Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 97,186 times)

brain_damage

brain_damage

Lol, that escalated quickly  :D

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Kimo on Nov 10, 2018, 09:53:28 PM
Just rewatched it since seeing it in the cinema when it was first released. I think I originally give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 back then. Now I'm giving it a 4 out of 10, what a pile of shit.

I really had it the other way around.

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

Only seen about 45mins of it but one thing I can say for certain is that the pacing of the film is utterly f**king dreadful. Bordering on the bizarre, even.

The introductions of Munn's and Tremblay's characters are the biggest culprits of shoddy editing I've seen so far.

In the case of Munn, I appreciate the decision to edit that scene (a decision I fully support) is a mitigating circumstance. But there's been zero attempt made to even ease her character in. She just appears on-screen with a face like a smacked arse and is immeditely taken by the MIB. Then "cut to dog". A dog we never even knew she had but we're to assume she's at a dog park as we see a pit bull sniff the arse of another breed for a split second prior.

Tremblay's intro is equally as stunted. Cut to chess club and a kid overseeing multiple games of chess -

"but, wait; weren't we just in the jungle? Or watching some dogs sniff each others' tail pipes?"

"Shush! And have some borderline on the nose autistic tics while you're at it"

"Oh, okay"

Very, very poor, that and can be easily construed as insensitive if viewed in a particular light.

I read the leaked script a few months ago and, while I wasn't a fan at all, I remember it being well-paced. It was the one stand out element of it, in fact.

The CGI is just f**king woeful in parts as well. The morhership reflected in the windscreen of the loony bus looked poor but would need a second viewing.

And the blood dripping onto the pred's face at the beginning was like the opening crawl of Daredevil, FFS.

The needle during the upgrading flashback was just painful to watch as well. Not because it was being injected into a Pred's forehead; but because it was so dreadfully shit it looked like someone was just lowering a digitally drawn needle in by hand.

This is without even touching on the shitshow that is the story.

The good parts are Captured and some of the interplay with the loonies.

Think there was potential for a nice set piece or two when the Ark/mothership shows up and Munn is giving chase on the structure over the dam, was it?

So far, though, the whole thing stinks of studio interference. It's haphazard, the story is shit and a lot of the visuals are lacklustre. Unfortunately, it's watchable dross. Barely.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Just rewatched it since seeing it in the cinema when it was first released. I think I originally give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 back then. Now I'm giving it a 4 out of 10, what a pile of shit.

I feel the same way. I actually had a good time watching it at the theatre and I enjoyed it (minus the stupid Predator Killer ending of course), but now I find myself really detesting this movie. I wish I could change my vote.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Billiken

Billiken

I think the second time I watch this the nostalgia will have worn off and I will be like oh shit. I enjoyed it in the cinema but I think I will be looking at it from a different angle second time round.  It's sad. What could have been. You have to give it to Fox they really know how to f**k something up. This was my thoughts during the cinema experience.

Start- with the predator ships. Okay have I walked in the right movie.

Hero using predator camouflage- Um weird.

30 minutes in-It's not too bad.

Lab break out- f**k that was pretty good.

Fugitive killed-Well that sucks

The heroes on top of the Predator ship as it's flying-Fun but absurd.

End scene-WTF

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Billiken on Nov 20, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
I think the second time I watch this the nostalgia will have worn off and I will be like oh shit. I enjoyed it in the cinema but I think I will be looking at it from a different angle second time round.  It's sad. What could have been. You have to give it to Fox they really know how to f**k something up. This was my thoughts during the cinema experience.

Start- with the predator ships. Okay have I walked in the right movie.

Hero using predator camouflage- Um weird.

30 minutes in-It's not too bad.

Lab break out- f**k that was pretty good.

Fugitive killed-Well that sucks

The heroes on top of the Predator ship as it's flying-Fun but absurd.

End scene-WTF

I'm really hopeful I enjoy "The Predator" more with repeat viewings. I did enjoy it in the theater too, but admittedly set a low bar and pretty much turned my brain off.

The scenes I had real fun with was the Fugitive breaking out of the lab, Casey waking up in the hotel room, almost every freaking scene Sterling K. Brown was in, the Super Upgrade's attack and hunt - using that razor line to decapitate those poor soldiers, oh man! The ark itself, and the crazy ship riding. And the cloak/shield. I like how Quinn went high, Nebraska went low and Neddles got it through the knees... while later the Predator got it through the arm.

All in all, even though it's not a great film, I do think/hope I'll be able to continually have fun with it.

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

One thing I actually really liked which hasn't been touched on (as far as I can tell) is the "weapons down" signal from captured to the loonies.

In terms of "what's right" in the traditional lore, I'm sure Captured's jokey/jovial nature won't go down well with the purists; but I thought Captured was the best thing about the film. I can appreciate why he was despatched so quickly to make Upgrade look even more menacing etc. But in the grand scheme of things, it was a shocking way to get rid of the best pred we've had since Jungle Hunter.

Being brutally honest, I lost all interest after Captured was killed. I'd read the script and spoilers the internet over so I knew what Inwas in for anyway, TBF; but once captured was gone I was just "meh".

Really am gutted at how this ended up.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Finally watched it.

Was bad. :-X

It was better than AvPR I guess.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

This movie just ruins everything that comes before it retroactively. In addition, they completely erode the suspension of disbelief with about every other scene in this movie. The humor in this movie was so off-putting and outright inappropriate for what was going on at the time. In words of Gordon Ramsay, "fusion confusion" was the culprit here. The tones were beyond fudged up. The pacing was like the wine bottle scene from Pan's Labyrinth...

This movie retroactively changed the entire lore of the Predators, changing the reason they collect skulls. They aren't for trophies! (despite having a trophy wall in Predator 2*). Oh no! Now we're upgrading with DNA spinal juice to turn Yautja into a 10 foot tall CGI monstrosity. The Predator isn't a super big threat anymore...it's become a parody of itself. We are now legitimately breaking the 4th wall and calling the Predator a Predator. Making jokes about the creature in cringey marvel copycat style. Remember the good old days when you saw a Yautja and were absolutely up a creek without a paddle? Pepperidge Farm remembers! Dutch, Billy, Mac, Anna, and the rest of the team just stared in horror and awe as a being that makes trophies of man kills the team off one by one.

While AVP makes people foam at the mouth - the first movie shows these alien hunters as honor-bound, trophy collecting warrior hunters. The fact that they have been changed into DNA modifying space invaders (global warming subplot) has betrayed the source material to the highest order.

They didn't make this as being a small faction in the movie - they had the Assassin Predator (who was tracking/hunting Fugitive Predator) talk to the other Predators by saying he was hunting "the traitor." It is assumed that this is the new norm now with the movie.

Why would a Predator "betray" their race? I understand the concept of bad bloods, but this is much different. If Fugitive came to earth to help us - why the hell does he cut down every single human he comes in contact with for the majority of his screen time? Armed base troopers, unarmed scientists, etc. Nobody is safe except naked  and unarmed Olivia Munn. At least they got that right. Christ.

The Predator. The fracking Predator. Kills a whole truck filled with MIB mercenary soldiers and cuts them to ribbons. He picks up a dismembered arm and poses the thumb into a "thumps up" gesture and pushes it into the driver cabin. The driver in turn buys it after hearing screams and wanton slaughter of his fellow soldiers. Again...somebody was paid to write this. I shit you not. You might think I'm joking. But I'm not. Why? Would the Predator bother? Did Jungle Hunter put Columbian militia uniforms to hunt Dutch and his team? No! Who. Wrote. This!?!

How does autism (ASD withstanding) count as a survival trait that Predators would want? The hell? Predators are already masters of technology - they have successfully folded space to travel giant distances in short periods of time, have plasma laser guns, and cloaking technology. Who wrote this?!

And the cringetastic "#^$* me with an aardvark!" every other scene. So now we're going to parody tourettes on top of autism.

Why does a nailgun shot to the head rewire how Predoggos work? Suddenly it's not hostile anymore? It's a derpy friendly gear-barfing carrying case? I don't understand. Why? Who wrote this?

And what the heck was with Olivia Munn's character? I know she was trying hard, but she was no Ripley. She went from an academic scholar of science to a grenade-launcher shooting 80's commando! Where the heck was all the years of military training that she had between the start and end of the movie? Firearms training takes a great deal of skill and practice to master to become effective with any of those weapons. Keep in mind - this is the same character from earlier in the movie, who shot herself in the foot with a tranquilizer gun and tried to shoot our heroes with a gun she believed to be loaded. Let that sink in. Somebody wrote this. Somebody was paid to write this.

And the "predator killer" - dafaq? This whole concept was terribad. Because Black did Iron Man 3, he couldn't think of anything else besides an iron man suit knockoff? The CGI in this movie looked like B-movie quality for the majority. Especially in the 3rd act. Bleh. Practical > CGI. This was written like a 12 year olds fan fiction.

This movie only works if you are drunk, have never seen a Predator movie, and enjoy "kitty cat" jokes every five seconds. If you are looking for anything of substance from the prior movies... avoid at all costs. This is an unmitigated disaster of untold proportions. The box office has reflected this flop domestically.

Edit: the final stats are in. It's not pretty.

Keep in mind with money-making as it comes to movies... I think it's something like 60% that goes to covering costs. After that, the rest goes to profit.

Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones

Finally saw this tonight. The first 40 minutes or so are ok but it goes straight to hell once the Predator dogs show up. The final scene is an embarrassment.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Just watch this for the first time today...it wasn't horrible but not great. If they would had not included the friendly pred dog, fix a few cgi moments and did not do that horrible credit scene then i think the movie would been a lil better.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 16, 2018, 08:03:20 AM

I feel the same way. I actually had a good time watching it at the theatre and I enjoyed it (minus the stupid Predator Killer ending of course), but now I find myself really detesting this movie. I wish I could change my vote.
I'm feeling the same. I have no desire to see it again.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huntsman on Dec 30, 2018, 07:09:15 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 16, 2018, 08:03:20 AM

I'm feeling the same. I have no desire to see it again.

While I still do get some enjoyment from "The Predator" (the first half mostly), I held the movie in higher regard too the first time I saw it... even above "Predators".  But since I got a few more repeat viewings under my belt, it has dropped.  :-\

But do I ever love all the Stargazer lab scenes!  ;D

Huntsman

Huntsman

I just need the first two films. If the other Pred films vanished overnight I wouldn't really lose much sleep.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed