hope you like your meat rare.  It's not real beef, of course--the mess sergeant put it together out of protein packs and that damned soy concentrate--but I think the flavor will surprise you."

Deep cut.

Local Trouble

How many nanoseconds did it take for you to recognize it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed