Canon does not exist so... What is YOUR Alien versus Predator canon?

Started by Oasis Nadrama, Jan 28, 2019, 09:34:01 AM

Author
Canon does not exist so... What is YOUR Alien versus Predator canon? (Read 22,619 times)

Stitch

Quote from: BlazinBlue88 on Mar 21, 2019, 11:49:25 PM
Canon:

Predator
Predator 2
Alien Vs Predator (including Requiem)
Predators
The Predator (2018 fanedit)

Prometheus: Giftbearer
Alien: Covenant

Alien (theatrical and directors cut)
Aliens
Alien 3 Assembly Cut
Alien Resurrection DC

This is what I consider to be my personal canon.
The Predator fan edit? Curious. Do tell...

SiL

Personal canon:

None.

Forum Canon:

Whatever the OP of a thread wants to include in a conversation.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 23, 2019, 11:29:28 AM
Personal canon:

None.

Forum Canon:

That's an interesting stance.

Outside of this forum, you have no opinion whatsoever about what you consider "true" or "authoritative" within the A/P/AvP franchise?

Huggs

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 23, 2019, 05:05:33 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 23, 2019, 11:29:28 AM
Personal canon:

None.

Forum Canon:

That's an interesting stance.

Outside of this forum, you have no opinion whatsoever about what you consider "true" or "authoritative" within the A/P/AvP franchise?

"There is nothing in the desert"

JDrums

Hi guys!

It is not clear to me if the books of the Out of the Shadows trilogy and those of Rage Wars are currently considered canonical!

I also read that the AvP and Predator franchises are to be considered separate from those of Alien/Aliens and Prometheus. So, should only those of Alien / Aliens and Prometheus from the Fire and Stone, Life and Death series and the Rage Wars books be considered in the timeline?

Thanks!

Corporal Hicks

No-one really knows at the minute, JD. There's no-one at Studios/Disney shepherding at the minute.

Xenomrph

Quote from: JDrums on May 05, 2020, 05:26:58 PM
Hi guys!

It is not clear to me if the books of the Out of the Shadows trilogy and those of Rage Wars are currently considered canonical!

I also read that the AvP and Predator franchises are to be considered separate from those of Alien/Aliens and Prometheus. So, should only those of Alien / Aliens and Prometheus from the Fire and Stone, Life and Death series and the Rage Wars books be considered in the timeline?

Thanks!
I could ask Andrew Gaska, he seems to have a direct line to FOX/Disney on those matters even in current circumstances, since he's continuously working on the Alien RPG.

THAT SAID, canon is a nonsense construct blah blah I've said it a dozen times in this thread yadda yadda.

Local Trouble

Without canon this forum would tear itself apart!  >:(

Nukiemorph

Covenant contradicted the ancient xenomorphs Out of the Shadows, unless you follow the fan theories that David didn't create the aliens, (which I'm pretty sure Andrew Gaska subscribes to). So it can still be canon if you reject David as the creator and are willing to swallow the contrived idea that Ripley had another adventure in between Alien and Aliens.

Sea of Sorrows is a sequel to Out of the Shadows, so same goes for that one.

River of Pain has a lot of continuity errors with Aliens. The most annoying part for me is the concept that there was already a squad of colonial marines at Hadley's Hope before the takeover and the film doesn't mention it at all. If you're willing to swallow that, River of Pain can be canon too.

I haven't read Rage Wars.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 05, 2020, 09:22:53 PM
Without canon this forum would tear itself apart!  >:(
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!  >:(

Quote from: David's Creation on May 05, 2020, 09:33:35 PM
Covenant contradicted the ancient xenomorphs Out of the Shadows, unless you follow the fan theories that David didn't create the aliens, (which I'm pretty sure Andrew Gaska subscribes to). So it can still be canon if you reject David as the creator and are willing to swallow the contrived idea that Ripley had another adventure in between Alien and Aliens.
Covenant also contradicted 'Alien' establishing that the Derelict/Space Jockey was ancient (and therefore, so was the Alien) but that's neither here nor there.

Agreed that putting Marines at Hadley's Hope before 'Aliens' was goofy shit, but apparently that was a FOX mandate (as was Ripley's adventure in Out of the Shadows).

Local Trouble

God, those books sound awful.  I mean, it sounds like the stories themselves originally had potential but for those "Fox mandates."

Xenomrph

Out of the Shadows is pretty solid despite the premise, especially the audio drama version. The authors do what they can with what they're given, as is the nature of franchise tie-in writing.

Kradan

Yes, yes and yes again

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Oasis NadramaCanon does not exist so... What is YOUR Alien versus Predator canon?

The canon is as real as your opinion, my friend.

Quote from: Oasis NadramaWhat would you define as "canon universe"?

Whatever the IP owners consider as canon. The canon is subject to change anyway. And by changes, I mean official changes:laugh:

Quote from: Oasis NadramaWhat would you define as "canon chronology"?

The Alien Universe Timeline

Quote from: Oasis NadramaWhat would you define as "the Word of God" here?

As I'd said, whatever the IP owners consider as canon. There are different IPs though. Maybe some people are mixing pears with apples based on Easter eggs and personal fantasies.

The Banned Histories – Pre-history to 2008

I'm not saying head canon isn't fun though.

Quote from: Oasis NadramaThe "canon is whatever is on the cinema screen" rule does not manage to define a consistent canon.

Neither the "canon is whatever is on the fan's head".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote from: Oasis NadramaWhat is YOUR canon?

Alien, Predator and AVP - each one in its own universe.  8)

JDrums

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 05, 2020, 05:54:00 PM
No-one really knows at the minute, JD. There's no-one at Studios/Disney shepherding at the minute.

Thanks CH :) ! More generally, can novelisations be considered canonical? I guess so, as long as they don't contradict the film! Quite right?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed