For those that have read the Script ( Spoilers)

Started by Ramjet311, Mar 16, 2018, 10:46:00 PM

Author
For those that have read the Script ( Spoilers) (Read 5,518 times)

Ramjet311

Ramjet311

I know there is a Script breakdown post but Im more interesting in gauging peoples opinions, and projections to what changes may happen within the Script. Being only a 1st draft there will be significant changes, but as we've seen by leaked pics, some things will change.
I feel the need to go into detail on certain things so here is the best place.

BigDaddyJohn

I'm nearly certain they will tune down the humour, better commercial strategy IMO

The Wolverine Predator

I think there will still be some humor, but mainly between the Loonies and some from Casey

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

funk_master_chunk

Right, I've read the script fully now (Big thanks to Skull Splitter and ElderClanLeader); and I can honestly say I'm equal parts excited and worried.

Spoiler

There are some parts which sound awful and some which sound good.

The Bad:

The overall feel, I think, is very 80s. I appreciate Dekker probably peaked in the 80s/early 90s, or that it's his 'style'; but it's "ultra 80s cheesy B movie" in parts.

The humour is too much. There are some parts of the script where it's just joke after joke after joke. This will probably be 30 seconds on-screen in real time; but it doesn't read well at all. Every character has (A LOT!) more "funny lines" than they ought to. Hoping the re-shoots addressed this as I thought it grew very tiresome, very quickly.

Still not happy about the kid being the saviour. It's not quite in fitting with the franchise and the way they acknowledge it throughout is poor, IMO. Especially with the Upgrade at the end.

The "subtle" (LOL!) nods to P1 were beyond a joke:

"You're one beautiful Motherf**ker"
"Get to the choppers"
"... there's something in the trees and it ain't no man"

They didn't sit well with me at all.

The dog pred getting tamed was just pathetic.

The general Spinal Fluid GM stuff. Just no.

Biggest culprit of all is the Upgrade. I feel it takes away from the lore/mythos. There's literally no need for it to exist, IMO.

The Good:

Some potential for some really nice set pieces in the script: Helicopter scenes, Bike Scene, Truck scene.

Some potential for nice visuals: Space Spiders in the basement scene.

I felt genuinely excited reading the script. I don't know of it's because I was excited to see what they had in store. Or the buzz of handling something I shouldn't have. FWIW, I don't think it was either; but there was a definite buzz when reading it.

It's well paced.

Overall, as a Predator fan, I was left feeling underwhelmed, if I'm being honest. I can't help but feel that if this wasn't a Pred film that I'd really enjoy it. But there are elements which turned me off straight away. One thing I didn't touch on above is the distinction they make between a 'Predator' and a 'Hunter'; while it's factually correct, it just stinks of them intending to change too much from the off with little to no regard for the existing mythology.

[close]

Malash

where can I read the script?

Jigsaw85

So I heard there are 8 upgraded predators in this movie, do they die easily? Like from simple machine gun fire?

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 02, 2018, 05:55:35 PM
So I heard there are 8 upgraded predators in this movie, do they die easily? Like from simple machine gun fire?

There are 8 "hybrids preds", not necessarily upgrades, + 2 hybrid preds that serves as hounds, most of them die by explosion. They have an explosive collar that the kid activates remotely to detonate.

Jigsaw85

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 02, 2018, 06:44:56 PM

There are 8 "hybrids preds", not necessarily upgrades, + 2 hybrid preds that serves as hounds, most of them die by explosion. They have an explosive collar that the kid activates remotely to detonate.

Oh god is this confusing. Why would the predators have explosive collars around their necks? Isn't hyberdizing part of their plan? Are they not free thinking predators or are they just freak science experiments gone wrong? Wtf is going on in this movie?

funk_master_chunk

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 02, 2018, 08:24:59 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 02, 2018, 06:44:56 PM

Oh god is this confusing. Why would the predators have explosive collars around their necks? Isn't hyberdizing part of their plan? Are they not free thinking predators or are they just freak science experiments gone wrong? Wtf is going on in this movie?

Spoilering this for anyone who doesn't want to know. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler

There are 3 'classic' preds. All of whom are 'heroes' and team up with the humans. The first one we see early on, The other 2 towards the end of the film.

There is one 'upgrade' who is the main villain. This one has been genetically modifying itself by taking DNA from the other aliens it's killed on it's various hunts.

There are TONS of hybrid 'preds' - (the upgrade has an army of them). They aren't like the classic or the upgrade ;  sort of failed science experiments of the Upgrades where it's likely tried to fuse it's DNA with that of it's trophies' before upgrading itself. The main ones are dogs (one of which becomes 'friendly') and spider types.
[close]

Jigsaw85

So i take it the hybrids are mindless monsters who don't use weapons.

funk_master_chunk

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 02, 2018, 08:58:20 PM
So i take it the hybrids are mindless monsters who don't use weapons.

Spoiler

Yes.

They have exploding collars on (which the Upgrade put on them) but that's it.

[close]

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

That might have changed since the predators in the trailer description were seen using weapons like a glaive.

Wysps

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on May 02, 2018, 02:28:50 PM
Right, I've read the script fully now (Big thanks to Skull Splitter and ElderClanLeader); and I can honestly say I'm equal parts excited and worried.

Spoiler

The Bad:

The overall feel, I think, is very 80s. I appreciate Dekker probably peaked in the 80s/early 90s, or that it's his 'style'; but it's "ultra 80s cheesy B movie" in parts.

The humour is too much. There are some parts of the script where it's just joke after joke after joke. This will probably be 30 seconds on-screen in real time; but it doesn't read well at all. Every character has (A LOT!) more "funny lines" than they ought to. Hoping the re-shoots addressed this as I thought it grew very tiresome, very quickly.

Still not happy about the kid being the saviour. It's not quite in fitting with the franchise and the way they acknowledge it throughout is poor, IMO. Especially with the Upgrade at the end.

"Get to the choppers"

Biggest culprit of all is the Upgrade. I feel it takes away from the lore/mythos. There's literally no need for it to exist, IMO.

The Good:

Some potential for some really nice set pieces in the script: Helicopter scenes, Bike Scene, Truck scene.

I felt genuinely excited reading the script. I don't know of it's because I was excited to see what they had in store. Or the buzz of handling something I shouldn't have. FWIW, I don't think it was either; but there was a definite buzz when reading it.

It's well paced.

Overall, as a Predator fan, I was left feeling underwhelmed, if I'm being honest. I can't help but feel that if this wasn't a Pred film that I'd really enjoy it. But there are elements which turned me off straight away. One thing I didn't touch on above is the distinction they make between a 'Predator' and a 'Hunter'; while it's factually correct, it just stinks of them intending to change too much from the off with little to no regard for the existing mythology.

[close]

Spoiler
Yes, particularly to these three points.  The dog pred turning tamed is especially cringey as all get out.  I can't handle it... the way it starts to follow the mains around after it gets shot and lets the loonies scratch its head.  It's too cute.  I like cute, but not in a Predator movie.  Especially from an animal that resembles a Predator. Wtf...

Speaking of Casey, that rapid change in the end from slightly badass, chill/withdrawn scientist to feral, snarling, tree-climbing Rambo is weird and forced.
[close]

funk_master_chunk

Quote from: Wysps on May 03, 2018, 12:40:25 AM
Quote from: funk_master_chunk on May 02, 2018, 02:28:50 PM

Spoiler

The Bad:

"Get to the choppers"

The Good:

It's well paced.

[close]

Spoiler
Yes, particularly to these three points.  The dog pred turning tamed is especially cringey as all get out.  I can't handle it... the way it starts to follow the mains around after it gets shot and lets the loonies scratch its head.  It's too cute.  I like cute, but not in a Predator movie.  Especially from an animal that resembles a Predator. Wtf...

Speaking of Casey, that rapid change in the end from slightly badass, chill/withdrawn scientist to feral, snarling, tree-climbing Rambo is weird and forced.
[close]

Spoiler

The dog pred screams 'MERCH!' to me. There's a generation now who have this kitsch ideology that the Pred & Xeno are 'cute' etc. It'll be Fox/Disney cashing in on that crowd, IMO.

Part of me does actually like the idea of a Predator having a dog (or hawk etc.) like in Predators; but it's been handled absolutely tragically. For a start they could at least make them the equivalent of Yautja wolves or something. NOt alien dog type things with pred heads. Or tusks.

I think Casey's character is somewhat misused. The "Beautiful motherf**ker" was just ridiculous; and as you say the sudden change in character was weird. I think they could've used the character better.

One thing which I didn't understand, though, was the main pred allowed itself to be captured but we find out at the end that it was a defector like the other 2 preds. Now, I appreciate that Stargazer were against the Military; but it seems odd to me that the pred would go to the lengths of playing dead just to infiltrate Stargazer to retrieve weapons it knew weren't going to be there (as McKenna took them and it 'wakes up' immediately after he takes it's gear); when it could've just contacted the other 2 defectors in the first place and avoided all kinds of mayhem in the process. That plothole will haunt me.

Said it a few times now, but hope the reshoots resolve a lot.
[close]

Xerxész

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on May 03, 2018, 09:00:23 AM
One thing which I didn't understand, though, was the main pred allowed itself to be captured but we find out at the end that it was a defector like the other 2 preds. Now, I appreciate that Stargazer were against the Military; but it seems odd to me that the pred would go to the lengths of playing dead just to infiltrate Stargazer to retrieve weapons it knew weren't going to be there (as McKenna took them and it 'wakes up' immediately after he takes it's gear); when it could've just contacted the other 2 defectors in the first place and avoided all kinds of mayhem in the process. That plothole will haunt me.

If I remember well the 2 other Predators are at the Military (in quarantine), not at the Stargazers. So the Captured can not contact the others.
How I imagine the situation: The Captured (let's call him so) does not know who stole his devices. He kills everyone of McKenna's team and then comes the Stargazer team which he can not defeat (maybe they have more firepower than the special force) so he decides to let himself captured.
So, the Military misses the chance to capture the Captured Predator, but the Stargazers manage to do it. That's why the Captured can not contact the others (maybe he is not even aware of the 2 Defectors' existence).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed