User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: William Gibson's Alien 3  (Read 61035 times)

Corporal Hicks
Mar 30, 2019, 09:56:36 AM
Reply #975 on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:56:36 AM
Q
Im still waiting on the last issue but ive enjoyed the series so far. I havent had the problems other people seem to be having recognizing people and keeping track of whats happening. The only complaint i have is that the coloring is indeed too bright.

Otherwise its been a fun little what if.

Yeah, I can't say I've been having issues with character recognition either.

russ840
Mar 30, 2019, 04:36:33 PM
Reply #976 on: Mar 30, 2019, 04:36:33 PM
Q
Character identification isn’t a problem for me. My issue is that some scenes do not flow very well.

One example for me was the lab scene when the blonde woman turns and another character is going ape. There were about 6 characters present but because the architecture of the ship in the art looks all the same..... it was like i was reading two different scenes. I got a little lost and had to read back to realise it was all one scene and everyone was there. It just did not flow very well in my opinion.

I am really happy we got this and once i get through some ‘Swamp Thing’ that I am currently reading, ill be re reading in one sitting. More thoughts to come.

Kane's other son
Mar 31, 2019, 08:22:38 PM
Reply #977 on: Mar 31, 2019, 08:22:38 PM
Q
This is how it ends, not with a bang but a whimper. The boxy, generic USCSS Kansas City in the final page is the perfect encapsulation of everything that was wrong with this series.
Art aside, the script was a dud since we got no memorable new characters and the ones who crossed over from Aliens were wasted. Hicks was literally just along for the ride.

KiramidHead
Mar 31, 2019, 08:32:47 PM
Reply #978 on: Mar 31, 2019, 08:32:47 PM
Q
I still haven't read the last two issues, but the first three had a lot of cramped panel layouts. Gotta make room for six pages of ads somehow, I guess.

HuDaFuK
Apr 01, 2019, 10:28:09 AM
Reply #979 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:28:09 AM
Q
Character identification isn’t a problem for me. My issue is that some scenes do not flow very well.

I thought this too. I've actually read the script a few times and I still found it hard to keep track of what was going on where at times.

Corporal Hicks
Apr 01, 2019, 11:51:21 AM
Reply #980 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:51:21 AM
Q
There wasn't actually a great deal missing from the script. A couple of instances of dialogue and the biggest sequence was probably Halliday and Hicks' introduction. The ending is about as fast as it is in the script. It's a really faithful adaptation.

To it's detriment, I think. While I do love this particular draft, it did need a tidy. Things like Fox's motivation stuck out and the climax was rushed. While I like it's particularly faithful and not snipped down, I wouldn't have minded seeing Johnnie try and fix some elements.

Local Trouble
Apr 01, 2019, 04:19:38 PM
Reply #982 on: Apr 01, 2019, 04:19:38 PM
Q
For some reason, I always pictured Outland's visuals in my head whenever I read the Gibson script.  The comic had none of that though.

russ840
Apr 01, 2019, 08:12:40 PM
Reply #983 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:12:40 PM
Q
There wasn't actually a great deal missing from the script. A couple of instances of dialogue and the biggest sequence was probably Halliday and Hicks' introduction. The ending is about as fast as it is in the script. It's a really faithful adaptation.

To it's detriment, I think. While I do love this particular draft, it did need a tidy. Things like Fox's motivation stuck out and the climax was rushed. While I like it's particularly faithful and not snipped down, I wouldn't have minded seeing Johnnie try and fix some elements.

I always remember there being a lot more of an outbreak with far more of the new and traditional Aliens.  Is that the first draft that I have read or am I completely Of base and need to re read ?

I thought this too. I've actually read the script a few times and I still found it hard to keep track of what was going on where at times.

Could definitely have used a 6th issue to flesh the scenes out and be more clear throughout.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019, 08:15:07 PM by Russ840 »

The Dutch Ghost
Apr 01, 2019, 08:19:55 PM
Reply #984 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:19:55 PM
Q
I always remember there being a lot more of an outbreak with far more of the new and traditional Aliens.  Is that the first draft that I have read or am I completely Of base and need to re read ?

That was the first draft of the script in which there were many more people on the station including the presence of Colonial Marines.

This comic is based on the second version which is a bit more restrained regarding aliens and combat.

Corporal Hicks
Apr 01, 2019, 09:22:38 PM
Reply #985 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:22:38 PM
Q

Definitely thinking of the first draft. The second is much more restrained.

So RidgeTop and I just finished chatting to Johnnie. Interestingly, the Interceptor being a dropship came from Fox. His original concepts were more in line with the Defiant from Star Trek. He had also been expecting the colour pallette to be more in line with Alien/s.

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019, 09:30:37 PM by Corporal Hicks »

Local Trouble
Apr 01, 2019, 09:50:46 PM
Reply #986 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:50:46 PM
Q
Quite frankly, a Defiant ripoff doesn't sound any better.  In fact, if the Kansas City is any indication of what they do when they have actual creative freedom then I'm glad we got the dropship instead.

KiramidHead
Apr 01, 2019, 10:34:19 PM
Reply #987 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:34:19 PM
Q

So RidgeTop and I just finished chatting to Johnnie. Interestingly, the Interceptor being a dropship came from Fox. His original concepts were more in line with the Defiant from Star Trek. He had also been expecting the colour pallette to be more in line with Alien/s.

I take it my Easter joke didn't get passed along. :laugh:

russ840
Apr 02, 2019, 07:29:35 AM
Reply #988 on: Apr 02, 2019, 07:29:35 AM
Q

I don’t actually think I have read the second draft. For some reason I thought the one I read was the 2nd. It would be a nice extra to have in the Hardcover release. The script I mean.

Did you do a podcast with Johnnie ?

HuDaFuK
Apr 02, 2019, 09:35:59 AM
Reply #989 on: Apr 02, 2019, 09:35:59 AM
Q

Interesting/disappointing.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed