Alex Ripley

Started by Voodoo Magic, Oct 12, 2018, 01:04:09 PM

Author
Alex Ripley (Read 4,760 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2018, 12:19:51 PM
I think enough is enough. Amanda worked far better than I ever expected her to do. I wouldn't want yet another Ripley running around in the same time frame.

I get that. Alex Ripley might only be worthy to pursue in an EU novel or comic. I do think there may be a good story lurking around in there, unleashed with a creative mind. I'd still rather go there than to continue Scott's prequels to be honest.

QuoteI wouldn't say any timeframe. I'm still hopeful for a good outing with Ripley 8. I really want to see her connection the Aliens explored more.

You had me until you said Ripley 8.  ;D. I know it has its fans, but I don't think they would ever continue that thread in features, considering its critical and audience reception.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2018, 12:31:51 PM
I wouldn't say any timeframe. I'm still hopeful for a good outing with Ripley 8. I really want to see her connection the Aliens explored more.

THIS. What did you think of Original Sin? It was satisfying to see Ripley 8 and crew post-Resurrection but still left me hungry for more.

My dream for a continuation of Ripley 8's story would be an animated film, either full length or part of an anthology; with Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder and Ron Perlman reprising their roles as voice actors.

If anyone has seen Animatrix or Halo Legends hopefully you'd agree that the format of an animated anthology film would be perfect for Aliens.

The Old One

The Old One

This "Ellen Ripley or Ridley Scott" attitude needs to be dropped IMO.
It isn't necessarily one or the other.

Champion new stories and characters above all else.
The Cold Forge proves it's the right direction IMO.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 13, 2018, 12:52:55 PM
This "Ellen Ripley or Ridley Scott" attitude needs to be dropped IMO.
It isn't necessarily one or the other.

Champion new stories and characters above all else.
The Cold Forge proves it's the right direction IMO.

I don't know. After Resurrection, I'm not certain a story surrounding weaponizing the Xenomorphs is the right step. I think a stripping down needs to occur, then build it back up.

I'd rather have a detective movie, no crew, just father and daughter, out in space trying trying to learn the fate of their mother. Some die hard fans might hate it waiving off what's been established in the EU, but I think this could make a compelling film for general audiences.

The Old One

The Old One

The Cold Forge wasn't about weaponization.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Well the reason why Weyland-Yutani in The Cold Forge and the USM in Resurrection have Xenomorph specimens in captivity is for the purpose of weaponization.

Not that that's what The Cold Forge's story is about, but it is what the story revolves around.

The Old One

The Old One

True. Plagiarus praepotens.

(But again, new stories don't have to be about weaponization either.)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 13, 2018, 12:41:04 PM
You had me until you said Ripley 8.  ;D. I know it has its fans, but I don't think they would ever continue that thread in features, considering its critical and audience reception.

Hadn't realized you meant Ripley back for films! No, 100% no Alex Ripley in films or EU. I wouldn't expect Ripley 8 back for Alien 5 but I want to see her again in the EU.

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 13, 2018, 12:50:41 PM
THIS. What did you think of Original Sin? It was satisfying to see Ripley 8 and crew post-Resurrection but still left me hungry for more.

I've only ever read it once and that was many many years ago so I can't recall exactly what it was like but I remember it being "eeehhh." It's actually next on my to-read list though. Going back and trying to revisit the older DH Press novels.

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 13, 2018, 02:12:09 PM
Well the reason why Weyland-Yutani in The Cold Forge and the USM in Resurrection have Xenomorph specimens in captivity is for the purpose of weaponization.

I'd love to see more stories where it's about some other purpose for the Aliens. That's ones of the things I loved in Cold Forge. It may have been WY's original purpose but Blue was exploring them for something different.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2018, 03:49:08 PM
Hadn't realized you meant Ripley back for films
I was first talking EU... but then it mophed into an idea for Alien 5.  A father daughter quest into space for answers certainly has appeal to me.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 13, 2018, 12:50:42 PM
My dream for a continuation of Ripley 8's story would be an animated film;
with Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder and Ron Perlman reprising their roles as voice actors.

If Sigourney Weaver was to return for any reason, this isn't a half-bad idea.
Resurrection's style always felt very "larger than life" anyways, a cartoon/anime depiction would suit it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2018, 03:49:08 PM
I'd love to see more stories where it's about some other purpose for the Aliens. That's ones of the things I loved in Cold Forge.
It may have been WY's original purpose but Blue was exploring them for something different.

Agreed.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Apparently Ripley was the only crewmember on the Nostromo who had any family or friends who'd miss her.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 13, 2018, 07:42:50 PM
Apparently Ripley was the only crewmember on the Nostromo who had any family or friends who'd miss her.
Yes!  And I believe if you strip the story down to it's bare essentials, there is something very compelling, to most everyone, in a tale of a father and his daughter looking for her mom. Or at least answers in regards to what happened to her. But sometimes... some questions should go left unanswered. <= Tagline   :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If my mom suddenly disappeared, my dad would just shrug and go about his day.  I think a lot of ex-husbands would do the same.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 13, 2018, 08:23:03 PM
If my mom suddenly disappeared, my dad would just shrug and go about his day.  I think a lot of ex-husbands would do the same.

LOL!

That's why it needs to be a case of they never stopped loving each other. That something else caused the separation than falling out of romantic love.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Yeah, even the Nostromo had some love from the company.  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed